StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Nominate the filter that you rely most upon.<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
donblack32
17 posts
msg #32547
Ignore donblack32
7/11/2004 12:35:00 PM

I think this would be a good time for us to recap some of the best filters that the stockfetcher group has designed. We could all create a watch list that contains the top 20 or so.

risjr
229 posts
msg #32549
Ignore risjr
7/11/2004 4:50:15 PM

GREAT IDEA!!

I think that eliminates my Parabolic SAR filter

Let's take a look at the others

Ron

siliconhippy
37 posts
msg #32551
Ignore siliconhippy
7/11/2004 4:56:39 PM

Agreed. Looks like the Muddy Filter (plus variations) is a top candidate already.

siliconhippy

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #32584
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/14/2004 4:15:53 PM

Fetcher[RSI(2) < 1]

Just add your own price and volume parameters.

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #32593
Ignore alf44
7/16/2004 12:20:42 PM

That RSI(2) filter gives new meaning to the term "Keep It Simple Stupid" ! lol

But hey...whatever works.

I like simple...simple is good !

alf44

txtrapper
548 posts
msg #32596
Ignore txtrapper
7/16/2004 5:17:56 PM

I vote for Muddtruck's Original Filter;

SHOW STOCKS WHERE CLOSE HAS BEEN DECREASING OVER THE LAST 3 DAYS AND AVERAGE VOLUME(90)IS ABOVE 100,000 AND CLOSE PRICE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 10 AND PRICE TOUCHED LOWER BOLLINGER BAND(20)

TxTrapper

dogonit
5 posts
msg #32662
Ignore dogonit
7/21/2004 6:50:50 PM

This is my version of the 1,2,3 Short w/a candlestick. I have been using different versions of this with doji, hammer, etc. Most of my candidates have been shorts the last couple of weeks. Someone else should contribute.

ADX(14) is above 30 and -DI(14) is above +DI(14) and high has been increasing for 3 days and show stocks where the open equals close and high is above open and low is below open

Would love to see bollinger squeezes and how the outliers are handled ... head fakes, move in initial direction, etc.

kgriffen
49 posts
msg #32671
Ignore kgriffen
7/23/2004 8:37:47 PM

This is my favorite:

stock
Fetcher[Show stocks where Close dropped more than 20 percent over the last 1 day and Average Volume(90) is above 500000 and Volume is above 500000 and Close is between 3.00 and 90.00]

This filter works well in all times, but really works well if the DJIA and IDIX are up. I suppose you could build the same filter for 20% upward movement in a stock and short it, but I personally don't short stocks (yet).

I generally place the trade in the morning after it looks like the stock is not declining any more. This has led me to miss out on a few giant upswings, like the one this morning in EFII (8% in the first few minutes).

Now that I know the filter well enough, I sometimes buy the stock before the close on the day it dipped, that way you can benefit from the hopeful gap up in the morning. And I don't need SF to find it, I just look at any "Largest % Losers" list on the internet that I can find, and make sure price and volume meet my criteria.

I dump the stock if it shows no sign of life by day two. By day four I take my profits.

Thanks to JoeGrossinger for his original idea for this on stocks between .25 and 2.50 (See post called "The VERY BEST Short Term Filter!! Don't Miss This")

chessnut1
58 posts
msg #32672
Ignore chessnut1
7/24/2004 1:39:56 PM

I'll nominate Muddy's modified Darvas Box filter. It's much more useful than the original Darvas Box filter in that it catches the rebound near the bottom of the consolidation phase after a new high rather than waiting for the rebound to form yet another new high before entry (as per Darvas).

This is Muddy's original modified Darvas box filter (referred to commonly in the SF Muddy group as simply the box filter:

Fetcher[SHOW STOCKS WHERE THE CLOSE REACHED A NEW 52 WEEK HIGH WITHIN THE LAST 10 DAYS AND PRICE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 15 AND AVERAGE VOLUME (90) IS GREATER THAN 100000 AND VOLUME IS GREATER THAN 100000 AND STOCK PRICE IS 100 % GREATER THAN 52 WEEK LOW AND WHERE CLOSING PRICE GAINED MORE THAN 26% IN THE LAST 26 WEEKS AND RSI (2) IS BELOW 20]

For a tweaked version of this that finds a larger quantity of stocks, but at a shorter "new high" period, and which limits the returns to the upper half of the chart (above the Bollinger Bands midline), try the following:

Fetcher[show stocks where high reached a new 25 day high within the last 7 days and close is between 1 and 10 and close is above the ma(20) and close is below upper bollinger band(20) and average volume(90) is above 100000 and volume is above 100000 and close is below the 25 day high and RSI(10) is below 70 and do not draw high 5 week high and do not draw high 5 day high]

-- BJ

chessnut1
58 posts
msg #32673
Ignore chessnut1
7/24/2004 1:57:08 PM

I noticed a slight error in the wording of the "do not draw" portion of the 2nd box filter above (the tweaked one). To eliminate the chart-cluttering and not-especially-useful 5 week high lines on your charts, the do not draw command useful. But I mis-wrote the 2nd half of the command. It should read "and do not draw close 5 week high" instead of "and do not draw high 5 day high."

So the correct wording is as follows:

Fetcher[show stocks where high reached a new 25 day high within the last 7 days and close is between 1 and 10 and close is above the ma(20) and close is below upper bollinger band(20) and average volume(90) is above 100000 and volume is above 100000 and close is below the 25 day high and RSI(10) is below 70 and do not draw high 5 week high and do not draw close 5 week high]

--BJ

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Nominate the filter that you rely most upon.<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.