StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Which Broker/Platform do you use?<< >>Post Follow-up
arimont
57 posts
msg #130267
Ignore arimont
8/4/2016 5:16:12 AM

BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE:
If this thread is in any way against the rules - please forgive me and delete it.

I am currently using Generaltrade as my broker/platform, and I am NOT that satisfied with it.
They have a limited platform which doesn't have many features that I would like to have in a serious trading platform, such as Conditional Orders (they introduced it in their last version but it still needs A LOT of improvement), Stock Scanner/Screener other than Hi/Lo ticker (which has its own limitations), poor and limited Keyboard Shortcuts to improve the speed of placing orders (important during Day Trading), they don't have a mobile app but a lame mobile-friendly website that gives the option to see quotes and perform only basic orders, and above all this they have a poor Customers Support.

I have "played" with ThinkOrSwim free account (they give a free demo with delayed data) for a long time. Their platform is awesome (the software and the mobile app) but their fees are way too high (everything comes with a price...)

I was wondering, and doing some real-world traders "survey", which Broker/Platform does other people use, their experience with it, their inputs, which gives a good Platform with reasonable fees and costs.

I am not representing any Broker or promoting any Platform. I am just a guy looking for a better one.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #130271
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
8/4/2016 8:52:09 AM

I am currently using IB for trading, Fidelity for long term investments. IB commissions may be touted as low cost, but if you are trading more than 1000 shares on any trade you will start to find that the commissions get higher than other brokers with a flat fee structure. That is why I try to avoid trading stocks priced below $10.

Any meaningful trade on a penny stock will be significantly impacted by commissions. Example - buy 10,000 shares of a $0.50 stock ($5000 invested) and the commissions at IB will be $0.005 x 10,000 = $50 per side, or $100 in total, versus maybe $15-20 for other brokers). Other than that they are quite good - lots of order types and reasonable sourcing of stocks to short (maybe the best out there right now).

pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #130275
Ignore pthomas215
8/4/2016 11:04:35 AM

I use several. my two cents on this would be that imo the TD Ameritrade phone application is excellent for frequent trading. meaning it helps if you have to run out, use your phone to assess and view the relevant data at a glance.

novacane32000
331 posts
msg #130276
Ignore novacane32000
8/4/2016 11:16:34 AM

IB
Fidelity
TDA
Motif

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #130277
Ignore johnpaulca
8/4/2016 11:50:16 AM

TOS
Questrade

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #130283
Ignore mahkoh
8/4/2016 3:31:14 PM

IB
IC markets for forex
Currently have a demo account to check out choicetrade for lowpriced stocks. Very basic interface but good flat comissions

wcurtis
54 posts
msg #130344
Ignore wcurtis
8/9/2016 11:44:57 AM

Quote Tracker ( http://quotetracker.com/ ) real time charts are by far the very best Platform I've worked with. At TDAmeritrade it was at no cost, but now it's being canceled and everyone is being switched to Thinkorswim.
I downloaded Thinkorswim and what mess !!!! Code writers on steroids could not have made it worse !! They have literally stuffed
25 pounds of baloney into a 3 pound bag. Way too much information and you can only select from what they have to offer.
Example : 5 minute chart, but you have to take 5 days of it !
I was wondering SF could pick up Quote Tracker and incorporate into their site ?

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #130345
Ignore johnpaulca
8/9/2016 11:54:38 AM

Example : 5 minute chart, but you have to take 5 days of it !
************************************************************************************

go to:

style- intraday- today- 5mins to get 1 day of 5mins

wcurtis
54 posts
msg #130349
Ignore wcurtis
8/9/2016 9:05:18 PM

Thanks johnpaulca, that helped me get started ! This is going take a while. I'm sure I'll think it out as I swim along. One of the things I really like about SF is the way people take the time to help each other. I've been trading a long time now and I still feel like a rookie. Thanks again !

arimont
57 posts
msg #130351
Ignore arimont
8/10/2016 8:20:37 AM

@ wcurtis:
I have to disagree regarding TOS. imo its one of the best platforms. it is completely customizable, it has a lot of built-in indicators and features, but they charge WAY too high in commissions!
I am considering now to switch to IB. their 0.005 per-share commission is reasonable for me, and from what I hear they have a good trading platform and some good research/scan tools (for 99.95 per month...)

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Which Broker/Platform do you use?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.