StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Price moving averages converge...<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #65840
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/5/2008 4:01:14 PM

Can anyone help me with a scan that looks for converging SMA prices?

I tried this line:

MA(5) is near MA(10) is near MA(20) is near MA(32) is near MA(50)

And although that got me stocks where the MAs were near...it did not specify how "near" they were to each other, and in many situations, the MAs were moving away from each other again (in other words, I missed the convergence already)

I need stocks where the MAs have not jet converged, but are movnig to do so. Having all the MAs equal each other is no good either...as this is rarely the case...I just want to catch them as they converge...

Thanks in advance, and many thanks afterwards to any who can help out.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #65843
Ignore chetron
8/5/2008 4:52:41 PM

maybe....

Fetcher[
/* tachikawa */

MA(5) is converging with MA(10)
ma(10) is converging with MA(20)
ma(20) is converging with MA(32)
ma(32) is converging with MA(50)

]

MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #65849
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/5/2008 6:18:26 PM

Chetron,

Thanks for the insight. That syntax did not produce any results...but it could still be the proper way to word it...

I used that insight to write something like yours, but I substituted in price for the point of convergence. The goal was to have the moving averages converge together, and the PPS would ideally be very close to that moment as well.

Having the MAs converge on the PPS is ultimately what my filter would lead to...so this is a rough draft.

MA(5) is converging with price
MA(10) is converging with price

so on and so forth...

It's not quite what I want, but like I said, its a rough draft. Thanks for the tip on the converge verb.

BTW, I am looking for a particular pattern...

Check out GSPG near the middle of May through the middle of June. The MAs converged, and the PPS shot out above them...following the MA(5) for the bursts, and falling back no further than the MA(10) as it ran up 100% + profit.

Also look at NEOM over the past 10 trading days. The MAs had all converged, and the stock shot up. Similarly, NVST did the same thing on Monday. The MAs had converged, and the PPS got over the MA(5) and started to peak.

These are the plays that I am hoping to find, and I think Stock Fetcher is going to make it wasier to find them. I have to learn how to use the Fetcher now...

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #65858
Ignore chetron
modified
8/5/2008 7:25:33 PM

the below lines are the only ones that pick up both gspg and neom for your specified dates that are worthy ....

the others pick one or the other or niether.
only 26 to choose from. glty

Fetcher[

MA(5) is converging with close
close above .01
volume above 100000

]

MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #65958
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/8/2008 9:15:38 AM

Chetron,

Can you help me figure out how to run a test on a specified date?

I played around with the date offset, but that did not make any difference in my results. I searched that term on this site, and I read something about how the date offset phrase cannot be used in a saved filter. WTF does that mean? How can one use it? I heard people speak of using the date offset in relation to backtesting...but backtesting does not provide a list of stock for you (does is?). Backtesting is just a measure of performance...specific stocks are not listed.

I would like to go back in time, and run the scan and review the results...how did you do that? Or is that what you did?

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #65962
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
modified
8/8/2008 10:08:46 AM

...just change the date back-n-forth.

Fetcher[MA(5) is converging with close
close above .01
volume above 100000
offset date 5/1/08
]

(my birthday!)

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #65963
Ignore chetron
8/8/2008 10:20:05 AM

what i did was....

1. run the filter
2. click the "historical" thing on any equity that comes up in the results.
3. when historical page comes up, change the equity to gspg.
4. look at the green nugies for results.

hope this helps

MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #65964
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/8/2008 11:34:30 AM

WALLSTREETGENIUS

modified 8/8/2008 10:08:46 AM

...just change the date back-n-forth.

Fetcher[MA(5) is converging with close
close above .01
volume above 100000
offset date 5/1/08
]

(my birthday!)

OIC...I looked it up, and offset date was expressed in NUMBER OF DAYS in the instructions, not an actual date.

Let me try it this way and see what happens.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #65967
Ignore chetron
8/8/2008 12:22:03 PM

when you run a filter from your saved filter list, you always get the latest info, date offset lines are ignored.

when you are in edit mode, or customize tab is selected and run your saved filter, date offset lines are executed.

hope that helps too.

MoneyFetcher
22 posts
msg #65970
Ignore MoneyFetcher
8/8/2008 2:04:27 PM

chetron
8/8/2008 12:22:03 PM

when you run a filter from your saved filter list, you always get the latest info, date offset lines are ignored.

when you are in edit mode, or customize tab is selected and run your saved filter, date offset lines are executed.

hope that helps too.

Aaaahhhh...indeed it does. I think I discovered that you can use an actual date for the offset, or you can use the number of days...I was just using it in the wrong place. The only problem I have now is that my global filters are ignored it seems when I CUSTOMIZE a scan.

Is my only option to copy/paste my global filter into the CUSTOMIZE screen?

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Price moving averages converge...<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.