StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Market timing methods<< >>Post Follow-up
laurentb
17 posts
msg #89321
Ignore laurentb
3/9/2010 2:48:15 PM

Besides my day- and swingtrading, I also manage an IRA account. Please share some market timing methods you have been using.

I have been using the 170 period moving average for the past years-> when declining stay in cash, when rising stay in stocks

This strategy backtests around 17% annualized over the past 15 years on the spy. Altough this is not that bad, I am sure better results are possible.

gmg733
788 posts
msg #89333
Ignore gmg733
modified
3/9/2010 6:54:54 PM

My fellow M4M student. I was reading some of your dialog on another thread in regards to M4Ms methods. You seem to be a bit further ahead in the process than me. My day job keeps me from watching intraday so I have to rely on swing trading.

Anyhow, back to your question. I simply use the MA(12) on a monthly chart of the indices. Since these accounts are slow money hedges to my spec trading, I don't mind the time frame and this keeps me out of whipsaws in these accounts. My goal is capital preservation in a down turn and manage it very little. The goal of the spec trading is wealth creation. Above the MA, long. Below, in bonds or cash or income generation.

A little slower than your method, but less whipsaws.

Hope this helps.

gmg733

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #89342
Ignore Eman93
3/9/2010 11:01:08 PM

That is the name of the game picking the tops and the bottoms....... the only difference is the scale of the chart...

gmg733
788 posts
msg #89345
Ignore gmg733
3/10/2010 12:31:04 AM

Pretty much.

How is the booya buy zone treating you Eman? I haven't dove into that one yet?

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #89348
Ignore Eman93
3/10/2010 2:07:09 AM

Not doing the boyaa thing to much... working on timing the overall market.

mystiq
650 posts
msg #89349
Ignore mystiq
3/10/2010 5:42:42 AM

Eman93
- Ignore Eman93 3/10/2010 2:07:09 AM
Not doing the boyaa thing to much... working on timing the overall market.

*Agreed* the market is up to something...I can feel it--> IMHO: Financials/Banks are nearing a TOP.....(-.-)

gmg733
788 posts
msg #89353
Ignore gmg733
3/10/2010 8:20:04 AM

@ Eman

Same here. Was a dunce and didn't get out of a 60% gainer.

Markets are hard to describe here. Some fairly good news out today about jobs bill. If market doesn't perform, we might see some relief in the SPY.

Extremely frustrated with all the government intervention in the market and the manipulation. But I guess I need to suck it up and trade the market I have.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Market timing methods<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.