StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Filter to cover the volume based on your investment amount<< >>Post Follow-up
Maverick69
6 posts
msg #65325
Ignore Maverick69
7/21/2008 9:22:19 PM

I made the following filter after I bought some very cheap penny stocks only to realize that I bought way more shares then where traded on a daily basis. A crude example... If you buy a .005 stock, and you invest $1000, that would be 200,000 shares. Make sure the daily trades far excede 200,000 shares traded!

Filter example...
set{bn1, low}
set{bn2, 1000/bn1}
set{bn3, bn2*300}
set{bn4, bn2*200}
and average volume(1) above bn3 for the last 1 days
and Average Volume(1) above bn4 for the last 20 Days
and Average Volume(10) above bn3 for the last 30 Days
and Average Volume(50) above bn3 for the last 30 Days

This filter assumes your investment will be $1000. It takes the $1000 and divides it by the "low" to calculate the # of shares that would be purchased at the low for $1000. "bn3" and "bn4" are just multiplication variables of 300 and 200 times that number of shares (my comfort zone). Then whatever limits you're comfortable with for the filter. In this case, volume must excede the number of shares purchased (at the low) with $1000, times 300 for at least the last 1 day. X200 for the last 20 days. Avg Volume(10) x 300 for the last 30 days. Avg Volume(50) for th e last 30 days.

Change the $1000 to what ever you plan to invest and the "bn3" and "bn4" to whatever your comfort level is, as well as the day limits for the filter.

Hope this helps some of you before you buy too many shares.
It sure makes me more comfortable!

cunparis
71 posts
msg #65384
Ignore cunparis
7/24/2008 1:36:42 AM

It's funny that you post that because I do something very similar, although in a different order. I take the average daily range(10) and multiply by 0.0025 which corresponds to using 400 as the multiple in your example. I've been experimenting and once I get comfortable with this ratio I was planning on increasing it to 0.0050 and then later seeing how far I could go. I then use the # of shares calculated based on the ratio to screen the stock. That way I don't even see stocks that don't qualify.

I too bought a stock too thin and completely drove up the price on it when I covered a short. Very frustrating.

Anyway, here's how I do it. min_stake is the minimum stake you want to screen for. In this case, I only accept stocks in which I can invest 5k without exceeding the ratio. Then max_stake is the actual stake I want to invest. Currently it's lower because I'm testing out the filter, but the ideal would be that the two stake amounts be the same.

set{ratio_tradeable, 0.0025}
set{min_stake, 50000}
set{max_stake, 1000}
set{avg_volume, average volume(10)}

set{volumeTimesPrice, close * avg_volume}
set{stakeFromRatio, volumeTimesPrice * ratio_tradeable}
stakeFromRatio is above min_stake
set{shares_from_ratio, ratio_tradeable* avg_volume}
set{shares_from_max_stake, max_stake / close}
set{shares_traded, min(shares_from_ratio, shares_from_max_stake)}
set{stake, shares_traded * close}
add column industry
add column sector
add column avg_volume
add column min_stake
add column max_stake
add column ratio_tradeable
add column shares_from_ratio
add column shares_from_max_stake
add column shares_traded
add column stake

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #65396
Ignore chetron
7/24/2008 6:53:34 AM

CLICKABLE...

Fetcher[

set{bn1, low}
set{bn2, 1000/bn1}
set{bn3, bn2*300}
set{bn4, bn2*200}
and average volume(1) above bn3 for the last 1 days
and Average Volume(1) above bn4 for the last 20 Days
and Average Volume(10) above bn3 for the last 30 Days
and Average Volume(50) above bn3 for the last 30 Days

]

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #65397
Ignore chetron
7/24/2008 6:54:31 AM

CLICKABLE...

Fetcher[

set{ratio_tradeable, 0.0025}
set{min_stake, 50000}
set{max_stake, 1000}
set{avg_volume, average volume(10)}

set{volumeTimesPrice, close * avg_volume}
set{stakeFromRatio, volumeTimesPrice * ratio_tradeable}
stakeFromRatio is above min_stake
set{shares_from_ratio, ratio_tradeable* avg_volume}
set{shares_from_max_stake, max_stake / close}
set{shares_traded, min(shares_from_ratio, shares_from_max_stake)}
set{stake, shares_traded * close}
add column industry
add column sector
add column avg_volume
add column min_stake
add column max_stake
add column ratio_tradeable
add column shares_from_ratio
add column shares_from_max_stake
add column shares_traded
add column stake

]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Filter to cover the volume based on your investment amount<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.