StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · How to make the phrase "does not equal"?<< >>Post Follow-up
MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #65992
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/9/2008 11:25:03 AM

I want to have this line appear in a filter, but the syntax does not recognize it.

OPEN does not equal CLOSE

Stock Fetcher does however recognize:

OPEN equals CLOSE

How do I word the notion of non-equality to Stock Fetcher?

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #66032
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
8/10/2008 10:05:34 PM

It wont because the software only offers you 2 possibilities. Above or below. It needs to know which way you want to go.

"OPEN does not equal CLOSE?" That's a huge range my friend. SF is designed to get you much closer than what you're settling for, "if" i'm understanding you correctly.

RIGGS

wantonellis
155 posts
msg #66081
Ignore wantonellis
modified
8/11/2008 4:38:23 PM

MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #66082
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/11/2008 4:45:04 PM

RIGGS,

Thanks for the input. I emailed the SF team, and they responded...with an interesting feature that I would have figured out on my own in about 2-3 months from now when I learned that there is an absolute value command available.

Tom with SF suggested that I try this:

show stocks where abs(open minus close) is above 0

I figure I can use the absolute value greater than 0 anytime I need to express inequality right? If any value is NOT suppsed to equal another value, I can take their absolute difference, and make sure it is greater than 0...brilliant!!!

The main reason I wanted this line was to filter out dojis. I have a scan that returns a few stocks each time with like 30 dojis out of a 3 month chart. Those are NOT the charts that I want to play...and I would rather they got filtered out to begin with.

I found a way of using the count function to accomplish this to some degree...My line for filtering out lots of dojis is this:

Show stocks where count(open equals close, 60) is less than 10.

That line returns stocks that have had fewer than 10 dojis in the past 60 trading days. Using it has filtered out most of the stocks I wanted to get rid of...but a few still linger. I suppose when you look closer at them, they are really spinning tops, not dojis.

I am still working on a way of filtering OUT dojis and spinning tops. I understand that dojis and spinning tops are great candles, and they have their place...but their place is NOT in this particular filter of mine.

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #66085
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
8/11/2008 5:00:54 PM

Money -

You're a genius man! When you finish your filter, you have to share it with us imediately! No "Doji's or "spinning tops?" Talk about a filter to die for! So funny...for the life of me, I couldn't understand what the hell you were trying to do. LOL...

RIGGS

MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #66090
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/11/2008 6:02:12 PM

Yeah...no dojis...no spinning tops...I sitll have to tweak it a bit...
I like dojis and spinning tops..just not in certain places...I have nothing agaist dojis...unelss they are at the top of an uptrend...

Thanks to wantonellis for opening my eyes to using the count function with a 1 day span for inequality. I did not think of that either. I have so much to learn...I've been using SF for less than a week now.

I found someone's filter for finding small body candles (may have been one of yours RIGGS) but that filter displays them, I want to discard them...so I could not figure out how to rewrite it to work for me. Simply adding the word NOT does not get the job done unfortunately.

Is there a proper definition for a spinning top? With regards to the open/close ratio? half a percent difference perhaps?

To give you an idea of what I want to eliminate, I want to get rid of stocks like the following by filtering out excessive doji and spinnign top formations:

EDS
MO
GHC
STTA
CAEL

I am not saying that those are bad stocks...and I am not saying that they will not rise in price...but oftentimes when a stock's price is almost the same from day to day, there is something else going on there...perhaps a buyout, or whatever...either way, I don't want them in my scans...but a few seem to slip through each time.

My line that filters out more than 10 dojis in a 60 day span usually takes care of them...but the spinning top stocks pass that filter. I need to now make something that catches them too. Ultimately, I can filter them out manually...but I would rather let SF do it for me ;-)

I'll play with the count() feature and I'll try to define a spinning top mathematically...perhaps a combo of those functions using set{} variables can filter out those spinning tops too.

MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #66091
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/11/2008 6:49:51 PM

A follow up to myself:

I gave some bad examples in my previous post. I was trying to get some examples up really quick for illustration..and by looking at a small chart in the quick view, I was not able to see the price fluctations clearly for some of those examples...specifically MO...on the standard stockfetcher chart, MO looks like nothing but spinning tops and dojis...but infact, that chart is setup nicely. It can pop anytime....its a nice setup...unless there was PR back when it fell, that sorta keeps the price in check...I dunno, haven't done the DD on that one.

There are many other examples that I can give to show the patterns I am referring to...I'll do so later when I have time.

aarp
4 posts
msg #126335
Ignore aarp
11/27/2015 2:23:27 PM

set { a1 , count ( x equal y ,1)}
set { b1 , 1 - a1 }

set {not_equal , count ( b1 equal 1 ,1)}

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #126336
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
11/27/2015 2:42:51 PM

set{openequalsclose, count(open equals close,1)}
openequalsclose below 0.5

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · How to make the phrase "does not equal"?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.