StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Question: Intraday RSI2 daily calculation<< >>Post Follow-up
DayByDay
5 posts
msg #126907
Ignore DayByDay
1/25/2016 5:17:29 PM

Hi,

How to calculate intraday RSI(2) like StockFetcher does it?

When a historical daily data is available it is clear.
Average Gain = [(previous Average Gain)*(2-1)+ current Gain] / 2.
Average Loss = [(previous Average Loss)*(2-1) + current Loss] / 2.
RS(2) = Average Gain/ Average Loss
RSI(2) = 100 – 100(1+ RS(2))
Here the divider 2 represent the 2 day period while as “previous” averages gains and losses are determined using the same formula.

However, when the price changes during the day I am not sure how to calculate averages. What does become the “previous” value? Are these the values of the previous day? For one thing, they are static values. Secondly, how do we obtain these values?

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

four
5,087 posts
msg #126911
Ignore four
modified
1/25/2016 11:20:34 PM

Delay times are at least
15 mins for NASDAQ
20 mins for NYSE and Amex

StockFetcher quote, "We currently do not have plans to provide screens based on intraday intervals (minutes, hours.)."

marine2
963 posts
msg #126912
Ignore marine2
1/25/2016 11:48:30 PM

Question is, does StockFetcher have the capabilities to provide that service? If so, what is the hold back? Is it too costly in providing that service or is it the big investment houses requesting SF in not providing that service. I call that blocking. Myself, I don't play the day trading game but I am sure many do.

DayByDay
5 posts
msg #126913
Ignore DayByDay
1/26/2016 12:34:52 AM

Hi There,

I am not requesting StockFetcher to provide an instant information. This is not the issue. All I want is to have the right formula to calculate the intraday data. I am familiar with the general formula, but in the case of intraday calculations, it isn't clear how to calculate the average gain and loss, simply because it is not clear what were the previous average gain and loss. StockFetcher does it, though. You can see that the intraday RSI is changing every time the price changes. How does it compute it?

Thank you

four
5,087 posts
msg #126914
Ignore four
modified
1/26/2016 12:38:31 AM

Who do I contact if I have a question?

If you can't find your answer in our help system, feel free to send email to support@stockfetcher.com if you have a question. We try to answer your questions within 24 hours Monday-Friday.

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #126926
1/26/2016 9:45:21 AM

Hi,

Hopefully we can answer your question. Because StockFetcher treats intraday price updates as the "current day" we simply replace the most recent quote for the current day and use the prior market date as "n-1". There is no aggregating of prior intraday values when calculating this measure.

Hope that helps!
StockFetcher Support

DayByDay
5 posts
msg #126936
Ignore DayByDay
1/26/2016 11:55:20 AM

Was able to match your data. Thank you!

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Question: Intraday RSI2 daily calculation<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.