StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · THEE ABSOLUTE ((( BOTTOM ))) FILTER!<< 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 >>Post Follow-up
bkhurana43
103 posts
msg #99115
Ignore bkhurana43
modified
2/15/2011 3:54:13 AM

Damoore

Would you mind naming your picks of yesterday so that I can evaluate the accuracy of my selection process. Give me your opinion on the filter that I composed

http://forums.stockfetcher.com/sfforums/?q=view&fid=1002&tid=98790&qrid=

duke56468
683 posts
msg #99126
Ignore duke56468
2/15/2011 8:38:23 AM

damoore...... which version of the filter are you using? Are you using the 3 day offset?

bkhurana43
103 posts
msg #99127
Ignore bkhurana43
modified
2/15/2011 9:08:42 AM

duke56468 -
Please refer to page 10 of this thread that has Damoore's answer (Post 2/14/2011 11:35:20 AM) for your question.

duke56468
683 posts
msg #99143
Ignore duke56468
2/15/2011 9:28:12 PM

bkhurana43...........Thanks

damoore
9 posts
msg #99144
Ignore damoore
2/15/2011 10:29:51 PM

The 4 picks I traded options on Monday were:

DLTR March 50 calls opened at 2.02 on Monday. Closed today at 2.70. 34% Gain.
ACM March 30 calls opened at avg $0.585 on Monday and added more Tuesday.
FRO March 28 calls opened at $0.79. I saw resistance at $27.25 but was hoping it would muscle through it today. It pulled back to support..
MWW June 17 calls at @ 2.30.

Today I opened:
DANG March 25/27 Bull Put credit spread at $1.00. Calls too expensive. Today DANG broke out of long downtrend.
PPL April 25 cals at $0.48
added to the ACM position as stated above.

DLTR is going to open much higher tomorrow because of FDO buyout. Just my luck.

bkhurana43
103 posts
msg #99158
Ignore bkhurana43
2/16/2011 8:34:26 AM

Hi Damoore

Thx for your info. unfortunately I could not get all your mentioned picks by the date specified unless you have used different version of THE ABSOLUTE BOTTOM FILTER. I just set the offset value to zero and then used day by day offset to find the matching list. I didn't even change any parameter values. Picks like DANG...FRO...MWW... did not make the list even going back to Feb 10. I am sorry if I am asking to much.

By the way what is the criteria you are using to select your pick from the list for trading?

Regards,
Bob

mathgeek
11 posts
msg #99161
Ignore mathgeek
2/16/2011 12:44:21 PM

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you would be able to explain how you narrow down the amount of stocks that you look at. the filter gives quite a lot of stocks, and I was just wondering which indicator I should be looking at.

Thanks,

Thomas

bkhurana43
103 posts
msg #99162
Ignore bkhurana43
2/16/2011 1:33:57 PM

Hi Thomas,

I am using this filter to select picks for options trading . Is that going to be the case with you? Currently I am using it for LONG entries.
I was recommended by Demoore to use filter that was modified on 7/31/2008 7:09:56 PM by Cheltron appears at the end of first page of this thread.

the debugged version.....

I made changes to it for my own use:
- Made avg Volume (30) > 500000
- ATR(30) > 1
- stocks that are optionable
- close above 5
- changed offset to 0 value
Criteria:
- I look for 2 days slope in weekly William %R(2) > 0 and then 2 day slope in weekly RSI(2) = < 0. This is a visual
check. you can program it if you like.
- Other indicator value I pay attention to is "adval" close to 100
- Prior to Trade Entry I also check directional plots suggesting uptrend such as MACD etc.

mathgeek
11 posts
msg #99168
Ignore mathgeek
2/16/2011 8:08:14 PM

Hi Bob,

I am trying to use this for stock trading. I like to trade short term (1 week). I also go LONG. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for me about using Cheltron's filter to maximize my gains, or if you know of any other filters which would help me to get at least 3% a week. I also have a couple of questions about stock trading as a profession. I am currently a high school senior, and i have been trading stocks since I was about 14. Now in my senior year I have really become interested in the technical analysis of stocks. Is there any degree which would help me with technical stock analysis. Also, do you trade as your main job, or is it even possible to make a consistent living off of trading.

Thanks

Thomas

damoore
9 posts
msg #99172
Ignore damoore
2/17/2011 12:12:43 AM

bkhurana43,
I noticed when I changed some of the parameters I didn't get some of the symbols that should have been filtered. For example, I added "stocks that are optionable" and AOL which was originally filtered wasn't filterd with the version "stocks are optionable." AOL is an optionable stock. So I decided to go back to the original debugged version without changes. I would just click on the Chetron debugged version and save it in your filters.

FRO was filtered on Feb 7th, MWW filtered on Feb 2-4th.

Also, the filter only list 25 stocks per page...so you don't forget to click on next page.

I closed the BBD Feb 17.92 calls trade out today for 74% gain. This was the first trade I took last Friday using this filter. Nice return for 3 days. I closed the trade because they were Feb options that expire on Friday plus it hit my target price at resistance.

Today I opened AMX May 60 calls. AMX hit the filter Feb 14th. Today it broke out of it's downtrend. I also like these setups and will strongly consider opening them tomorrow. SNY PFG FTI KWK TAP. All of these were Feb 15 scans. SNY feb 14th.

mathgeek or Thomas,
A lot of the symbols are ETF's or ultrashort ETF's. I leave the filter as stated above, but I scan for stocks that trade more that 500K shares and are optionable. I plug-in the 8-10 new symbols that I fit my criteria into my watchlist in my thinkorswim platform. I use technical analysis for my entry decision. I don't blindly enter a stock(option) and hope it was the right one. I wait for the stock to show me which way it's going to move, I want a stock that is going to move with some good price action, volume, since I am trading options I can't buy the options and wait for the stock to move. I want to enter the trade while the stock is just making it's move to capture the runup...and hopefully it does. Options trading gives you the ability to use a lot less capital and make significant more money. With this "ultimate bottom filter", the stock is more than likely near a support level...so if I am entering the options trade near this support or "bottom" area then if the stock moves against me...I can exit at or near my entry. It makes it a great place for a low risk entry/reward.

Options trade example after using this filter. First off, let me make a disclaimer and say that I only found this filter last Thursday as it was bumped from 2009. And by no means am I an expert on this filter or trading options (5 years exp.). My trades are still small using this filter as I am getting familiar. I am not a fan of paper trading.

So I made a list of stocks in a watch list using this bottom filter going back to around Feb 1st . Last Friday I was monitoring the stocks in this watch list and came across BBD as it was moving pretty good. So I jumped in with Feb 17.92 calls at $0.92. I closed the options today for $1.60 as I saw the stock hitting a downtrend resistance area. Plus these calls expire Friday. Buying Options versus buying Stock on BBD: If you bought 10 option contracts at $0.92 or $92 each ($920 invested) and sold for $160 each ($1600 return)...you would have made $680 or 74% return. To make the same $680 profit on this stock...trading at the time of purchasing options of around $18.50 and using todays closing price of $19.58. You would need to buy 630 shares at $18.50 or $11,705.

I hope this info helps.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · THEE ABSOLUTE ((( BOTTOM ))) FILTER!<< 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.