StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Need some input from the forum<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #112423
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
3/25/2013 12:43:57 PM

I'm wondering if anyone here uses a service that provides stock BUY and SELL signals. If so, which ones are you using, what do you currently pay for the subscription, and what are your thoughts on how valuable it is?

An example might be Larry Connors' web site, www.tradingmarkets.com, which provides their Power Ratings for $60/month. Are folks here using these types of services?

Thanks,
Kevin

SAFeTRADE
630 posts
msg #112430
Ignore SAFeTRADE
3/25/2013 3:06:20 PM

I am not using any paid service. just trying to get it on my own.

Clarence

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #112434
Ignore mahkoh
3/25/2013 6:41:41 PM

None paid, but one that is free: www.buysellmodel.com
The system has been modified and improved since its inception in 2010, and although it is flat so far for this year there were excellent results in 2011 and 2012.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #112436
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
3/25/2013 7:40:51 PM

My interest stems from having spent several years developing systems that seem to match or beat most of what I see out there - paid services with no real description of how the systems work, no decent back-test data, and usually a lot of misrepresentation on the true performance of their systems.

I have finalized development on a new system and think that there may be interest at a reasonable price point - like $19.95/month or so. Much less than what others are charging, but with greater transparency and a clear strategy with mechanical precision. I think that folks here are reasonably well informed and can help me determine if this might be a viable approach to monetize it.

I have always freely shared all of my work (here and elsewhere) and felt good in doing so. However, this one is so well suited for individual investors that I am seriously considering a modest fee for nightly emails providing clear BUY and SELL signals - no guesswork.

NOTE - this is not meant to be an advert for a paid service ... I am seeking only input here, not customers.

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #112437
Ignore Cheese
modified
3/25/2013 7:53:06 PM

I am not using any paid service.Buy/Sell signals. I checked a couple of services charging $25 - $30 a month,
but decided not to subscribe because they are not that good.

Best wishes in your endeavor.

gmg733
788 posts
msg #112441
Ignore gmg733
3/25/2013 8:57:24 PM

I do not subscribe for the reasons you mention. I think what you'll find is to actually give advice in this manner will require either certifications or representation as an 'educator'. This is how a lot of services get away without being registered with appropriate regulatory body.

I have toyed with becoming a hedge fund and offering services as such. Looking into it, it takes money to start an official business, a lot of it. If you have the time and passion, do it. But I think it will be a full time thing.

In the interim I found it more advantageous to trade independently. I really want to help people become financially independent, thus why I toyed with becoming a hedge fund for the small guy. But to make money in that market it would take thousands of small accounts to make it plausible. Something from a market perspective would be very difficult and long process.

You have my full support. If you need anything just ask. I read business plans all the time. If you need someone to review it, I'd be more than happy to help.

I think ultimately you need to define your charter, identify your market and determine if this is what you want or if it is plausible.

mktmole
325 posts
msg #112442
Ignore mktmole
3/25/2013 9:45:45 PM

How about a chat room?

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #112443
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
3/25/2013 9:53:58 PM

Thanks for the input. I have no intention of quitting my day job, or turning this into a full-time business. The plan is simply to provide specific stock picks each night, based on a rigorously vetted trading strategy that I am using myself, that are purchased/sold at the open the next day. I do not want to manage other people's money - that would require more training and certification than I am willing to commit to for this effort.

In this case the system provides a very satisfactory return of ~20% per year, with a very high Sharpe ratio and minimal drawdowns. I'm learning that to expect any more than that is unreasonable and likely an admission of ignorance in how the markets behave.

gmg733
788 posts
msg #112445
Ignore gmg733
3/25/2013 10:41:21 PM

I would agree with you. Many of the conclusions I came to as well. I think you can make more than 20% a year, but it takesa little leverage and a high degree of accuracy.

While you have freely shared a lot of your work, I would include that as well. For investing I find the TAA filters and strategy to be money. Obviously not trading per se, but for those with longer term price horizons.

I'm toying with some statistic filters (thanks to TRO). The goal is to be long and short at the same time and make money in both directions.

glgene
613 posts
msg #112446
Ignore glgene
3/25/2013 10:43:44 PM

Kevin,
I look forward to hearing more about your proposal.

Your SF scripting credentials are noteworthy!

Gene

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Need some input from the forum<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.