StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · PORTFOLIO SELECTION AND MANAGEMENT USING RISK/REWARD RATIOS<< 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 65 >>Post Follow-up
jackmack
334 posts
msg #111824
Ignore jackmack
2/27/2013 12:22:31 PM

Looks like tomorrow will be a move out of EFA and into IWM?
Kevin - is that correct?

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #111825
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
2/27/2013 12:51:38 PM

YUP - hopefully that fiscal cliff thingy doesn't make the first part of the month ugly.

jackmack
334 posts
msg #111826
Ignore jackmack
2/27/2013 1:04:48 PM

I've learned that if you turn of CNBlastC - there is no noice - just the charts.
It's kind of nice actually ;-)
Thank you
Cheers

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #112041
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
3/4/2013 2:35:09 PM

Web site was updated this weekend - I am also looking at an earlier filter from this thread.

Here is a slight variation of it -

Fetcher[

symlist(spy,efa,iwm,agg)
set{roc1, roc(21,1)}
set{roc3, roc(63,1)}
set{alpha1a, relative strength(SPY,21)*100}
set{alpha1, alpha1a - 100}
set{alpha3a, relative strength(SPY,63)*100}
set{alpha3, alpha3a - 100}
set{alpha, alpha1 + alpha3}
add column roc1
add column roc3
add column alpha1 {1 month alpha}
add column alpha3 {3 month alpha}
add column alpha {alpha score}
sort on column 9 descending

]

Just a simple sum of the one and three month look backs. Both this and the standard three month lookback point to fully investing in US Small Caps (IWM) for March. I am currently 100% in small caps in all of my investment accounts for this month.

voidcomp
23 posts
msg #112062
Ignore voidcomp
3/5/2013 10:49:20 AM

Your revision more closely aligns to the default ETFReplay model.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #112064
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
3/5/2013 11:38:39 AM

Yes, except they also incorporate volatility, so the results are different (but aligned, as you had indicated). If you have an ETFreplay account, can you compare these two setting volatility to zero for both? I would like to see how the two variations compare in their backtesting.

blumberg
27 posts
msg #112071
Ignore blumberg
3/5/2013 7:55:35 PM

IWM broke out of a massive cup and handle on a weekly time frame back in December. It's been on a tear ever since. The future looks very bright for the US stock market, especially for smaller companies.

sohailmithani
192 posts
msg #112080
Ignore sohailmithani
3/6/2013 11:42:56 AM

Hi Kevin
Can you please let me know which page can I see the results of the current startegy that you are using? Is it page 7?

Thanks

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #112081
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
3/6/2013 12:24:05 PM

The standard is a 3 month lookback, but since we cannot get SF to provide monthly data the simplest approach is to simply use an offset, and change it each month:

To make it simple, this is the filter we used for March, run on the last day in February:

Fetcher[
symlist(spy,iwm,efa,agg)
offset 11/30/2012
]

and through this month you use the following (and on 3/29 look at who is in the lead and invest accordingly):

Fetcher[
symlist(spy,iwm,efa,agg)
offset 12/31/2012
]

Just use the last column to see the performance of each asset class, and stay with the leader. If you want to use the 1 month + 3 month hybrid filter, it is listed above. Both point to IWM for March.

voidcomp
23 posts
msg #112082
Ignore voidcomp
3/6/2013 1:14:10 PM

Yes, ETFReplay can set volatility to 0 and weight either of the 2 time periods to whatever.

I'll make a brief plug (I have no financial interest) in saying my initial interest in subscribing was the easy way in which it takes the best aspects of the momentum strategy in a way which requires no coding. It's really a top flight analysis tool especially suited to risk adverse, longer term investors.

You discover that the easiest way to minimize drawdown and keep trading to a minimum is to keep your 'universe' of ETF's conservative with a hefty dose of total allocation heavily weighted to short or intermediate term bond/reverse-bond//market neutral ETF's. I sometimes get the impression on this forum that some love the returns but can't put up with the volatility. Go figure :)

What makes it especially powerful is the optional added criteria that even the top performer(s) must be above some moving average to pass muster for purchase. This avoids purchasing the 'best of the worst' scenario where everything is tanking.

As you can imagine most of the conservative strategies have greatly underperformed the broad market this year ... as it should.

Finally, one of the most overlooked strategy modules within ETFReplay (which also happens to be the simplest) is their 'Ratio MA' backtest which divides one ETF by another, then throws a moving average (or 2 moving average) on the chart to tell you which one to be in.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · PORTFOLIO SELECTION AND MANAGEMENT USING RISK/REWARD RATIOS<< 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 65 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.