StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Long or Short Filter.<< >>Post Follow-up
novacane32000
331 posts
msg #100886
Ignore novacane32000
5/24/2011 3:38:57 PM

How do you work around the fact that most stocks follow the market up or down when you build a filter.

Long filters work great in a bull market.

Short filters work great in a bear market.

Sideways market ??

A while back someone was kind enought to show me how to attach a "SP500 Indicator" filter. Is that the answer?

How do you decide?

jimvin
170 posts
msg #100899
Ignore jimvin
5/25/2011 2:10:49 PM

For what its worth, I always trade short; in Monday at open, out Friday at 3:30...except in this market out no later than Thursday at 3. (Even out Monday if I hit a good return). Buying between 5 and 10 stocks, average return is around 3% a week. Not to shabby...

novacane32000
331 posts
msg #101102
Ignore novacane32000
6/6/2011 2:14:28 PM

You trade short only in both a bullish and bearish market? Do you have a screen for making your short picks?

jimvin
170 posts
msg #101227
Ignore jimvin
modified
6/12/2011 9:26:17 PM

Sorry for the delay.

I trade short no matter what the market conditions. I need a 2% return each week in order (frankly) to get rich in a reasonable period of time (3-5 years). The filters I use vary depending on market conditions; some filters that worked wonderfully well in February collapsed in April; in May I started again with an entirely new set of filters and began building systems around those. If you're looking for a good method the best advice I can give is, pick some of the filters/systems here based on their % returns and test them for 4 to 6 weeks using your trading style and see what works best. (As noted in a previous post, I've tested hundreds of filter over the last 2 years.)

For example, I would take any given filter and overlay my preferences in MACD pattern, candlestick pattern, etc. (You may want to add P&F charts - although I haven't found them to be very effective a predictive since about March - or other technicals).

Stockfetecher has a good backtesting tool, but it doesn't fit the details of my trading style, that's why I prefer to test in real markets.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Long or Short Filter.<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.