StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · SPY indicator<< >>Post Follow-up
novacane32000
331 posts
msg #123451
Ignore novacane32000
4/2/2015 7:12:15 PM

Here is a SPY Filter that beats the SP500 handily since 1998 if someone wants to code it

OK, what follows is a list of a fairly lengthy set of calculations. If you are not a “numbers geek” you might consider skipping down to the actual results.

A = Daily High

B = Daily Low

C = Daily Close

D = 200-day moving average of daily closing prices

E = Daily True High (Today’s high or yesterday’s low, whichever is greater)

F = Daily True Low (Today’s low or yesterday’s high, whichever is lower)

G = Daily True Range (E-F)

H = Average Daily Price (A + B) / 2

I = 15-day Average of H

J = 15-day Average of G

K = MVCI = (C-I) / (J * Square Root of 2))

L = Buy Signal Cutoff Value

M = # days to hold a long position

Figure 1 displays an Excel spreadsheet with these calculations.

1 Figure 1 – Excel spreadsheet for MVCI (whatever that means) Indicator

Hmmm, maybe I do have too much time on my hands. But I digress. In (slightly long-winded) English, the indicator is calculated by:

1) Subtracting the 15-day average of the average daily price (defined as( [high]+[low]/2)) from today’s closing price, and dividing that result by;

2) The 15-day average of the Average True Range times the square root of 2

Don’t ask me how someone came up with multiplying something by the square root of 2 because, well, heck I don’t even know what MVCI stands for, so how would I know?

The default value for variable L is -0.51. The default value for M is 22 days.

A “Buy Signal” occurs when:

1) The closing price for SPY is above its 200-day simple moving average AND;

2) The MVCI value for that day is -0.51 or less. So when a buy signal occurs the trader buys SPY and holds it for 22 trading days.

If MVCI drops below -0.51 during these 22 days then the 22 day holding period starts again at 22, i.e., positions can be held for longer than 22 days.

Figure 2 displays the fluctuations of the MVCI since 12/31/2012 with the -0.51 level highlighted in red. 2Figure 2 – The MVCI (whatever that means) indicator in action

So in a nutshell, anytime SPY is above its 200-day moving average each day the MVCI is below -0.51 starts a 22 day holding period.

Crazy , right?

Well, maybe we should consider the results first.

The Results

For the record:

-$1,000 invested in SPY using MVCI in the manner described here grew to $4,417 (+342%)

-$1,000 invested in SPY on a buy-and-hold basis grew to $1,848 (+84.8%)

four
5,087 posts
msg #123452
Ignore four
4/3/2015 12:34:50 AM

dashover
224 posts
msg #123456
Ignore dashover
4/3/2015 11:46:03 AM

http://jayonthemarkets.com/2015/02/26/the-mvci-whatever-that-means-indicator/

tennisplayer2
210 posts
msg #123458
Ignore tennisplayer2
4/3/2015 1:37:26 PM

Does anyone know how to setup a downloadable spreadsheet using this? I am not that good with excel. Thanks.

jimmyjazz
102 posts
msg #123465
Ignore jimmyjazz
4/4/2015 1:22:13 PM

Not to discourage your efforts, but that's a 9% annualized yield. You can hit 12% with just a simple moving average crossover technique. (Of course, in all situations when you compare to buy and hold you need to account for taxes and fees.)

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #123472
Ignore johnpaulca
modified
4/4/2015 6:59:51 PM

Modified Chartmill Value Indicator... read about it a few years back in Stocks and Commodities magazine...I think.

http://search.traders.com/search?q=cvi&btnG=Search&filter=0&entqr=0&ud=1&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&output=xml_no_dtd&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&client=default_frontend&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&site=default_collection

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · SPY indicator<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.