StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What Happened to Free Markets?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
karennma
8,057 posts
msg #54473
Ignore karennma
9/1/2007 6:56:02 AM

TradingMarkets.com
What Has Happened to Free Markets?
Friday August 31, 3:00 pm ET
By TradingMarkets Research

I must...I must ask the question...a very important question. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO OUR FREE MARKETS? Where have they gone? I do not believe I am the only one asking this question. Let's see.
Our Treasury Secretary, no less than 10 times in the past few months, has opened his yapper to tell us housing was stabalizing and or bottoming. Why hasn't anyone asked him to appear on the hill to answer where his information was coming from? This has been an obvious attempt to interfere in the markets. Why do they have to interfere with the markets?

Our Fedhead...no all the Fedheads have been out no less than several hundred times over the past year to tell us everything WAS A-OK. Don't worry about this, that or the other thing. Why can't they keep their mouths shut? Why do they have to interfere with the markets?

Why did Bernanke lower the discount rate the day of options expiration instead of a day that did not mean as much? Why is he interfering with the markets? And in a laugher, Bernanke was quoted just this morning as saying" It is not the Fed's responsibility to protect lenders and investors from consequences of their decisions!" Who is he trying to kid? Dropping $250 billion on a problem is exactly that. Let me rephrase that...that's one quarter TRILLION.

Why did George Bush decide to make an announcement that he was bailing out...ooops, excuse me, helping out subprime borrowers the morning of a light volume, pre-holiday trading day? In fact, why is George Bush trying to bail out anyone? Why is George Bush trying to interfere with the markets? This is not his job.

Whatever happened to RISK IS RISK? You take stupid risks, you pay the piper. Whatever happened to that? Why is someone who bought a house at the top of the market bailed out? Why does someone with no money who took a mortgage they couldn't afford bailed out? These are not innocent people. These were greedy people who became greedy at the most inopportune time. These people thought they could buy a home with no money down...and with no net worth...and sell that home 3 weeks later and make a ton of money...yet they get bailed out? Why are the hedge fund managers who went 15-1 margin bailed out? Why are lenders who lent money to people without asking for income statements...without asking for net worth statements...without asking for anything...bailed out? Why are private equity idiots who are sitting with over $300 billion in unfunded buyouts?

I know free markets. Free markets are a friend of mine. These are no free markets. Our markets are now being constantly interfered with in order to save the so-called "masters of the universe" and I have to tell you, it is downright depressing. If markets want to go to the moon, I am all for it. If markets wanted to go into a bear market, I am all for that. I just want free markets.

Investors who bought the top of the market in the year 2000 lost a lot of money. Were they bailed out for their stupidity? Nope! If they felt they were wronged, they sued...some won their cases...some lost. That's the system. I did not see anyone lifting a hand to Aunt Mary and Uncle Bob who lost money because they bought a ton of Lucent at the highs.

Do not bail out the morons who bought at the top of the cycle. If they feel they were wronged, let them sue the lender in court. I am not a cold-hearted person. I just believe what we are seeing is laughable and needs to end. I am urging all free market proponents to speak up about this nonsense.

The market is all over the map this morning but since it is end of quarter for the BROKERS...I do not expect a reversal...but making bets in the nonsense we have been seeing is not conducive to fiscal health. I will have a market wrap-up on Tuesday. And if you want to know why all the spastic action, look no further to all the open mouths. Fed minutes send markets lower Tuesday...a Fed letter send markets up Wednesday. Everyone needs to shut up. Have a great holiday weekend!

Gary Kaltbaum

dangreene
229 posts
msg #54474
Ignore dangreene
9/1/2007 7:58:39 AM

This is what one candidate said during the 2000 campaign.

"I don't believe the role of government's to create wealth, but an environment in which people are willing to risk capital. I also believe government ought to trust individuals. And so when you hear my discussions today about what I intend to do for America, I want you to hear inherent my philosophy -- my polices is this philosophy -- that I trust people. I trust people to make the right decisions for their families. I trust people to make the right decisions when it comes to health care. I trust people when it comes -- to make the right decisions with their own money. And I trust people to make the right decisions when it comes to managing retirement accounts."

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #54475
Ignore karennma
9/1/2007 8:19:08 AM

dangreene
dangreene 9/1/2007 4:58:39 AM
This is what one candidate said during the 2000 campaign.
"I don't believe the role of government's to create wealth, but an environment in which people are willing to risk capital. I also believe government ought to trust individuals. And so when you hear my discussions today about what I intend to do for America, I want you to hear inherent my philosophy -- my polices is this philosophy -- that I trust people. I trust people to make the right decisions for their families. I trust people to make the right decisions when it comes to health care. I trust people when it comes -- to make the right decisions with their own money. And I trust people to make the right decisions when it comes to managing retirement accounts."
=============================================================

That sounds like the very UNTRUSTWORTHY idiot we have in office now, who is the most disingenuous creep ever elected to public office. He's done nothing for America or the American people. And, based on the current mortgage debacle, obviously, many people are NOT capable of making the "right" decisions for their families due to the inscrupulous business practices of mortgage bankers. If "he trusts" people so much, then how come he came out with an FHA bailout yesterday? ... which BTW will help none of the people with bad credit who got entangled in these subprime loans.
The aforementioned article IS NOT about health care, or social security or retirement accounts.
It's about MARKET MANIPULATION.
You know just as well as I do, this market was due for a HUGE correction, which wasn't allowed to happen because of interference by the Fed and the Central banks.
That is NOT a "Free Market".
The whole thing absolutely DISGUSTS me to no end.
When the history books are written, this time period should be called, "The Age of Delusion".

dangreene
229 posts
msg #54476
Ignore dangreene
9/1/2007 8:55:05 AM

Of course it's about market manipulation.

And bailing out the well to do. (see hedge funds)

And government interference.

And flip flopping.

heypa
283 posts
msg #54488
Ignore heypa
9/1/2007 4:32:57 PM

The only reason "they" let us buy and sell stocks is they need someone to rip off.
Without us there wouldn't be enough money in the game to make it worthwhile.

conyeuchua
83 posts
msg #54489
Ignore conyeuchua
modified
9/2/2007 12:56:47 AM

A couple of financial blogs mentioned the "Plunge Protection Team" or PPT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Group_on_Financial_Markets

We may not agree with its role of modern-day Moses, but we need to recognize its impacts.

http://www.thedisciplinedinvestor.com/blog/2007/08/31/a-miracle-bush-parting-the-bankrupt-sea/

Disclaimer: For entertainment only. Bush and Bernanke may think of themselves as saviors. But I have no intention of blasphemy. Phew!

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #54491
Ignore maxreturn
9/2/2007 8:45:27 AM

conyeuchua....Precisely!

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #54498
Ignore karennma
9/2/2007 11:08:28 AM

Lord have mercy!
Are we now comparing politicians and MANIPULATORS of the financial markets to saints and saviors?
ROFLMAO!!!
Let's "sea" now ... bush is Moses, and Bernanke is ... Jesus ?
No, that's not right ...
I KNOW bush thinks he's GEEZUS, so, that must make Bernanke Moses.
Should I email the Vatican and advise the Pope?

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #54499
Ignore karennma
9/2/2007 11:22:12 AM

"The free market punishes irresponsibility. Government rewards it."

-- Harry Browne

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #54500
Ignore karennma
9/2/2007 11:22:44 AM

The government is good at one thing. It knows how to break your
legs, and then hand you a crutch and say, "See if it weren't for the
government, you wouldn't be able to walk"

-- Harry Browne

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What Happened to Free Markets?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.