StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Sorry I can't do it myself<< >>Post Follow-up
donblack32
17 posts
msg #31522
Ignore donblack32
3/26/2004 10:25:39 PM

I have been im pressed by those of you who have been so helpful in writing filters for those who don't have a knack for writing filters. Well, I'm one of them. This is the first time in the 8 months I have been a subscriber that I have asked for help. I'll tell you what I want in laymens language. I want stocks who were green today but were red at least three days prior to today. They were at or near the lower bollinger band(20)during those days they were red. Also, the slow stochastics (5,3,3) %k was under 20 and just today crossed above the slow stochastics (5,3,3) %d. Lastly, now this is really layman's terms, the MACD (3,11,17)is rising from way low and crossing above its centerline. "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a solution today." Thanks

cegis
235 posts
msg #31529
Ignore cegis
3/27/2004 5:07:03 PM

You'll have to supply more details if anyone is going to take this challenge on...

"I want stocks who were green today but were red at least three days prior to today."

Is that exactly the three days prior to today, or three of the last five, or three of the last ___??

"They were at or near the lower bollinger band(20)during those days they were red."

I trust you mean close at or near the LBB. Care to define "near"? Is 1% of close close enough? Too close? Or is an absolute amount (e.g., $0.10) desired?

"Also, the slow stochastics (5,3,3) %k was under 20 and just today crossed above the slow stochastics (5,3,3) %d."

Under 20 in what time frame?

"Lastly, now this is really layman's terms, the MACD (3,11,17)is rising from way low and crossing above its centerline."

Now, obviously, "way low" can't be "programmed" into a filter. I assume you are thinking that it is very low, relative to prior lows. Does it have to be the lowest it's been in a year? Or, maybe something like within 10% of it's 52 week low? Or, are you indeed thinking of an absolute low value? Lastly (as far as "way low" is concerned), within what time frame would it have had to hit this "way low" value? And how recently must it have crossed above zero?

Believe it or not, you're actually really pretty close to have written the filter already. All you have to do is "fill in the blanks" to turn this "fuzzy" request into something more concrete. That, and then translating the English into the phrases needed by SF to run the filter, and you have it!

HTH,

C

donblack32
17 posts
msg #31537
Ignore donblack32
3/29/2004 7:10:06 AM

cegis,
since you said i am close to a filter, i will try to use your questions as prompts, and solve this one for myself.
thanks a million for offering to help.
Don

cegis
235 posts
msg #31539
Ignore cegis
3/29/2004 10:06:53 AM

Don,

No biggie... If you still have difficulties, post what you've come up with and your questions, and I'll see if I can nudge you in the right direction again.

C

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Sorry I can't do it myself<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.