StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Basic ideas for trend-trading filter...<< >>Post Follow-up
rmenghani
10 posts
msg #44937
Ignore rmenghani
6/14/2006 3:55:51 AM

Hey guys,

I've been a lurker for a longtime, but still a newbie to coding.

I have some ideas and was wondering if someone could put together a filter.

I think it's ideal to trade a stock:

1) With the trend (use a moving average crossover, MACD, or some other indicator) of both the stock and the market (the Nasdaq or S&P). For example, if you're going to trade long on a Nasdaq-listed stock, make sure both the QQQQ and the stock itself are in an "uptrend." Vice-versa for downtrend.

2) Trade a stock that has a high ATR -- you want a stock that is moving. (this should be easy enough). You don't want something like GE which barely moves.

3) Trade a stock that has a very high likelihood of "trendiness." For example - take a look at HANS. When HANS had its runs, it would go up almost every single day. Or TASR. I got in on both of these towards the end of their runs but still made a decent amount because they would just keep running.
(Maybe the ADX indicator for this last approach)? How can we determine a stock that can go on streaks. I want a "streaky" stock.

Is there any way to combine all these 3 ideas into one filter? Also, in terms of entry, I've noticed that in a big-winner, it's best to enter in on pullbacks, such as the 20 day EMA. However, there then needs to be a stop loss limit, perhaps the 30 day EMA (just throwing out this number).

Thanks in advance.

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #44941
Ignore maxreturn
6/14/2006 8:10:14 AM

Hello Menghani. It would be well worth your while to learn how to write your own filters. It's really not that difficult. If a non-programmer like me can learn, anyone can. Take some time to go through the manual and go to Yepher's website...http://yepher.com/stockfetcher/command.html

Take a run at writing your own filter and I'm sure many of us would be willing to jump in and help you fine tune it.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #44948
Ignore nikoschopen
6/14/2006 12:20:40 PM

rmenghani,

1) You might want to start by defining for us what ure definition of an "uptrend" is. Is it, say, a moving average crossover? Or is it simply a stock trading above particular moving averages, like MA(50) or MA(20)? Or does it make any difference as long as prices are above prices x-days ago?

2) With regards to ATR, it's quite natural for a rallying stock to experience a high ATR. But by how much? Can you clue us in on what you have in mind?

3) It's very easy to state "Trade a stock that has a very high likelihood of 'trendiness'" AFTER the fact, but it ain't so while the events unfold. When things don't pan out as you expect you might rather experience a rude-awakening.

rmenghani
10 posts
msg #44962
Ignore rmenghani
modified
6/14/2006 6:01:27 PM

Okay, I tried to write something. Copy and paste the following:

1 year slope of close above 0
price between 15 and 400
atr(90) above 3 percent
volume > 500000
volume (90) > 500000
do not draw 1 year slope of close
do not draw atr(90)
ADX(14,14) is above 30

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #44976
Ignore nikoschopen
6/14/2006 11:08:02 PM

1) The trend of both the stock and the market in an "uptrend" (i.e. MA(20) above MA(50) which, in turn, is above MA(200))

set{if, count(ind(QQQQ,MA(20)) above ind(QQQQ,MA(50)),1) * count(ind(QQQQ,MA(50)) above ind(QQQQ,MA(200)),1)}
set{then1, if * count(MA(20) above MA(50),1)}
set{then2, then1 * count(MA(50) above MA(200),1)}
then2 is above 0

2) Trade a stock that has a high ATR

atr(90) above 3 percent

3) Trade a stock that has a very high likelihood of "trendiness."

5 day slope of Average CMO(20) is above 0

Fetcher[
set{if, count(ind(QQQQ,MA(20)) above ind(QQQQ,MA(50)),1) * count(ind(QQQQ,MA(50)) above ind(QQQQ,MA(200)),1)}
set{then1, if * count(MA(20) above MA(50),1)}
set{then2, then1 * count(MA(50) above MA(200),1)}
then2 is above 0

atr(90) above 3 percent

5 day slope of Average CMO(20) is above 0

volume > 500000
volume (90) > 500000
do not draw 1 year slope of close
do not draw atr(90)
]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Basic ideas for trend-trading filter...<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.