StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · filter to tinker with ...<< >>Post Follow-up
rsarno
103 posts
msg #35319
Ignore rsarno
3/11/2005 12:31:33 AM

offset is 1
show stocks where price is above .20
and RSI(2) is below 1
and close is between EMA(13) and SMA(20)

i went back as far as 40 days in SF and there wasnt a single day when it was not overall green.

tons of results, can it be narrowed down or tweaked?

lets play with it!

rsarno
103 posts
msg #35320
Ignore rsarno
3/11/2005 12:33:57 AM

offset is 1
show stocks where price is between .20 and 3
and RSI(2) is below 1
and close is between EMA(13) and SMA(20)

same green results, less picks and bigger gains ... getting somewhere maybe?

denlow
4 posts
msg #35322
Ignore denlow
3/11/2005 10:57:04 AM

I received an error on:

close is between EMA(13) and SMA(20)

Not sure if SF cannot place a close between the two or not.
Also tried:

close is above EMA(13) and close is below SMA(20)

which returned no results. Any ideas?

rsarno
103 posts
msg #35326
Ignore rsarno
3/11/2005 7:42:04 PM

"I received an error on:

close is between EMA(13) and SMA(20)

Not sure if SF cannot place a close between the two or not.
Also tried:

close is above EMA(13) and close is below SMA(20)

which returned no results. Any ideas?
"

Well, either one of them can be above the other at any point so "above" or "below" wouldnt work right ...

how about finding stocks approaching either one of the 2? is it possible to code that?

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #35327
3/12/2005 6:41:05 AM

Hi,

You'll want to use MA instead of SMA. The following should work:

Fetcher[close is above EMA(13) and close is below MA(20)]

If you don't care which is above the close, you might try:

Fetcher[
set{maxma, max(EMA(13), MA(20))}
set{minma, min(EMA(13), MA(20))}
close is above minma
and close is below maxma
and draw EMA(13)
and draw MA(20)
]

Your entire filter would be:

Fetcher[
set{maxma, max(EMA(13), MA(20))}
set{minma, min(EMA(13), MA(20))}
close is above minma
and close is below maxma
and RSI(2) is below 1
and close is between 0.2 and 3
and draw EMA(13)
and draw MA(20)
]

Note: The RSI(2) phrase reduces the results to zero so you won't see results with the above filter too often.

Steve
StockFetcher Support

rsarno
103 posts
msg #35332
Ignore rsarno
3/12/2005 12:56:57 PM

some very tempting results using these conditions, anyone experienced with RSI(2) and know what other indicators compliment this setup?

here is the main filter, then a few modifications i tinkered with ...

offset is 1
and RSI(2) is below 1
and avgvol(3) is above 150000

------------------

offset is 1
and RSI(2) is below 1
and volume has been increasing for 2 days

------------------

offset is 1
and RSI(2) is below 1
and price touched lower bollinger band(20)

rsarno
103 posts
msg #35333
Ignore rsarno
3/12/2005 12:57:48 PM

Steve thanks for the help, i guess the original filter i was working with didnt even use that EMA/SMA line so i still like the results when dropping the entire line ...

ImperialWhazoo
26 posts
msg #35348
Ignore ImperialWhazoo
3/14/2005 2:00:24 PM

I took the work you guys had done and fiddled around with it a bit to come up with the following:

Fetcher [
set{MAB, max(MA(7), MA(12))}
set{MAC, max(MA(7), MA(40))}
set{maxMABMAC, max(MAB, MAC)}
set{minMABMAC, min(MAB, MAC)}
Show stocks where market is not OTCBB
and close is above minMABMAC
and close is below maxMABMAC
and Slow Stochastic(14) Fast %K is between 25 and 60
and Slow Stochastic(14) Fast %K has been increasing for 2 days
and +DI(7) 1 day ago was below +DI(7) today
and LRS(3) is above LRS(3) 1 day ago
and LRS(7) is above LRS(7) 1 day ago
and Volume is above 150000
and price is between 1.49 and 30.01
and draw LRS(12)
and add column Slow Stochastic(14) Fast %K
and do not draw maxMABMAC
and do not draw minMABMAC
and sort column 5 ascending
]

Basically here's the thought behind what I tweeked it to become:
1. I used 7, 12, 1nd 40 day MAs because that's what I do everyday anyway. I use 40 in preference to 50, 12 in preference to 13 or 15, and 7 as the between of 5 and 10. I've used them for a while.
2. I tried it several ways and decided the best results were with closes between the higher of the three MAs and the next highest MA.
3. I exclude OTCBB
4. I use the LRS(3), (7), & (12) and the +DI(7) and the Slow Stochastic(14) Fast %K. My idea is that all but the LRS(12) have turned up in the last 2 days. The fact is that the LRS(12) will also have recently turned up or, if it has yet to do so, it will do so really soon.

In my settings, I display the MA(7), MA(12), MA(40), and Bollinger (20) for all my charts.

Anyway, I was pleased by the results for swing trading (I spot checked a bunch of backtest periods.... 18 days back, 60 days back, 10 days back and so on)

Generally, it looked to me that the best buys were with the stochastic above 35. Below that, you seemed to get more false positives. Anyway, the way I think this screen could be used would be to buy on open on the day after the signal is given. If it gains 1.5% that day, then day trade it. If it goes down day 1.... well, perhaps somebody could advise what to do in instances where it closes down day 1. It seems that in most cases it is profitable in a period of 2 to 15 days. I think that you could trade it by setting a five day hold period during which you sell if it breaks a mechanical percentage stop or sell if it reaches some mechanical event like a certain upside percentage or mayby touching the upper Bollinger line. At the end of 5 days you could automatically sell. Maybe 10 days... I haven't had time to plan it out completely yet. For example, during the 5 day period, suppose you always bought 200 shares on open day 1. If it went up 1.5% day 1, sell. If it closed down, buy ner close another 100 shares. Then for the hold period, set a mechanical percentage gain to sell at (remembering that buying additional shares each down day dollar cost averages the overall cost down). So, each down day that it is still held (the fixed percentage gain not having been attained), you buy another 100 shares. Each up day that does not attain the fixed target gain, hold. My thumbnail figuring based on the limited backtesting I've done on this screen is that something akin to this plan would generally generate at least a break even in most instances. Anyway, until fully tested, this is only my first "off the top of my head" plan. A better one will probably materialize after thoruogh testing.

I haven't figured out exactly how to trade it yet but it looks like a pretty good setup.

Perhaps others could generate feedback regarding trading this setup.

Hope this is helpful
Imperial Whazoo

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · filter to tinker with ...<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.