StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · QUESTION FOR STOCKFETCHER<< >>Post Follow-up
push5280
197 posts
msg #121087
Ignore push5280
7/24/2014 7:20:14 PM

I am trying to draw the 3 day slope of the OBV 10 day ema

the syntax I am using is draw the 3 day slope of cema(obv,10)
it draws the OBV, a line labeled ema 0bv(10), and another labeled ema(10)
the line labeled ema(10) draws above the line ema OBV(10) and the slope is drawn on the ema(10) line

of what is the ema(10) line the ema of? OBV or ema OBV(10)?

thanks in advance

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #121090
7/24/2014 9:56:07 PM

As we are sure you are aware ,the OBV is a recursive calculation where the actual starting point used to seed the measure can drastically effect the actual value of the OBV. Because of this, when computing additional measures/patterns based on the OBV, the starting point may vary. This will result in values that are different; however, the direction and angle of the follow-on measures will match the OBV.

Thank you,
StockFetcher Support

push5280
197 posts
msg #121091
Ignore push5280
7/24/2014 11:17:41 PM

I don't feel like my question was answered. The question had nothing to do with whether the calculation is recursive, see below and please answer the question I asked. Is there a difference between the syntax OBV(10) and CEMA(obv,10) and if so what is it as the labels that are on the chart say the same thing to me as they both infer that the plotted value is the 10 day ema of OBV. if that is not the case then please explain in plain english minus the condescending attitude. If you are not understanding the question I will happily provide a screenshot.

Thanks again

I am trying to draw the 3 day slope of the OBV 10 day ema

the syntax I am using is draw the 3 day slope of cema(obv,10)
it draws the OBV, a line labeled ema 0bv(10), and another labeled ema(10)
the line labeled ema(10) draws above the line ema OBV(10) and the slope is drawn on the ema(10) line

of what is the ema(10) line the ema of? OBV or ema OBV(10)?

thanks in advance

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #121094
7/25/2014 8:47:35 AM

A screenshot would certainly help to illustrate the problem you are experiencing. We were not attempting to be condescending in any way, as we were attempting to answer your question based on the supplied filter snippet: draw the 3 day slope of cema(obv,10) and your description. Without an actual screenshot, or sample symbol, we inferred the problem may have been similar to some support issues we have seen in the past.

For example, again based on your filter segment, we see the following plot:

In this plot, there are 4 lines labeled as follows:

OBV - Source measure
OBV EMA(10) - The "Average OBV", an n-day EMA of the OBV that is described in the OBV help topic
EMA(10) - Your custom EMA of the OBV
3-day Slope of the EMA(10) - The slope as specified in your filter segment.

Now, our assumption was these measures were as expected. However, a problem we are aware of with this measure and some symbols with limited pricing history, it is possible the two EMA's will not be in sync:

The above is the issue we assumed was the source of your question.

StockFetcher Support

push5280
197 posts
msg #121096
Ignore push5280
7/25/2014 11:04:53 AM

I don't know how to post a screenshot as the typical wuindows method of "print screen" --> paste does not work within this message screen. I will post the filter and breakdown my question so that it is clearer and hopefully more easily understood. My original screen was :
set{wrval, INDPOSITION(williams %r(10), 60) * 100 }
set{indicator, ma(3) - ma(10)}
set{bb1, upper bollinger band(20,2) - lower bollinger band(20,2)}
set{bb%, bb1 / close}
close > 1
average volume(90) > 500,000
do not draw average volume(90)
draw the 3 day slope of obv(10)
draw ma(22)
draw ma(130)
draw ma(200)
draw bb% 6 month low
draw indicator line at 0
draw close 20 day high
draw close 10 day low
draw wrval on plot rsi(2)

However when this plotted, the slope was plotted on the OBV line not the OBV(10) line. After reading the help / support article on OBV I changed the command line "draw the 3 day slope of obv(10)" to "draw the 3 day slope of cema(obv,10)". This only led to more confusion and questions as listed below. The new filter looks like this:
set{wrval, INDPOSITION(williams %r(10), 60) * 100 }
set{indicator, ma(3) - ma(10)}
set{bb1, upper bollinger band(20,2) - lower bollinger band(20,2)}
set{bb%, bb1 / close}
close > 1
average volume(90) > 500,000
do not draw average volume(90)
draw the 3 day slope of cema(obv,10)
draw ma(22)
draw ma(130)
draw ma(200)
draw bb% 6 month low
draw indicator line at 0
draw close 20 day high
draw close 10 day low
draw wrval on plot rsi(2)
The results created more Questions....
1.) Are OBV(10) and cema(obv,10) the same? If they are different then please explain for my understanding. My interpretation of the help / support statement regarding OBV is that OBV is cummulative and when a time period is added "obv(10) it creates an EMA of obv. My thinking is that OBV(10) and cema(obv,10) are the same as EMA(10) and cema(close,10) just different syntax saying the same thing. is that correct? Or is what you are trying to say is that cema(obv,10) returns a 10 period ema of the 10 period ema?
2.) If my assumptions in #1 regarding different syntax to say the same thing are correct why do two different lines plot?
3.) Running the 2nd filter above on the chart for AVEO only the OBV and the ema(10) lines plot and on the chart for GPL the OBV line, ema(10) line and OBV ema(10) line plot. Why?

Just trying to make sense of it all

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #121097
7/25/2014 11:15:26 AM

As always, please feel free to send any screenshots or additional details to support@stockfetcher.com.

Thank you!
StockFetcher Support

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · QUESTION FOR STOCKFETCHER<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.