StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Macd positive divergence filter !!<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
wedad73
2 posts
msg #34019
Ignore wedad73
11/20/2004 8:41:41 AM

Hello freinds ,
does any expert one tell us a filter which find stocks which make a positive divergence with its macd (26,12) while the stock in downtrend when its make its positive divergence ?
these kind of stocks as you know make a huge movement if one could find them and play buy game with them ..?
thanks alot

xplorer
257 posts
msg #34029
Ignore xplorer
11/20/2004 9:24:44 PM

I pulled this from SF ... but I am not able to give credit to the creator...
... hope this helps !

Fetcher[
Show stocks where MACD fast line(12,26) is approaching
MACD slow line(12,26) from below
and Average Volume(30) is above 50000
and volume is greater than 50000
and price is above 3
and MACD fast line(12,26)has been below 0 for 3 months
and MACD slow line(12,26) has been below 0 for 3 months
and RSI(10) is below 20
and bollinger(20) is greater than .25

and date offset is 0
]

yepher
359 posts
msg #34040
Ignore yepher
11/21/2004 2:44:56 PM

wedad73,

xplorer's post may answer your question perfectly. I thought this would be a really good time to bring up divergence the way I find it most useful.

I have tried several time to produce a general purpose way to find divergence of a given indicator. I have yet to personally solve the problem. Here is what I mean by divergence with the hope that by describing it I inadvertently figure it out or someone else has the answer that they would share.

I have seen many posts about divergence through the years on this forum but have yet to see any that find the divergence I mean.

Here is a picture of the divergence I mean:
http://www.stockcharts.com/education/IndicatorAnalysis/Images/rsi-dellss.png

or maybe this is a better image:
http://www.chartfilter.com/reports/c39_files/c39-1.gif

(it is only a coincidence that these two happen to use RSI measures)

When I talk about divergence I mean a particular price event and indicator event. I want to find the previous time that occurred and measure the slope between them. I want to know the slope of the indicator points and price for the two points relate those two values together.

As far as I know this is only available as manual line studies of a chart.

I believe the problem is partially solved with the "slope" syntax. It would be especially useful if slope could take a variable that was formed from "days since" or "count" commands.

james549
53 posts
msg #34041
Ignore james549
11/21/2004 3:36:36 PM

yepher

Is this what you are looking for?
Fetcher[Show stock price between 1 and 250
and 10 day slope of price is greater than .2
and 10 day slope of RSI(14) is less than 0
]

yepher
359 posts
msg #34042
Ignore yepher
11/21/2004 6:53:29 PM

james549

Thanks for the effort, but that is not quite what I am looking for. The divergance I want would need a variable for the input to the slope command.

Here is psuedo code for what I would like:

var point1 = days since peak in indicator
var point2 = days since previous peak in indicator

var divergance = slope of indicator betwen point1 days ago and point2 days ago

To keep the example simple I did left that part out that would tie this information back to the price chart.

wedad73
2 posts
msg #34048
Ignore wedad73
11/22/2004 8:15:59 AM

xplore and all freinds,
thanks for your help .. but stil I have a question , should I put the offset 0 for the daily search or should I change it ??
thanks alot ..

xplorer
257 posts
msg #34065
Ignore xplorer
11/22/2004 7:18:10 PM

the "and date offset is 0" is for backtesting...

.... it doesn't add to the filter. ... though I keep it set to zero, then when the market sentiment changes it is an easy "re-test". The problem with using this, is that is always tests up to the present day... so if you have a filter designed for a 5 day or less hold, it won't provide much useful info, test further back.

Also, be careful, it is easy to mis-interpret the results, as when the markets up, you filter can show alot of 20 - 30% returns in a day... the mother lode... ...and any futher testing will also be biased to the current market conditions. Take a look my posts within this "Filter Exchange", "BACK TESTING - do it right !". I believe a have a reliable way to back test ... not real convenient ... but it does seem to work.

... so back to your question, by changing the offset to different number of days you can see how the filter performs (biased to todays market sentiment)...

xplorer
257 posts
msg #34066
Ignore xplorer
11/22/2004 7:41:50 PM

Yepher
My take on "divergence" is usually two parameters that have opposite slope (negative and positive),,, and price being primary. Given that, slope of each of the parameters should be relatively eacy to compare. Although I am not fully understanding how SF calculates slope ...

yepher
359 posts
msg #34067
Ignore yepher
11/22/2004 11:13:10 PM

xplorer,

I know how to get the slope of the points. The part I am not clear on is how to find the points in a generic way. For instance a phrase such as "10 day slope of some indicator" will not work.

What I would like to do is have some filter that would find the slope between to give offsets for some indicator. See links from previous post for example of the divergence I would like to find.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #61453
Ignore luc1grunt
4/14/2008 9:12:55 AM

"pop" great topic

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Macd positive divergence filter !!<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.