StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Finding Trading Ranges -- Congestion Zones<< >>Post Follow-up
jhenninger
63 posts
msg #51474
Ignore jhenninger
5/8/2007 8:08:40 AM

Is anyone familiar with a screen or a way to screen for stocks that are trading within a relatively tight trading range? For instance, is there anyway to tweak the syntax so that it can filter for stocks that haven't made a 10-day high or a 10-day low in X amount of time? Or is there a completely different way to scan for trading ranges? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

heypa
283 posts
msg #51477
Ignore heypa
5/8/2007 12:18:34 PM

Jon. goto home page
click create a stock screen
click here for help constructing phrases
click view available phrases
In the list you will find"has been above/below for the last"
this is one way

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #51480
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
5/8/2007 5:33:18 PM

Fetcher[
set{nohi, count( high equal high 10 day high, 9) }
set{nolo, count( low equal low 10 day low, 9) }

draw high 10 day high
draw low 10 day low

nohi equal 0
nolo equal 0
]

Assuming I understand your request, 9 is the most you can check.

HTH.

jhenninger
63 posts
msg #51485
Ignore jhenninger
5/9/2007 7:13:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it very much. So, just so I can understand this screen, it is basically looking for stocks that could potentially be in 10 day trading ranges, correct? And if I wanted to switch that to a 30 day trading range I would just interchange the 10 to 30? Or are there more complications than that? Also, would there be any other indicator that you think would be useful in locating a trading range? I know that with a lot of programs that I have used before there always seems to be a lot of noise associated with these types of screens. Anything that would help alleviate this potential problem?

Thanks again,

Jon

jhenninger
63 posts
msg #51489
Ignore jhenninger
5/9/2007 9:19:29 AM

Actually, upon further review, it looks like that screen doesn't do the job of finding trading ranges. Initially I thought that it could provide the basics to such a screen, but it appears that it doesn't. Anyone have any ideas how to utilize SF to find tight trading ranges? Just curious..

Thanks,

Jon

heypa
283 posts
msg #51496
Ignore heypa
5/9/2007 7:02:41 PM

jon try this. You can put any length high or low scan and any separation number you want to try.Remember the spread percentage will look wider with higher priced stocks.Play with it.If this doesn't do it perhaps the bollinger squeeze will do. searce the forums for it.

price has been below high 10 day high for the last 10 days
price has been above low 10 day low for the last 10 days
high 10 day high divided by the low 10 day low is less than 1.02

rtucker
318 posts
msg #51529
Ignore rtucker
modified
5/11/2007 12:11:40 AM

Here is one method that may be of some use:

Fetcher[count( price touched ma(26),30 ) > 5
and 30 day slope of close is between .002 and -.002
close > 10
avg vol(90) > 100000
]

Another possibility:

Fetcher[high 65 day high is less than 15% above support(65,10)
support slope(65,10) is between .005 and -.005
and close is above 10 and avg vol(90) > 100000
]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Finding Trading Ranges -- Congestion Zones<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.