StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · FADING THE GAP STATISTICS FILTER<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 40 >>Post Follow-up
TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #45054
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
6/17/2006 12:00:18 PM

Fetcher[
/* gap fill statistics */

set{Xgapped, open - close 1 day ago}
set{Xgapup, count(Xgapped > 0, 1)}
set{Xgapdn, count(Xgapped < 0, 1)}

set{absgap, abs(Xgapped)}

set{gappedup100, count(Xgapup > 0, 100)}
set{gappeddn100, count(Xgapdn > 0, 100)}

set{cl1lo, close 1 day ago - low}
set{hicl1, high - close 1 day ago }

set{fillup, count(cl1lo > 0, 1)}
set{filldn, count(hicl1 > 0, 1)}

set{gapupfilled, Xgapup * fillup }
set{gapdnfilled, Xgapdn * filldn }

set{gapup100f, count(gapupfilled > 0, 100)}
set{gapdn100f, count(gapdnfilled > 0, 100)}

set{gapfilled, gapup100f + gapdn100f}

/* DRAW PLOTS */

DRAW XGAPPED ON PLOT XGAPPED

/* DISPLAY COLUMNS */

and add column gappedup100
and add column gappeddn100
and add column gapfilled
and add column gapup100f
and add column gapdn100f

and add column cma(absgap, 100)
and add column absgap 100 day high
and add column absgap 100 day low

/* SELECTION CRITERIA */

CLOSE ABOVE 40
AVERAGE VOLUME(30) ABOVE 1000000
MARKET IS NASDAQ

/* SORT CRITERIA */

SORT COLUMN 7 DESCENDING
]

column gappedup100 - # OF TIMES GAPPED UP OVER THE LAST 100 DAYS

column gappeddn100 - # OF TIMES GAPPED DOWN OVER THE LAST 100 DAYS

column gapfilled - # OF TIMES FILLED THE GAP

column gapup100f - # OF TIMES FILLED THE GAP UP

column gapdn100f - # OF TIMES FILLED THE GAP DOWN

column cma(absgap, 100) - AVERAGE GAP OVER THE LAST 100 DAYS

column absgap 100 day high - 100 DAY GAP HIGH

column absgap 100 day low - 100 DAY GAP LOW

The odds are in your favor if you "fade the gap". Stocks that fill the gap over 80% of the time are "cows ready for milking".

Just set your profit target slightly less than the gap and it's almost a "lock". Or trade it for even more profit. This is about as simple as it gets.

Remember, this just counts the fills... You can even make money if the gap doesn't fill all the way!

Please note that NO INDICATORS were harmed in the creation of this filter :)

MAY ALL YOUR (GAP) FILLS BE COMPLETE...LOL!!

shelupinin
120 posts
msg #45064
Ignore shelupinin
6/17/2006 8:27:37 PM

Hi, TRO!
Your filter finds stock with high probability of gaps, but what remains unclear for me is what to do next? ok, I have stock XYZ with high probability of gap, but this gap can be up or down, so I have to be on right side. I'm not a good day trader so it's not easy to me :( Should I "wait for green" and go long? or what?
thanx in advance
Alex

mvalley
3 posts
msg #45070
Ignore mvalley
6/17/2006 11:50:11 PM

Thanks a lot TRO for posting that filter. You are a true trading genius.

Question for you:

For AAPL or any other stocks that gap fills around 80% of the time, what do you do when the gap DOESN'T fill?

Do you set a stop or sell at close or something else?

radovan.arendas
41 posts
msg #45074
Ignore radovan.arendas
6/18/2006 1:06:33 AM

TRO, could you please add XgapdnAverage and XgapupAverage to see what is the average gap up and gap down for a stock? In percentages over open if possible?

I'm trying to figure it out but I lack an 'if-then' statement.

Thanks in advance
r.a.

radovan.arendas
41 posts
msg #45075
Ignore radovan.arendas
6/18/2006 1:57:28 AM

Anybod experienced SYNTAX issue with editing TRO's filters?
When I click on the filter posted above I get results.
When I copy-paste the same and save in my filters I get 0 results. I was looking for any synatx issue but didn't find anything.
Should I somewhere configure that text after /* is recognized as comment?

Thanks for help
r.a.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #45082
Ignore TheRumpledOne
6/18/2006 11:31:23 AM

shelupinin

Hi, TRO!
Your filter finds stock with high probability of gaps, but what remains unclear for me is what to do next? ok, I have stock XYZ with high probability of gap, but this gap can be up or down, so I have to be on right side. I'm not a good day trader so it's not easy to me :( Should I "wait for green" and go long? or what?
thanx in advance
Alex
==============================================================================

Let's look at an example:

On Thursday, June 15, 2006 AAPL closed at $59.38

On Friday, June 16, 20006 AAPL opened at $58.96, it gapped DOWN. That means you want to go long at the open. The high for the day was $59.19 two minutes after the open. But if you look at a 1 minute chart, you see AAPL started going down. One minute later it reversed direction.

In this case, since AAPL opened so near the next XX.00 level, you would enter at XX.01 and exit as soon as AAPL paused.

When you trade the same stock over and over and over again, you get to know it's trading rhythm. AAPL trades one way, HANS another, GOOG another. There are similarities and there are differences. The differences are what make the difference between your trading approach's success or failure with that stock.

So if a stocks gaps down, you wait for it to go up BEFORE you enter the trade.
Conversely, if a stocks gaps up, you wait for it to go down BEFORE you enter the trade.

HTH.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #45083
Ignore TheRumpledOne
6/18/2006 11:35:39 AM

mvalley

Thanks a lot TRO for posting that filter. You are a true trading genius.

Question for you:

For AAPL or any other stocks that gap fills around 80% of the time, what do you do when the gap DOESN'T fill?

Do you set a stop or sell at close or something else?

Don't be greedy!

I am usually out of the trade before the gap fills.

Remember, it's a numbers game. 1000 shares times .10 = $100 gross profit.

The idea is not to get it all but to get some.

Trading stocks is like breaking and entering, the more you put in to bag, the longer it takes. The longer you remain inside, the higher the chance you get caught.

Some will argue the idea is to take all you can.

But all it takes is getting caught ONCE to put you away.

HTH.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #45084
Ignore TheRumpledOne
6/18/2006 11:36:40 AM

radovan.arendas

TRO, could you please add XgapdnAverage and XgapupAverage to see what is the average gap up and gap down for a stock? In percentages over open if possible?

I'm trying to figure it out but I lack an 'if-then' statement.

Thanks in advance
r.a.

See my post on BOOLEAN LOGIC and you will see how to code IF THEN in StockFetcher.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #45085
Ignore TheRumpledOne
6/18/2006 11:38:21 AM

radovan.arendas
- Ignore radovan.arendas
- Report offensive post 6/18/2006 1:57:28 AM

Anybod experienced SYNTAX issue with editing TRO's filters?
When I click on the filter posted above I get results.
When I copy-paste the same and save in my filters I get 0 results. I was looking for any synatx issue but didn't find anything.
Should I somewhere configure that text after /* is recognized as comment?

Thanks for help
r.a.

1) Are you sure you copy/pasted the ENTIRE filter?

2) Do you have a global setting that may interfere with the filter's operation?

radovan.arendas
41 posts
msg #45090
Ignore radovan.arendas
6/18/2006 3:56:40 PM

Thanks TRO for navigating me to "A COMPLETE LOGIC SYSTEM - ANOTHER GIFT FROM AVERY" topic. I'll look at it right now.

Regarding the copy-paste issue ... I copy-pasted correctly. What I found is that the saved-copy-pasted filter worked after cca an hour later. Considering the unusuall time (around 1:45am when I was trying it) I came with a theory that either SF runs some scheduled procedures that interfere with filter or the IT people in my work did something like that (although I can't imagine what could interfere with internet connection in that way). Anyhow the filter works correctly now. Thanks for your concerns and navigation

r.a.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · FADING THE GAP STATISTICS FILTER<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 40 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.