StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Within x% of the high<< >>Post Follow-up
jbusch
4 posts
msg #86219
Ignore jbusch
1/14/2010 9:48:58 AM

Hi, I'm creating a breakout filter, and one of the components of the screen is that a stock should be within 10% of its 3-month high. I tried using this...

"and price is within 10% of its 12 week high"

... but I am getting a syntax error. Could someone please help me phrase this correctly? I'm sure it's a simple fix.

heypa
283 posts
msg #86229
Ignore heypa
1/14/2010 11:10:32 AM

I would use close > 90 percent of close 13 week high.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #86302
Ignore miketranz
modified
1/14/2010 4:47:24 PM

J,just keep your eye on the 12 wk highs list for stocks that are breaking out.The move is already confirmed.If it's a high volume,long range day move,buy on the close for entry.Your method is more like stalking and waiting for a move to occur.Not a bad method,just a lot of waiting.Also,the best breakouts come off long consolidations...

jbusch
4 posts
msg #86346
Ignore jbusch
1/15/2010 8:45:53 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Heypa, your language didnt' work for some reason. The syntax was accepted, but it was excluding several stocks that were within 10% of the high.

heypa
283 posts
msg #86372
Ignore heypa
1/15/2010 12:55:11 PM

You're probably right. Stockfetcher sometimes has several ways to arrive at the results you are looking for,but there will be unexpected differences. It's a computer. It's a software program. If you're smart enough you can research it and probably solve the problem. For me it's not worth it. I don't expect perfection or I wouldn't use any small hand held calculator to make up foe my arithmetic inadequacies.

SAFeTRADE
630 posts
msg #86406
Ignore SAFeTRADE
1/16/2010 1:00:22 AM

You might try the following.

set{screen, close / high 3 month high}

screen > .90
screen < 1.

four
5,087 posts
msg #86408
Ignore four
1/16/2010 3:15:32 AM

Fetcher[
set{hi, close*1.00}
set{newhigh, new close 120 day high}

draw hi on plot newhigh
add column hi
add column newhigh
add column newhighs
set{newhighs, count(hi equals newhigh,100)} > 0
close > 1
volume > 1000000
do not draw newhighs
]

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Within x% of the high<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.