StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Very sad: "date offset" does NOT support all features!<< >>Post Follow-up
elnaffar
4 posts
msg #31705
Ignore elnaffar
4/13/2004 10:35:36 AM

If you try the following filter you will realize that "date offset" has no effect on the way the channel is computed. In other words, you CANNOT back-test any filter in which you use "channel". I believe it is the same concern for other features such as the SLOPE.

"Price trading near the bottom of a increasing 180 day channel
and date offset 30"

StockFetcher confirmed this fact to me. Hope they are working on it.

txtrapper
548 posts
msg #31706
Ignore txtrapper
4/13/2004 10:52:47 AM

It works for me, you left out "is"

Fetcher[Price trading near the bottom of a increasing 180 day channel and date offset is 0]

Then backtest with "and date offset is 30"

TxTrapper

elnaffar
4 posts
msg #31707
Ignore elnaffar
4/13/2004 12:07:55 PM

txtrapper,
I made more experiments and I tend to say that we are both right. Try this filter today :

"Price trading near the bottom of a increasing 180 day channel and date offset is 60 and chart-length is 12 months"

One of the symbols returned is QLGC in which the channel appears with a -ve slope, i.e., it is decreasing! What I realized that the "displayed" channel is computed based on up-to-date stock prices and ignoring the offset. Nevertheless, 60 days ago the channel was truely increasing and the price was near bottom, BUT, the lines of that channel is not drawn. What is drawn is today's channel. In other words, the filter is actually working but the displayed channel is incorrect. You can verify this hypothesis if you look at the chart. You will realize that the price 60 days ago is near the TOP of the "displayed" channel. While it is actually the bottom of the channel calculated 60 days ago, which means that the filter worked correctly.

By the way, and since I am kind of knowing how the command processor works in StockFetcher, using "is" is not needed in "and date offset is 60". You could take it out or you can even write "and date offset txtrapper 60" or even "and offset txtrapper 60" (without 'date')

It works! ;-)

Elnaffar

txtrapper
548 posts
msg #31714
Ignore txtrapper
4/13/2004 7:49:18 PM

Try;

"2 months" instead of 60 days.

Txtrapper

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Very sad: "date offset" does NOT support all features!<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.