StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Trading Gaps<< >>Post Follow-up
stefonk
33 posts
msg #97999
Ignore stefonk
12/14/2010 10:23:09 PM

Is there a filter that can detect gaps a day before they occur? Either up or down gaps. I will be very glad to see that. Thanks.

straken
469 posts
msg #98001
Ignore straken
12/14/2010 10:48:08 PM

A gap isn't a gap until it gaps. If someone can code that, I would love to see it too. Here is an old filter I wrote a long time back that you may edit til your hearts desire. My attempt here was trying to code for stocks that had a frequency within their 14 day LRC channel to gap down then fill but I did not continue with it nor did I use it much so I cant tell you how well it performs. I few times I did find stocks that that had a frequent occurance (var5) that would open below its lower lrc and I would enter good til cancelled option orders for standing days hoping it would repeat this gap down at open and get fills at a cheap price. It worked a few times to my benefit but I have not used it for a while. Maybe you can expand on this or it may provide you another idea.

Fetcher[
open below Bottom Linear Regression(14,1) 1 day ago
set{var5,count(open below Bottom Linear Regression(14,1) 1 day ago,30)}
add column var5
slope of Linear Regression(14,1) > .1
price > 5
optionable
draw Linear Regression(14,1) lag 1 day
Day Change >
]

Hope it helps.

four
5,087 posts
msg #98003
Ignore four
modified
12/14/2010 11:29:39 PM

I'll use WH on September 7, 2010 as an example.

This filter finds the tall white candle.

Look 1 day before AND look 1 day after the tall white candle.
Do you see the gap?

Now remove the OFFSET and try some other days and stocks. See the constant pattern.

Any ideas how to use this filter for profit?

Perhaps, we wait for the breakout:
BULL: trade occurs if a candle low clears the high of the filter candle.
BEAR: trade occurs if a candle high clears the low of the filter candle.
Consider a no trade range occurs as long as an overlap is present.

Fetcher[
ema(5) crossed above ema(10)
close > 1
volume > 100000
close > open

rsi(14) > 64
close > ema(5)
open < ema(10)
offset 9/7/2010

]

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #98007
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
12/15/2010 8:05:02 AM

You can't predict the future with 100% accuracy but you can report on WHAT HAS HAPPENED!

That is why I write statistics filters:

http://forums.stockfetcher.com/sfforums/?q=view&fid=1002&tid=45054&qrid=

Knowing the frequency that gaps have occurred, the average size of the gap and the how often they filled during the last 100 days gives you the information you need to trade gaps.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Trading Gaps<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.