StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Mini-Ascending Triangle Syntax?<< >>Post Follow-up
jhenninger
63 posts
msg #55870
Ignore jhenninger
10/21/2007 1:36:55 PM

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out a way to create what I call a 'mini-ascending triangle' filter. Essentially, I am trying to screen for stocks that have had the same relative high for the previous x sessions (maybe within a certain tight range of say 1% or so), while the relative lows have been incrementally climbing higher, creating an upward sloping congestion pattern that has the potential of breaking out to fresh x highs. Does stockfetcher have the capability of creating something along these lines? I am familiar with the current "Ascending Triangle" filter that is already built into S.F. 2.0, but I am trying to incorporate the same idea, but within smaller patterns.

Can anyone possibly provide some assistance here?

Thank you for your time... I really appreciate it.

Jon
jmiles301@gmail.com

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #55926
Ignore jrbikes
modified
10/22/2007 9:39:08 PM

I dont know if SF can do that, I know what you are trying to do but it is hard to do,

Try this

Fetcher[ Close crossed above EMA(18) in the last 2 days
close between .01 and .10
]

TZMT, is that like what you want?

jhenninger
63 posts
msg #55960
Ignore jhenninger
10/23/2007 6:57:09 PM

Thanks for the response. Not sure what kind of filter you have created there. What is the rationale behind the syntax? Essentially, I am trying to find 'congestion' setups where the highs are staying relatively constant while the lows are creeping higher and higher (and vice versa for short setups).

Jon

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #55964
Ignore jrbikes
modified
10/23/2007 8:05:55 PM

Go to your SF home page and click on charts on the left top of the page!

Type in

BLLN
DMOI
LWLL

Look at he lows, then look at the Resistance points, those look like Mini triangles to me, do they to you? ( Im not being fececious)

go to settings and go to indicators, type in, Draw EMA(18)

Look at the EMA rising, compare the lows, they will not be perfect, but that scan will give you Triangles, just in another fashion, you can see them! its all in the candles!

you can use a EMA(9) rising filter also!

CTVWF EMA(18) scan Look at that Triangle!

jhenninger
63 posts
msg #55993
Ignore jhenninger
10/24/2007 4:45:28 PM

Thanks for the response once again. Still a little confused here. First, this filter is only looking for a close above the EMA (18), correct? And second, why penny stocks? I don't understand how a simple cross/close above a MA will find a mini-ascending triangle.

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #55996
Ignore jrbikes
modified
10/24/2007 6:11:56 PM

Did you look at CTVWF?

The pennies, I just like them! No special reason!

jhenninger
63 posts
msg #55999
Ignore jhenninger
10/24/2007 7:37:13 PM

Yes, I see that the stock has climbed nicely. However, the daily pattern does not represent a mini-ascending triangle. The beginning of Oct is a decent example of a congestion formation. However, I don't see the logic in finding this particular setup in a simple EMA cross. If there was a way of creating a filter that would specifically attempt to locate the congestion pattern, now that is something that could potentially be a very powerful tool.

Thanks again for your response.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #56096
Ignore luc1grunt
modified
10/27/2007 9:40:52 PM

henninger, I understand your question and have asked the same search my username and triangle). I asked for the "code behind the code" to refine the parameters. You can use the (30,3) to show a 30 day period allowing a 3 days to break out/up, but I would like to refine the actual tops, the percentage deviance allowed for the tops, and the period to calculate the tops. Many of the built in patterns produce slop.

I notice that playing with all the candle filters can produce a great setup here or there, but that is still too cumbersome. I've seen better symmetric triangles in the ascending filters!! .

SF, any help with the "code behind the code"?

Good luck and if I find anything I will pop this back up.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #56097
Ignore luc1grunt
10/27/2007 10:02:56 PM

Still scratching my head on jr's comments as well....?

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Mini-Ascending Triangle Syntax?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.