StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Zacks Stock Challenge Competition Winner<< >>Post Follow-up
aeropharoh
1 posts
msg #45572
Ignore aeropharoh
7/8/2006 4:11:08 PM

The winner of the 2nd Quarter ZACKS stock challenge

http://woas.zacks.com/adv/schallengeQ206/

traded under the alias of "shoelessjoe". Shoeless Joe's trading record
during the competition was exceptional producing 1,810.48% profit over
a 3 month period. Also exceptional was the consistency of the approach
which produced a very high percentage of winning trades and very very
modest draw down while trading the account relatively aggressively
(typically, each trade involved commitment of approximately 20~25% of the
account's value).

The trading history of this winning competitor can be found on the web
at

http://simulator.zacks.com/Trade/TradeOverview.aspx?UserID=482072&UserName=shoelessjoe&GameID=33367

After reviewing the trading history of Shoeless Joe it is apparent that
shoeless employed a disciplined system of short term trades (frequently
on periods of 30 minutes to several hours) using very high beta high momentum stocks to achieve his exceptional results.

Is anyone aware of a system or combination of techniques that could
produce this kind of performance?

Can anyone suggest a real time stock scanning system that identifies short term high momentum trades in attempt to duplicate the performance of shoelessjoe in this Zack Stock competition?

Further information including a player interview of shoelessjoe is available on the ZACKS.com web site at the following URL:

http://at.zacks.com/?id=2518

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #45586
Ignore guru_trader
7/9/2006 4:26:21 AM

Have you looked at this ... http://www.trade-ideas.com/StockInfo/ ... mixed opinions on it, however

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #45588
Ignore guru_trader
7/9/2006 4:43:04 AM

Can you follow this guy's trades as he makes them? That would be nice.

glm47
51 posts
msg #45614
Ignore glm47
7/10/2006 1:06:15 AM

The problem with the Zacks and Investopedia stock competitions (use the same software) and others like them are the fact that they use 20 minute delayed stock price data. It is very simple to be the winner of the competitions if you have nothing better to do than simply place orders for stocks you have just watched rise in price in the last 20 mins...

No merit should be given to the winners of these competitions because they are not realistic. Now, if you can find a competition that uses real time data and realistic order entry, you would have something worth effort and which winning would mean something...

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #45627
Ignore nikoschopen
7/10/2006 3:13:24 PM

Well, in that case, what stops you from posting ure trades in realtime?

Here's a simple format to use when posting in realtime: B1000XYZ@25.16 (literally it means you bought 1000 shares of XYZ at $25.16; use "S" for sell, "H" for short, and "C" for short-cover).

glm47
51 posts
msg #45642
Ignore glm47
7/10/2006 6:48:49 PM

Ill tell you why Nik, because I for one, am too damn lazy to go verifying other peoples posts...

In this day and age it is very easy to have software record and verify all the transactions for the participants. Its just a matter of time before one of the big financial sites implements a real time stock trading simulator that the masses can use.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #45643
Ignore nikoschopen
7/10/2006 6:57:22 PM

Now I never mentioned anything about verification. I was merely suggesting that in order to circumvent the problems associated with delayed quotes you should just type ure trades in realtime. Whether anyone is willing to verify ure statements, let alone believe them, is another matter.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #45644
Ignore nikoschopen
7/10/2006 7:09:15 PM

According to Investopedia, it appears that they do take cautionary measures to prevent cheating.

When you purchase a security, there will be a delay of around 20 minutes before you can see it in your portfolio.

The reason this occurs is because we use a delayed datafeed from the stock exchange. That is, with delayed data, a quote you get now actually reflects the price of the stock 20 minutes ago. It is possible to get real-time quotes, but exchanges charge a premium for this type of data. Because of this there are no plans to add real-time quotes at this time.

As a result, our delay in filling orders for 20 minutes makes all trades more realistic. For example, say at 1:10 PM ABC company has a positive announcement that sends the stock immediately spiking up 10%. If we didn't delay the order a user with access to real-time quotes could place a trade for ABC knowing that the stock is actually trading higher than the price reflected in our delayed quote. Instead, at around 1:30 PM, the order will be shown in the user's portfolio at correct price at the time the order was placed. Orders that have been placed but not filled can be viewed on the open trades page.

(Source: http://simulator.investopedia.com/help/Delay.aspx)

glm47
51 posts
msg #45649
Ignore glm47
modified
7/10/2006 9:58:27 PM

It sounds great on paper, but go ahead and try using their system. I tried paper trading it a while back and it was terrible. On numerous occasions I placed long and short trades at market value to come back later and find them not placed.

With regards to short term trades like scalps, the fact that you don't get immediate (within a few secs like a real trading platform) acknowledgement of your trades made it unuseable - to me at least...

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #45665
Ignore nikoschopen
7/11/2006 11:02:46 AM

If you haven't already noticed, I'm a raving cynic when it comes to paper trading. Ure welcome to follow my realtime trades faithfully posted on my S&P E-mini thread.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Zacks Stock Challenge Competition Winner<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.