StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · (ROE / Div Yld) / BETA<< >>Post Follow-up
glgene
613 posts
msg #96105
Ignore glgene
9/9/2010 2:09:37 PM

I would be curious if anyone here seems merit in the script below that I developed last night. Takes into consideration the following:

ROE (Return on Equity), Div. Yield and BETA

The sort is on column 9, descending.

Some of the info must be bogus (e.g., PBG with an extremely high ROE. That said, any comments on (1) the merits of the script, and (2) how would you improve the script to make it more meaningful? Appreciate any suggestions.

Fetcher[
show stocks where dividend yield is between 5 and 10
add column roe
add column dividend yield
set{b, roe/dividend yield}
add column b {roe/div}
add column beta
set {c,b/beta}
add column c{(roe/div)/beta}
return on equity is greater than 1
volume is greater than 100000
sort column 9 descending
]

glgene
613 posts
msg #96107
Ignore glgene
9/9/2010 4:11:21 PM

Oops. Meant PBI, not PBG, in the example (for possible erroneous ROE info).

wkloss
231 posts
msg #96108
Ignore wkloss
9/9/2010 5:42:08 PM

Is your objective or part of your objective to capture dividends or are you just using dividends as an indicator?

glgene
613 posts
msg #96111
Ignore glgene
9/9/2010 10:10:40 PM

Part of the objective would be to collect dividends on a high-basis ROE stock, with a corresponding lower beta (to lower the amount of stock devaluation if market goes south).

Is there any logic to this sort of thinking? It's an experiment that, if it makes sense, I may pursue it.

That's why I'm asking for feedback -- pro and con.

Zack

drew9
171 posts
msg #96112
Ignore drew9
9/9/2010 10:32:27 PM

glgene, I think the filter has a lot of merit as I have also tried to create similar filters for dividends. I like the rolling aspect of many of the high yielding stocks. Problem was as you discovered the SF fundamental data seemed to be flawed. Looking at the data and comparing to Yahoo there were huge discrepancies. I have not tried this in awhile but abandoned the effort previously due to this issue.

wkloss
231 posts
msg #96144
Ignore wkloss
9/10/2010 11:51:24 AM

glgene,

If the Bush tax cuts aren't extended into 2011, the tax on dividends may be 38-39% depending on your tax bracket.

While tax rates aren't the only thing to consider when developing a trading strategy, increases of this magnitude ought to be considered.

Bill

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · (ROE / Div Yld) / BETA<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.