StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Filter for short term trades<< >>Post Follow-up
PaulChamp
10 posts
msg #82809
Ignore PaulChamp
11/10/2009 11:17:22 PM

I wrote the following filter to find stocks that have an ATR .50 cents a day for the last 30 days that are moving up to find stocks that I can buy at the close and sell the next day for a 3% gain. I run this filter around 3:00 PM and buy the first 4 stocks with the highest ATR for the last 5 days.

My Trading Plan is as follows:
• Buy on the close
• Do not go Long on stocks in the same sector
• Put a limit order for a 3% profit
• If profit target is not hit by 11:15 AM the following day, put in a stop loss for 4%
If position does not hit the profit or stop loss, then on the following day try to take a protective exit during the following open to free up capital for additional trades.

atr(30) is greater then .50 FOR THE LAST 30 DAYS
price BELOW 10
optionable
average volume(30) is greater then 1000000 FOR THE LAST 30 DAYS
EMA(3) is above EMA(5)
add column atr(30)
add column atr(5)

I have been having pretty good results thus far paper trading. I wanted to know if any one had any comments/suggestions to imrpove the filter and or trade plan?

Thanks,

Paul

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #82815
Ignore chetron
11/11/2009 6:43:07 AM

clickable....

Fetcher[
atr(30) is greater then .50 FOR THE LAST 30 DAYS
price BELOW 10
optionable
average volume(30) is greater then 1000000 FOR THE LAST 30 DAYS
EMA(3) is above EMA(5)
add column atr(30)
add column atr(5)

]

scott111552
173 posts
msg #83086
Ignore scott111552
11/14/2009 11:54:33 PM

I'm intrigued by your trading plan and filter....It's always been something I was interested in, but was unable to articulate it
as well as you...I plan to paper trade it for awhile too, and I'll let you know my results....Please keep us all informed if anything
changes....Good luck, and I hope you make lots of money with this filter.....Thanks for sharing!!

tmanbone
124 posts
msg #83111
Ignore tmanbone
modified
11/15/2009 8:49:36 PM

My Trading Plan is as follows:
• Buy on the close
• Do not go Long on stocks in the same sector
• Put a limit order for a 3% profit
• If profit target is not hit by 11:15 AM the following day, put in a stop loss for 4%
If position does not hit the profit or stop loss, then on the following day try to take a protective exit during the following open to free up capital for additional trades.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

put in a stop loss for 4% from the start.
Thanks for sharing. Thanks Chetron for the clickable

PaulChamp
10 posts
msg #83199
Ignore PaulChamp
11/17/2009 10:42:50 PM

I have found if I put the stop loss before 11:15 AM, I am getting stopped out on many trades. I am doing some analysis on my paper trades to see how much more I would lose/profit if I put in the stop loss from 9:30 AM. I am also testing increasing the profit targets.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #83200
Ignore chetron
11/18/2009 6:38:34 AM

PaulChamp,
i believe the tman is putting in a profit limit stop in before 11:15, not a stop loss limit.

hth

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Filter for short term trades<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.