StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ? can anybody find this BIO-Tech company ?<< >>Post Follow-up
mystiq
650 posts
msg #79653
Ignore mystiq
9/19/2009 5:36:33 AM

This Company’s Failure Clears Your Path to Real Stem Cell Fortunes
By Patrick Cox
September 18, 2009

On Wednesday, Septemer 23, one CEO’s presentation to the biotechnology community could change the future as we know it — and make you incredibly wealthy in the process…

Now, with one company’s failure all but assured, our path to stem cell fortunes is clearer than it’s ever been.

If you had been listening to mainstream financial media, you probably believed that Osiris (NASDAQ: OSIR) was going to be the first company to deliver real stem cell-based therapies. Now Osiris is all but out of the running…

I’ve written about Osiris several times in the past to my Breakthrough Technology Alert readers, always to explain why I wasn’t recommending its stock. Briefly, I’ll recap.

Osiris has led the effort to utilize adult or mesenchymal stem cells. These MSCs are found in bone marrow and are capable of becoming multiple types of tissues. They are, therefore, “multipotent” stem cells. Embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells, however, can become any cell types. They are, therefore, “pluripotent.”

Osiris was working on ways to jump the hurdles associated with programming embryonic stem cells to do specific tasks. This was before it became known that one researcher had figured out how to convert any cell in your body to an induced pluripotent stem cell with all the same potentials of embryonic stem cells. Big Pharm invested considerable hope and money in OSIR’s technology as a result.

At the time, I speculated that MSCs might have some therapeutic value, but even so, they would inevitably be superseded by pluripotent stem cells. I’ve spoken on several occasions to Osiris people, including one of its top scientists. He told me the company believed its MSC therapies had a 15-year window of profitability. Then he admitted programmed pluripotent cells would take the market away from less-effective MSCs.

I didn’t believe the 15-year projection for several reasons. One, I knew about the progress being made by elsewhere by one very exciting company. They’d essentially developed a methodology for cracking the programming codes that turn pluripotent cells into specific cell types.

The company has already announced the discovery and successful creation of various cell types, including cartilage cells. Recently, as you know, the platform won the biggest grant in the history of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine. Cartilage, incidentally, was the focus of Osiris’ MSC efforts. It was also testing what it believed were immune-suppressive qualities of MSCs.

Last week, however, it was announced that Osiris’ MSC-derived Prochymal failed two late-stage studies. The company’s stock plunged and the CFO resigned, “to pursue new professional opportunities, effective immediately.”

So what does this mean for stem cell stocks? It means that Big Pharm’s attention is returning to the stem cells that we know turn into cartilage: pluripotent stem cells. All the cartilage in your body, for example, came from embryonic stem cells. Now induced pluripotent stem cells can do the same thing.

Osiris, however, was among those companies that hoped a shortcut to effective SC therapies existed in MSCs. That hope has apparently been dashed, or at least severely set back.

This leaves a single researcher, the creator of the regenerative medicine industry, in the veritable catbird seat. Once again, I’m awed by his vision and dedication.

And as I’ve mentioned, on September 23, his presentation could be the next catalyst for his company’s share price to rocket — why not, the company has already shot up 150% in 2009. And with the developments going on behind the scenes, the chances of seeing even more triple-digit growth are phenomenal. If you’d like the full details on this company, just read my latest report — but hurry, the door’s closing fast on this amazing opportunity…

For transformational profits,
Patrick Cox

P.S.: If you’re serious about getting a chance to profit from the most lucrative market of the next century, you have to act before next Wednesday. After that, investors will be stuck with the scraps. But I truly want you to join my Breakthrough Technology Alert readers in this amazing opportunity, so until Wednesday, I’m going to give you a huge discount on my research. Click here for everything you need to know…

(-.-) can anybody figure out which BIOTECH will take the lead?

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #79657
Ignore trendscanner
9/19/2009 8:58:26 AM

mystiq, I'm don't know exactly which company is referred to here but I think I've narrowed down the possibilities.

A quick Google search shows the 2009 World Stem Cell Summit happening in Baltimore, Sept 21-23.

http://www.worldstemcellsummit.com/

Long list of academic heavyweights speaking at this conference.

Checking the presentation agenda on the website shows 10 CEOs from biotech companies speaking. Eliminating privately owned companies and Osiris narrows the potential list down to: Celgene (CELG), StemCells, Inc, (STEM) Stem Cell Therateutics (SSS.V), Neostem (NBS), and Biotime (BTIM)

CELG hasn't shot up 50% this year. Probably not the company he's referring to.

NBS is up about 400% YTD. Looks like an interesting company, might be the one he's referring to, although price increase doesn't match.

Couldn't find anything on Stem Cell Therapeutics (SSS.V from Yahoo),maybe its delisted

STEM shot way up early this year but came back down, up about 50% for the year and in a long flat base. Seems unlikely this is who he's referring to but possibly.

BTIM has had a nice uptrend this year, up from about 1.80 on Jan 1 to about 4.50 on Friday. That just about meets the up 150% he mentions.If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably referring to BTIM. BTIM looks like a buy to me on a pullback.

STEM has what may be the strongest academic and scientific team of that group. If they develop something marketable, they might take off from their base pretty quickly.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #79660
Ignore chetron
modified
9/19/2009 10:02:44 AM

BTIM IS THE ONLY COMPANY WITH AN ACTIVE CIRM GRANT

Fetcher[

SYMLIST(BTIM)

]

mystiq
650 posts
msg #79700
Ignore mystiq
9/20/2009 2:58:16 AM

Thx guys! BTIM looks like IT.

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #79708
Ignore trendscanner
9/20/2009 9:07:34 AM

Cheton, thanks for the CRIM link. I spent some time looking at their website and downloaded their 2008 annual report. About $800 million in grants already awarded and maybe another $billion in the pipeline. Lots of matching contributions being made by private investors and research foundations. Most of the money went to California state universities, which makes sense since it's state taxpayer dollars. But Stanford also got $110,000,000 and was the largest single recipient. With that kind of money and the level of bain power involved, I'm sure there will be some companies associated with this industry that will eventually be 5 or 10 bagger stocks.

Not too many publically traded companies appear to be in the thick of this so far. The ones presenting at the global conference are probably the ones to watch. BTIM is one of only a few publically traded company that received a grant (about $4,000,000). Stanford's director of stem cell research is a scientific advisor to STEM and one of his former post-doc students leads STEM's research efforts. I expect they'll figure out a practical application of this technology at some point.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #79709
Ignore chetron
9/20/2009 10:19:29 AM

HOW DID YOU COME ACROSS THE BELOW INFO?

Stanford's director of stem cell research is a scientific advisor to STEM and one of his former post-doc students leads STEM's research efforts

TIA CHETRON

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #79713
Ignore trendscanner
9/20/2009 11:08:54 AM

On STEM's home page, http://www.stemcellsinc.com/company/scientificfounders.html

under the Company's Scientific Founders

Irving L. Weissman
Irving L. Weissman, M.D., is the Karel and Avice Beekhuis Professor of Cancer Biology, Professor of Pathology, and Professor of Developmental Biology at Stanford University and Director of the Stanford Institute for Cancer/Stem Cell Biology and Medicine, Palo Alto, California. Dr. Weissman's lab was responsible for the discovery of the first ever mammalian stem cell, the hematopoietic (blood-forming) stem cell. Dr. Weissman was responsible for the formation of three stem cell companies, SyStemix, Inc., StemCells, Inc., and Cellerant, Inc. He is a member of the Board of Directors and Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Boards of StemCells and Cellerant. Dr. Weissman co-discovered the mammalian and human hematopoietic stem cells and the human neural stem cell. Past achievements of Dr. Weissman's laboratory include identification of the states of development between stem cells and mature blood cells and identification of the states of thymic lymphocyte development. More recently, his laboratory at Stanford has developed accurate mouse models of human leukemias, and has shown the central role of inhibition of programmed cell death in that process. Dr. Weissman has been elected to the National Academy of Sciences. He has received the Kaiser Award for Excellence in Preclinical Teaching, the Pasarow Foundation Award, and the Outstanding Investigator Award from the National Institutes of Health

From the Management page on same website

Nobuko Uchida, Ph.D., VP, Stem Cell Biology
Dr. Nobuko Uchida is responsible for the Company's discovery initiative focusing on identifying new stem or progenitor cells, as well as for characterizing the Company's human neural stem cell and candidate liver and pancreas stem cells. Dr. Uchida has been with the Company since 1998, and in 1999 she was first to identify, by cell surface marker, the human central nervous system stem cell. Dr. Uchida was previously employed at SyStemix, Inc. as a Research Scientist working on hematopoietic stem cell biology, and has worked in stem cell biology for the past 15 years. Dr. Uchida obtained her Ph.D. in Cancer Biology from Stanford University and completed her post doctoral training in the laboratory of Dr. Irving Weissman at the Stanford University School of Medicine.

Their other founders have impressive credentials and experience too.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #79790
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/21/2009 3:59:05 PM

GOD, I hope somebody bought this this morning - up $1.10 (+24.55%)!!

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #79804
Ignore trendscanner
9/21/2009 7:19:58 PM

I was watching STEM on and off during the day to see if anything was happening but it was flat. Wasn't watching BTIM, it had already run up a bit last week beyond where I felt comfortable buying. Worth watching for a pull back opportunity though.

STEM is sitting on support, probably a safe buy right now, safe in the sense that it's not likely to drop precipitously in the near term. Could make a move upward if they have something good to discuss at the confereence but might end up being a flat trade. Reward/risk ratio is probably favorable, from that perspective, since there's potential upside but not much downside risk.

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #79942
Ignore 13th_floor
9/23/2009 8:12:30 PM

BTIMW..... ummm,ummm...been a nice ride

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ? can anybody find this BIO-Tech company ?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.