StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Calculating RSI(2)<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
BFreshour
139 posts
msg #38919
Ignore BFreshour
11/16/2005 3:14:12 PM

Since SF doesn't provide real time data and the stockcharts.com scan leaves A LOT to be desired, I was wondering if anyone could help me calculate RSI(2) on the fly. I know the formula but it doesn't seem to work correctly. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Does anyone have any experience in building a spreadsheet that could calculate RSI(2) on the fly by entering the current price (based on historicaly close prices)?

I know that sounds confusing and probably is more trouble than it's worth. SF would be a life saver with real time data... UGH!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #38923
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/16/2005 3:28:58 PM

TradeStation does it.

And with their new reduced rates, you get the platform FREE if you trade enough.

In fact, just open a FOREX account and do 10 round trips a month and the platform is free... only takes $5,000 to OPEN the account and $1,000 or so to maintain it... meaning open the account, and then pull most of your money out.

HTH

BFreshour
139 posts
msg #38924
Ignore BFreshour
11/16/2005 3:30:40 PM

What about calculating the EMA of RSI(2) on the fly?

In particular, I'm interesting in the EMA(3) of RSI(2) vs the EMA(13) of RSI(2).

Weird combo, I know. I'm crazy.

jclaffee
81 posts
msg #38926
Ignore jclaffee
11/16/2005 4:15:31 PM

BFreshour. . .

First, let me say that I owe my interest in the use of RSI(2) as an oscillator to the advocacy of TheRumpledOne!

Second, it is very important to my trading and I use eSignal's MarketCenter Live at about $29 per month solely to have it in real time (in a spread of intervals) through the day.

I've tried with limited success to calculate it in Excel for myself and have decided that this way suits me best.

Jim

BFreshour
139 posts
msg #38928
Ignore BFreshour
11/16/2005 5:07:58 PM

I would gladly pay $29 a month. I currently have the following:

StockWatch.com Streaming Quotes (for QuoteTracker) $20 a month
StockCharts.com Advanced Charting with Real Time $30 a month
StockFetcher Advanced $17 a month

If I could get rid of all three of those for eSignal.

My next question is about the computation of that EMA of the RSI(2).

BFreshour
139 posts
msg #38929
Ignore BFreshour
11/16/2005 5:27:31 PM

My thoughts haven't really been concise. This is what I'm looking for:

Real-time ability to search daily charts for an EMA(RSI(2),3) cross-over of EMA(RSI(2),13).

Don't ask why the strangeness of the indicator, I'm a little odd-duck myself.

BFreshour
139 posts
msg #38930
Ignore BFreshour
11/16/2005 6:58:20 PM

Apparently I don't understand EMA's or there's a bug with SF. Check out this...

Fetcher[
stock is optionable
average volume(100) above 250000
close above 2

set{vx, volume / average volume(100)}
set{%vol, vx * 100}
add column %vol

set{r,cema(RSI(2),3)}
set{s,cema(RSI(2),13)}
and draw r
and draw s on plot r
]

Pull up any stock on that list and look at the crossover of r on s on the graph. Nearly everytime it crosses it predicts a move of value. Are the EMA's taking into account the next days RSI value? I'm confused.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #38931
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/16/2005 7:50:34 PM

You have yourself a very fine filter!

Fetcher[
stock is optionable
average volume(100) above 250000
close above 2

set{vx, volume / average volume(100)}
set{%vol, vx * 100}
add column %vol

set{r,cema(RSI(2),3)}
set{s,cema(RSI(2),13)}
and draw r
and draw s on plot r

/* modifications below this line */

r 1 day ago crossed above s 1 day ago
volume above 1000000

set{hiop, high - open}
add column hiop

sort column 3 ascending
]

I ran the above as a test.

To use it for real use this line:

r crossed above s

instead of the 1 day ago version.

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

dkatz
64 posts
msg #38933
Ignore dkatz
11/16/2005 8:50:52 PM

Avery -- trying to run the filter with "r crossed above s", getting 0 hits. Would also like to add RSI(2) less than 5 1 day ago as that really pinpoints the entry ... what am I doing wrong here? It's clearly an awesome filter though. Congratulations BFreshour -- this one is a keeper!

JohnyYuma
60 posts
msg #38935
Ignore JohnyYuma
11/16/2005 9:10:20 PM

Folks
my programming knowledge is pretty rudimentary
but
try using specific names for the variables instead of generic alphabet letters - and it might work
e.g. rsi2 instead of r............ etc.

Hope this helps

Thanks

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Calculating RSI(2)<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.