StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · TRO's crock pot filter - modified for 3% a week<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #80668
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
10/5/2009 7:58:42 PM

Ever since I first read TRO's thread on his CROCK POT filter I have been intrigued by its potential. While originally designed to look at 1% weekly gains, and a second version that compares various percentage gains over the past year, I thought I might take a crack at modifying his original code to my specific goal - to find a set of stocks that will deliver 3% a week consistently across recent and historical time frames.

This was inspired also by a modification that Kevin McNulty (kmcninvest) had discussed that shoots for 5% gain a week over the past 13 weeks. This led me to think of viewing the timeframes like an exponential moving average, where the most recent performance is weighted most heavily - by being represented in all timeframes - and having the older data present but less important to the current stock ranking.

Here is my current version (comments welcome):

Fetcher[

/*SLOW COOKER FOR 3% A WEEK FROM LONGS*/

set{whiop, weekly high - weekly open}
set{Long_Profit, whiop / weekly open }
set{wkProfitPct, 100 * Long_Profit }

set{3_4wk, count(Long_Profit > .03,4)}
set{3_8wk, count(Long_Profit > .03,8)}
set{3_13wk, count(Long_Profit > .03,13)}
set{3_26wk, count(Long_Profit > .03,26)}
set{3_50wk, count(Long_Profit > .03,50)}
set{var1,3_4wk/4}
set{var2,3_8wk/8}
set{var3,3_13wk/13}
set{var4,3_26wk/26}
set{var5,3_50wk/50}
set{sum1,var1+var2}
set{sum2,var3+var4}
set{sum3,sum1+var5}
set{weighted_sum,sum2+sum3}

and add column separator
add column weighted_sum
and add column separator
add column 3_4wk {1 mo}
add column 3_8wk {2 mo}
add column 3_13wk {3 mo}
add column 3_26wk {6 mo}
add column 3_50wk {1 yr}

and add column separator
add column wkProfitPct
and add column separator

close is above 5 and close is below 50
average volume(90) above 500000

sort column 6 descending

chart-display is weekly
]

The stocks are sorted on their weighted average, with the highest scores being at the top. Looking at the top 5-10 picks, you would have hit your 3% a week goal every week for the past 13 weeks, and about 95% of the time over the last 6 months (admittedly, the last six months have been awfully good, so this success rate should be tempered by that fact).

I have never been able to deliver consistent results in any other approach I've tried, and it has the added advantage that your money is not constantly in play (usually less than 50% of the time, often you're in only for a few hours before hitting your target for the week).

Obviously, this can be modified to find short candidates - I'll post a shorting version in a bit. I also want to backtest this manually (since each week the stock selections might be different) to see how well it really did.

Kevin

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #80669
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/5/2009 8:06:16 PM

Simple change of conditions for shorts:

Fetcher[

/*SLOW COOKER FOR SHORTS*/

set{wlowop, weekly open - weekly low}
set{Short_Profit, wlowop / weekly open }
set{wkProfitPct, 100 *Short_Profit }

set{3_4wk, count(Short_Profit > .03,4)}
set{3_8wk, count(Short_Profit > .03,8)}
set{3_13wk, count(Short_Profit > .03,13)}
set{3_26wk, count(Short_Profit > .03,26)}
set{3_50wk, count(Short_Profit > .03,50)}
set{var1,3_4wk/4}
set{var2,3_8wk/8}
set{var3,3_13wk/13}
set{var4,3_26wk/26}
set{var5,3_50wk/50}
set{sum1,var1+var2}
set{sum2,var3+var4}
set{sum3,sum1+var5}
set{weighted_sum,sum2+sum3}

and add column separator
add column weighted_sum
and add column separator
add column 3_4wk {1 mo}
add column 3_8wk {2 mo}
add column 3_13wk {3 mo}
add column 3_26wk {6 mo}
add column 3_50wk {1 yr}

and add column separator
add column wkProfitPct
and add column separator

close is above 5 and close is below 50
average volume(90) above 500000

sort column 6 descending

chart-display is weekly
]

heypa
283 posts
msg #80671
Ignore heypa
10/5/2009 8:19:46 PM

Takes real stones to play this since the % loss possible can be pretty high.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #80676
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/5/2009 8:47:22 PM

Statistics argue otherwise, unless there is a big correction in the near future.

Target hit 13 weeks straight by each of the top 10 stocks on the list.
25 of the the last 26 weeks this was hit by each of the top 3 stocks.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment, but am glad you provided input. Thanks!

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #80680
Ignore gabestogie
10/5/2009 9:22:33 PM

Kevin:
Did you play around with the IBD watchlist on this scan yet?
Might be worth a shot.
Gabe

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #80681
Ignore trendscanner
10/5/2009 9:29:24 PM

I generally understand the sorting concept of this filter but I don't understand how you would use this for trading or what would generate the buy and sell signals for these stocks. Would you simply put 3 or 4 of the top filtered stocks on a watch list and wait for an intra-day or multiday pullback for a buy?

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #80684
Ignore gabestogie
10/5/2009 9:58:02 PM

Kevin:
Ran this scan using IBD watchlist and the top 5 from the IBD list were in the top 10 running it without it.
Gabe

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #80686
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/5/2009 10:13:14 PM

I generally understand the sorting concept of this filter but I don't understand how you would use this for trading or what would generate the buy and sell signals for these stocks. Would you simply put 3 or 4 of the top filtered stocks on a watch list and wait for an intra-day or multiday pullback for a buy?
+++++++++++++++

No. It's really quite simple. You buy at the open on Monday (say, each of the top 3 stocks from the screen, which is run before the open). You put in a 3% profit stop.

That's it. Every week you do this. Statistically, you would have made 3% a week every week for the past six months doing nothing but these two steps. Often you are in and out by the end of the day on Monday - that's it for the week. No more trading needed.

Set it and forget it.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #80687
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/5/2009 10:19:20 PM

Kevin:
Ran this scan using IBD watchlist and the top 5 from the IBD list were in the top 10 running it without it.
Gabe
++++++++++

Understood, but remember that this filter looks only for those stocks which are statistically favored to give a 3% spread from the weekly open to the weekly high - IBD ranking has nothing to do with it here, only statistics.

Makes sense that stocks such as FUQI and others are there - they have done so well that just buying and holding would have given you a better return than this approach over the last six months.

kmcninvest
43 posts
msg #80691
Ignore kmcninvest
10/5/2009 11:38:59 PM

This is not an IBD filter as Kevin has posted in another thread. This is from TRO's filter. I modified it thinking that the most recent on the list would be more accurate. So I made a 13 week filter with colums for the 26 and 52 to break ties. This filter only missed once from the middle of July (on stocks I picked). That was when CAR dropped down but since has come back. I like what Kevin has done with the weighted score. This is a pure statistics filter but you still have to do research on the stocks that are on the list.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · TRO's crock pot filter - modified for 3% a week<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.