StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Index Compare Display<< >>Post Follow-up
itrademan
70 posts
msg #46073
Ignore itrademan
7/26/2006 3:54:49 PM

I am trying to brainstorm here on ways to use the indexes for trading.

Can anyone suggest improvemnts or better way to use a display created below.

Fetcher[
set{vspx,ind(^spx,price)}
set{ispx,indposition(vspx,100)}

set{vixic,ind(^ixic,price)}
set{iixic,indposition(vixic,100)}

set{vdji,ind(^dji,price)}
set{idji,indposition(vdji,100)}

set{iprc,indposition(price,100)}

draw ispx
draw iixic on plot ispx
draw idji on plot ispx
draw iprc on plot ispx
]

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #46076
Ignore nikoschopen
7/26/2006 7:48:59 PM

Can you be little more specific on what you want to achieve? What is it about the close of the three major indexes that you have in mind? Unless you tell StockFetcher what it needs to do with such information, you'll just end up with 8500+ useless stocks. On the other hand, you could tell StockFetcher to find stocks that have crossed above its 50-day moving average only if the Dow Jones is above its 50-day moving average.

Fetcher[
set{djia,count(ind(^dji,price) above ind(^dji,ma(50)),1)}
djia above 0
and price crossed above MA(50)
]

BTW, what's the need for using "indposition" in ure filter?

itrademan
70 posts
msg #46089
Ignore itrademan
7/27/2006 10:44:15 AM

I am trying to write a display (not filter) which I can add to my watch list. May be I was not clear in my earlier post.

One of the uses I was thinking of looking for the divergence comparing the stock against major indices and deciding long or short plays for swing trades based on market. I am trying to use Dow's theory.

The criteria you have added can be useful to add to my filters.

Thanks for your response any additional suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #46093
Ignore nikoschopen
7/27/2006 12:47:21 PM

If you just want to compare a given stock against any or all of the indexes or perhaps with another stock within the same industry or sector, you can use the "compare to" qualifier instead:

Fetcher[
compare with ^DJI
compare with ^IXIC
compare with ^SPX

compare with CSCO
compare with XOM
]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Index Compare Display<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.