StockFetcher Forums · Announcements · StockFetcher Backtesting Discontinued on August 1, 2015<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>Post Follow-up
Mactheriverrat
3,132 posts
msg #124092
Ignore Mactheriverrat
6/18/2015 11:06:18 PM

Never used back testing much. To me its a good setup that show the stocks that look the best.
IMHO!

sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #124093
Ignore sohailmithani
modified
6/19/2015 12:07:51 AM

I am now confused and feel lost. What is SF trying to tell us here? SF please help in understanding your ideas on analyzing data and results and how a selected stock has performed. What? What? Give us the whole picture and not just glimpses.
First you just abruptly decided to discontinue BT from Aug 1st and now confusing us more with your future ideas.

You are saying that SF is spending more resources on fixing BT then the number of users actually using it. If the quality of the initial launch is no good then you are bound to spend more resources trying to make it competitive and user friendly. e.g. I remember Kevin asking for Sharpe Ratio or I asked you guys several times about some stocks showing in filter and I bought but not in BT and you never responded because you did not have one. There are for sure several other examples justifying my comment about quality of BT launched initially.

Let BT continue till Dec 31st and Jan 2016 discontinue it. This will help most of your loyal and long time customers and till Dec share with us your ideas. That to me would be a professional approach. Thanks

four
5,087 posts
msg #124095
Ignore four
modified
6/19/2015 11:33:33 AM

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/features/bottle-to-cup?page=2

How to Switch Your Baby From Bottle to Cup

Your child should know how to drink out of a cup before you take away the bottle. Many pediatricians tell parents to introduce sippy cups around 6 to 9 months. That's when kids commonly start drinking water and other liquids besides formula and breast milk.

If, from a young age, you start giving some milk (not just water) in sippy or regular cups, then things will be easier when you're ready to get rid of the bottle for good, Richel says.

Change Management: Suggested steps for going bottle to cup and communication with users/customers:

In other words, leave the old system in place, provide no other updates (freeze date is 6/19/2015).

Introduce new system - roll-out- (fill-in date here) and let us kids play and provide feedback. Provide heavy communication about bells and whistles with the new system.

Shouldn't take the bottle away before we have tried the cup.

Just another thought...

4 posts
msg #124096
Ignore 111580
6/19/2015 12:00:35 PM

I use the backtesting all the time within the limitations as is and find it very profitable and useful. Actually I find the simplicity a plus. If it's an issue of using up teck support resources how about dropping that. I don't find I need to contact you much over backtesting. What if you just left it running and told people they were on their own or had to use a backtest forum? I am not opposed to different ways of testing filters but I have found BT very useful and I am not inclined to fix something that ain't broke.

SFMc01
358 posts
msg #124100
Ignore SFMc01
6/20/2015 2:16:50 PM

I’m a long time subscriber to StockFetcher and have been pleased overall. The Backtesting capability has been important to me,

I use the stock scanning feature daily on many many filters. I use the Backtesting feature much less often but that in no way means that it is not important to me.

I do not expect the Stockfetcher backtesting feature to be “perfect” and it isn’t. It does not permit me to sufficiently specify either my entry or my exit criteria. That being said, it saves me a tremendous amount of time and effort by limiting the number of possible trades and the amount of effort required to examine each possibility in detail. In fact, I need this capabiloity to make an assesment of whether the scan will generate satisfactory results. I expect to spend lots of time with the backtesting and filter results. I look for backtesting to be a help to me and not the end all in itself.
Without the backtesting capability in StockFetcher, I will need to see if I can find a substitute. I’m presently a full time profitable trader and, consequently, it’s not urgent. Even though I would prefer to not spend the time and effort doing it, I’ll just have to. It’s probable, therefor, that at some time in the future, I’ll be dropping my subscription.

sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #124101
Ignore sohailmithani
6/20/2015 3:09:30 PM

Anyone with SF like backtest and daily filter developments and screening system option?

It is important that the system has separate market options like applying a particular filter to SP100 only or Russell 1000 only.

I use Amibroker but managing data for SP100, SP500, Nasdaq 100 etc is complicated.
Anything which solves this data issue and has SF or AB like capabilities would work for me.

Anyone pleeeease

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #124102
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
6/20/2015 4:29:20 PM

StrataSearch lets you back test as far back as 1980 for most stocks. There is a survivorship bias but that happens with most stock software anyway, and I do not see it as a limitation if your are focused on the last 10 years or so. It lets you use lots of predefined sectors, or create your own. The code is easy to learn, and far more versatile than SF if you are willing to invest some time in learning it. Subscription is $30 a month.

I only use SS for system development and back testing. Not sure why I maintain my SF account, since it seems that they ignore requests to make the code better and do dumb things like drop functionality rather than improve it.

sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #124110
Ignore sohailmithani
6/21/2015 10:57:49 PM

Thanks Kevin.

I found BloodHoundSystem on teh web which has 3 levels of subscriptions. Their Professional level is almost $2000 a year but has "Delisted Stocks to Avoid Survivorship Bias". May be this is the one which removes all doubts in any system we create and test.

wilson
15 posts
msg #124113
Ignore wilson
6/22/2015 3:13:14 AM

Dear Stockfetcher,

To say I'm bent out of shape would be an understatement...you guys are completely pulling the rug out from underneath us. What is the point of creating and modifying filters, for hours, endlessly to NOT be able to see their past performance? How EXACTLY am I supposed to know if my filter is good, bad or great? I simply do not get what the point of creating filters is if one cannot backtest them? Is that too commonsensical, or am i missing something? I personally use the back testing feature endlessly, almost daily. Constantly making modifications, tweaks and running backtest filters over and over and over again. Is the system perfect? No. Is it good enough? YES. IT IS! I do not buy your reasoning, and am of the firm belief that you should just leave it and stop working on it. if its such a burden. But for crying out loud DON'tT GET RID OF IT!!?? PLEASE DO NOT!! Without being able to backtest, your system is rendered in effect to something that can only be monitored in real time and stripping away at the POWER of stockfetcher. Backtesting filters created with stockfetcher is a powerful, simple and unique service that many of your members RELY ON to trade. I implore you to reconsider.

your loyal member wilson

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #124115
Ignore karennma
6/22/2015 9:13:44 AM

Re: "stockfetcher
894 posts
msg #124046 6/16/2015 5:35:23 PM
There are many reasons we are discontinuing this service; partly due to limitations in the data we support, but also business related due to the high cost of supporting the backtesting service compared to the very low level of customer interest.
Here's my 0.02 cents ...
If it's "costly" to SF to support backtesting, then get rid of it!
Users will still be able to utilize the "date offset" feature or the "chart-time" feature to do their backtests.
Works great!

StockFetcher Forums · Announcements · StockFetcher Backtesting Discontinued on August 1, 2015<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.