StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Simple Filter for Short Term Options<< >>Post Follow-up
snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #147056
Ignore snappyfrog
3/24/2019 3:56:00 PM

This is a short term options filter I use just like short swing trading stocks. When the close reaches a new one month high, I buy short term calls. When the price begins falling from the 1 month high, I buy puts. I only hold 2+ days until the sentiment changes. I use a symlist of optionable stocks that I like to buy calls and puts over and over.

Fetcher[
/* Look back until you see one beginning to fall away from the high for possible put */

apply to symlist(AMD,BA,BKS,BNED,BRZU,CHK,ATVI,CVS,GPRO,GT,HAL,HBAN,KO,KR,NBR,O,PBR,RIG,ROKU,SENS,URBN,V,VALE,VIPS,WGO,WMT,ZNGA)

price near close 1 month high

draw close 1 month high

draw Stochastic %K(40,40,4)
draw ema(8)
add column separator
add column close 1 month high
add column close 1 month low
]

snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #147057
Ignore snappyfrog
3/24/2019 3:57:58 PM

This is a short term options filter I use just like short swing trading stocks. When the close reaches a new one month low, I buy short term puts. When the price begins climbing from the 1 month low, I buy calls. I only hold 2+ days until the sentiment changes. I use a symlist of optionable stocks that I like to buy calls and puts over and over.

Fetcher[
/* Look back until you see one beginning to climb away from the low for possible call */

apply to symlist(AMD,BA,BKS,BNED,BRZU,CHK,ATVI,CVS,GPRO,GT,HAL,HBAN,KO,KR,NBR,O,PBR,RIG,ROKU,SENS,URBN,V,VALE,VIPS,WGO,WMT,ZNGA)

price near close 1 month low

draw close 1 month low

draw Stochastic %K(40,40,4)
draw ema(8)
add column separator
add column close 1 month high
add column close 1 month low
]

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #147059
Ignore graftonian
3/24/2019 9:06:22 PM

Snappy, Here is a filter I've been playing with, trying to achieve the same goals. It needs work though.

Fetcher[
optionable
Average Volume(30) > 15123123

set{jump1, close - close 1 day ago}
set{jump2, jump1 / close 1 day ago}
set{jump%, jump2 * 100}
draw jump%
add column separator
add column jump%
add column rsi(2)
draw rsi(2)
draw rsi(2) line at 95
draw high 30 day high
draw low 30 day low
set{diff1, high 30 day high - low 30 day low}
set{diff2, close - low 30 day low}
set{diff3, diff2 / diff1}
set{diff%, diff3 * 100}
add column diff%
set{sortnum1, rsi(2) * jump%}
set{sortnum, sortnum1 * diff%}
add column sortnum
sort on column 9 descending
]

snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #147060
Ignore snappyfrog
3/24/2019 9:28:55 PM

graft, nice work. I like sorting that by "jump%" low and high. I think I will play with that some myself. I have filters looking for specific gaps, but this is more like using ATR than a gap filter. Sorting that way is interesting.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #147062
Ignore graftonian
3/25/2019 10:45:49 AM

GOLD was a good play this morning, What's ahead for tomorrow?

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #147065
Ignore nibor100
3/25/2019 12:20:33 PM

@graftonian,

a. You could use the SF command "Day Change" instead of using set commands to compute your 'Jump%' ;however, if you add the line "draw day change" to your filter you'll find SF displays it differently than it displays your Jump% ( another oddity).

b. I think you mean to sort on column 8.

Ed S.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #147066
Ignore nibor100
3/25/2019 12:26:02 PM

@snappyfrog,

Regarding your 1st long filter:

a. What's the most times you've bought short term calls in one particular stock in one month?

b. Are these short term calls in the money, at the money, or out?

c. Are you using the EMA(8) and the Stochastic%K(40,40,4) in some dual manner to make your final picks for which stocks to place the calls on?

Just curious,
Ed S.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #147072
Ignore graftonian
3/25/2019 2:03:10 PM

Ed, As always, thanks for the critique. As for the "jump" variable, I get some perverse pleasure out of re-inventing the wheel. The sorting? I've tried them all and it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Snappy, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry.
Graf

snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #147080
Ignore snappyfrog
modified
3/25/2019 10:50:40 PM

@snappyfrog,

Regarding your 1st long filter:

a. What's the most times you've bought short term calls in one particular stock in one month?

b. Are these short term calls in the money, at the money, or out?

c. Are you using the EMA(8) and the Stochastic%K(40,40,4) in some dual manner to make your final picks for which stocks to place the calls on?

Nibor100, so far the most on any one stock is 6 times in one month on GT (Goodyear Tire). Edit: 6 times buying calls and puts, not just calls.

I always buy no more than 1 strike ITM or OTM.

I use the EMA(8) and sometimes EMA(13) as an exit signal and the Stoch to help me for entries and also to determine whether to keep holding in the middle of a run. It depends on where the %k and %d are located ie.- overbought / oversold, near a cross or turning in the opposite direction.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Simple Filter for Short Term Options<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.