StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · BOLLINGER BAND TRADING STRATEGY<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 39 >>Post Follow-up
branrx
13 posts
msg #78927
Ignore branrx
9/10/2009 1:20:55 AM

This is awesome man. Thanks for the work you put into this!

decipherlinda
133 posts
msg #78931
Ignore decipherlinda
9/10/2009 2:30:22 AM

Another way to use Bollinger Bands: I subscribe to Dan Fitzpatrick's StockMarketMentor and he's a huge fan to using Bollinger Band squeeze plays which is a common strategy. Most if not all of you are probably aware of it. When the bands come together tightly, the stock is probably consolidating. Sooner or later the stock will break down or up although there's an upward bias generally. I've noticed there's a tendency for RSI(2) to take a move up like the right side of a "v" pattern a day or two before a big move starts to move up. The longer the stock consolidates (like in the handle of a "cup" pattern), the stronger the move. SF's home page has a pre-programmed Bollinger Band filter for finding tight BB's.

richo
74 posts
msg #78935
Ignore richo
9/10/2009 7:01:42 AM

Kevin,

I noticed you didn't buy CACC the same day it showed up on the filter along with CA and AMED

Rich

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #78938
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
9/10/2009 7:42:27 AM

During that time I was also looking for a confirmation (close above close 1 day ago) to the BUY filter. I had several slight modifications going, so i did not catch every one that would have been caught by the filter I am using now.

The goal had been to avoid stocks that were is a losing spiral - it ends up that most of the stocks had up days following the close below the lower BB, and so by waiting for confirmation, I was missing out on some potential profits.

Looking at CACC, you could still buy it now - it closed yesterday at 28.34, and if you followed the filter as it is now, you would have bought it at 28.26 (not a huge difference).

----------------------------------------------------------------
NEW SIG LINE

Follow my stock trades here

Bollinger Band Trading

DLB7
43 posts
msg #78940
Ignore DLB7
modified
9/10/2009 7:59:42 AM

Kevin_in_GA,
Very interesting thread, thank you.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #78946
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/10/2009 10:07:55 AM

Here is a link to preset screens for Bollinger band Squeezes:

Bollinger Band Squeezes

branrx
13 posts
msg #78972
Ignore branrx
9/10/2009 4:42:02 PM

ok nothing showing up yet. just want to make sure I have this set up right. I have the watchlists, everyone showing nothing today, just want to confirm?

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #78973
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/10/2009 4:46:43 PM

Confirmed. No IBD stocks closed below the lower BB today. I usually wait until 9 PM when the final numbers are in, but it looks like no stocks to buy or sell today.

branrx
13 posts
msg #78975
Ignore branrx
9/10/2009 4:51:18 PM

markets on a roll, wonder if we may have to wait a bit.. Maybe another watchlist with inverse ETS, that fall below the bolls could fill in on a pullback period. Just a thought, definately not an IBD strategy though.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #78977
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/10/2009 6:04:13 PM

I no longer feel the need to trade every day. That type of behavior is not necessarily the best course of action.

I also want to get a few more of these into the portfolio, but am willing to wait until the filter picks them up.

You can run the scan without the "apply to watchlist" line if you want - only 7 hits today. Of them, only MON would be a candidate for me.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · BOLLINGER BAND TRADING STRATEGY<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 39 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.