StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · What am I doing wrong?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
oldsmar52
104 posts
msg #111325
Ignore oldsmar52
2/12/2013 2:21:38 PM

The stocks that come up when I run the below portion of my filter are not accurate regarding the volume increase. Am I wording it wrong? Thanks for any advice, Frank

Show stocks where volume gained more than 100% over Average Volume(90)

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #111326
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
2/12/2013 3:19:48 PM

The stocks that come up when I run the below portion of my filter are not accurate regarding the volume increase. Am I wording it wrong? Thanks for any advice, Frank

Show stocks where volume gained more than 100% over Average Volume(90)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First thing is to understand that the volume changes over the course of the day. Check your syntax by looking back one day and see if the volumes are correct.

I might have written it a little differently (not necessarily the best way):

Fetcher[

set{target, average volume(90) * 2}
volume above target

]

Then I might add a graph on the bottom to show me where this trigger occurred previously:

Fetcher[

set{target, average volume(90) * 2}
volume above target

set{trigger, count(volume above target,1)}
draw trigger

]

oldsmar52
104 posts
msg #111328
Ignore oldsmar52
2/12/2013 4:08:56 PM

Thnaks much, Kevin.................Frank

wcurtis
54 posts
msg #111436
Ignore wcurtis
2/16/2013 1:14:21 AM

Average Volume(90) is above 100000
and volume today is more than 100 percent above average volume(90)

Not exactly what you are looking for, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

duke56468
683 posts
msg #111440
Ignore duke56468
2/16/2013 11:34:16 AM

this seems to work in my filters

Fetcher[
volume 100% above average volume(90)
add column average volume(90)
]

oldsmar52
104 posts
msg #111446
Ignore oldsmar52
2/16/2013 8:41:30 PM

First off, thanks for the responses again from all of you. Now I have another question. This may seem like a contradiction of words....but, am I wording this right? "Weekly RSI(2) is above Weekly RSI(2) one day ago". Since nothing seems to be coming regarding what I'm asking for....I must be wording it wrong or it just can't be done. Thanks in advance, Frank

heypa
283 posts
msg #111447
Ignore heypa
2/17/2013 1:07:27 AM

Try" is greater than" instead of" is above". StockFetcher is very precise about its commands.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #111452
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
2/17/2013 10:15:41 AM

I would use this:

Fetcher[
set{wrsi2, weekly rsi(2)}
wrsi2 above wrsi2 1 day ago
]

Just add this to your current filter and it should work

gloria garrison
23 posts
msg #111534
Ignore gloria garrison
2/19/2013 11:35:15 PM

This is simple to fix so you get exactly what you're looking for, do it like this:
set {vol_diff, volume / avgvol (100) 1 day ago} show stocks where vol_diff is more than 2 and do not draw vol_diff

this will find stocks where volume is 2 times the hundred day average volume or greater, not merely double. I do something similar, however I use a 50 day average volume versus a hundred day average and i want 3 times the volume, I further seek out stocks where the Price Difference Index (PDX) is below 0.2, this pulls up stocks that were hammered down to such a point that value investers can not pass them by.

to make the PDX simply do this:

set {ee, ema (10) - ema (20)} and set {mine, min (ema (10), ema (20))} and set {em, ee / mine} and set {PDX, em * 100}

to truely make a good filter, I write it just like this:

set {liquidity, price * volume} and set {avg_liquidity, ema (20) 1 day ago * avgvol (20) 1 day ago} and set {vol_diff, volume / avgvol (20) 1 day ago} and set {hl, high - low} and set {r, hl / low} and set {range, r * 100} and set {cmar, cma (r, 20) 1 day ago} and set {avg_range, cmar * 100} and set {ee, ema (10) - ema (20)} and set {mine, min (ema (10), ema (20))} and set {em, ee / mine} and set {PDX, em * 100} and show stocks where liquidity is more than 1000000 and vol_diff is more than 2 and price is above price 1 day ago and price is less than 20 and PDX is below 0.2 and slow stochastic (30,4,4) %k is above slow stochastic (30,4,4) %d and do not draw liquidity and do not draw vol_diff and draw median bollinger band (20, 3.00) and draw ema (10) and draw ema (200) and draw ema (50) and draw avgvol(20) on plot volume and draw cma (PDX, 8) on plot PDX and draw cma (cmf (30), 8) on plot cmf (30) and add column avgvol (20) {avg_volume} and add column vol_diff and add column liquidity and add column avg_liquidity and add column range and add column avg_range and add column PDX and add column industry and add column sector and sort column 6 descending

be extra careful to make curly braces "{ }" not brackets "[ ]" after the "set" control otherwise it doesn't work. I too recommend going with a 20 day average volume as it is more relevant than say a 50 or 100 day average for nailing a volume surge as you want to do.

the charts will have the three major moving averages followed by the big boys, the ema (20) which is the center bollinger band, the ema (50) and the ema (200), I've added the ema (10) as it is the first half of the PDX , the center bollinger band is the second half, further I put the deviation at 3 opposed to 2 on bollinger band as it tends to track price better with extremes moving beyond it.

as for indicators, you got Chanikin's money flow (CMF) and an 8 period average of it, it's set at 30 periods which is fast yet acurate enough to make informed decisions...... read up on it in the user guide or in Technical analysis of stocks and commodities magazine archive.

next is the slow stochastic oscillator , you'll see that it warns to get out or to buy in at the 20 and 80 levels per say by the fast line crossing the slow line, it is most effective on 15 minute charts set at 30 periods with an 8 period ema, but be sure to use the slow not the fast stochastic,

finally you have my own design, the PDX which also will signal buy / sell warnings on any time frame chart.

for stats you have these columns to follow
1.) symbol ..........the exchange I.D. for the listed stocks
2.) last .................the last price the stock last traded for
3.) %change ......the change in value since the open displayed in percentage
4.) volume ..........the total number of shares traded fot a stock, on the nasdaq each trade is 2 shares, one bought one sold
5.) avg_volume ........the average number of shares traded per day for the last 20 days posted
6.) vol_diff ..........the volume divided by the avg_volume, 2 equals double the volume average, 3 is triple, and so on
7.) liquidity .........the actual dollar amount of shares traded for the day, based on the last price traded times the volume
8.) avg_liquidity .......the daily average of the liquidity taken over the last 20 days, not including todays liquidity (for comparing)
9.) range ............the high low price range shown in percentage from the low to the high, (not the price into the high low range)
10.) avg_range .......the daily average of the range taken over the last 20 trading days not including today's (for comparing)
11.) PDX ............the price difference index for each stock listed on the filter results
12.) industry .....the industry, if shown, which the stock does business in
13.) sector ........the sector in which the industry is found

If you would rather find stocks that are in an up trend simply copy the filter and then edit it changing the PDX portion to read:
and PDX is above 0.1

If you're new to trading might I suggest that you set up your stock quote screen on your trading platform so it provides at least the most important information to you. It should be set up in this order:
1.) symbol
2.) last
3.) last trade (green / red arrow) only as wide as is the arrow, (as space is premium)
4.) bid
5.) ask
6.) %Change (from the open not yesterday's close)
7.) last size (very important, it's number of shares traded on last bid and will expose price manipulation by small trade sizes)
8.) bid size (very important, its the size of the buyers, it takes more buyers than sellers to move price up, to few and it falls)
9.) ask size (very important, its the size of the sellers, lots of sellers and price will fall, to few and price will go up)
10.) $Change (from the open not yesterday's close)
11.) volume
12.) the high / low graph (it shows where the stock is at relative to its trading range whether positive or negative to the open)

you should also have a small time and sales window that needs only show the time, price and trade size (no more no less)

there should be a positions screen it should have these columns
1.) symbol
2.) last trade (green / red arrow)
3.) last
4.) % P/L (profit or loss)
5.) close (yesterday's close)
6.) open
7.) high
8.) low
9.) $ P/L
10.) quantity (shares you own)
11.) average price paid
12.) total value

you should have three charts
the first should be a 1 second 7minute line chart, no volome no indicators nothing (I use black background yellow line)
the second should be a 15 minute 2 day candlestick chart with a volume plot and volume moving average (20), chainkin's money flow (30) plot, slow stochastic (30,3) %K (8) %D plot, and keltner channel (at ema (20) standard divation of (2.00) and average true range (30)).
the third chart should be daily for 2 or 3 months candle stick with ema (20), ema (50), ema (200), a volume plot and volume moving average (20), CMF (30) plot, and slow stochastic (30,3) %K (8) %D plot.

my advice is to put the 1 second / 7 minute line chart next to the time and sales window and put them above the quotes screen, the other two charts put side by side with the positions screen above them and link the charts to the quotes and positions screen

I know I provided far more then you asked for, sorry about that but I just like to help, anyway may God bless us all with wealth and happiness, Robert Garrison from stocksforextradingeducation@gmail.com good trading to you, bye now.

oldsmar52
104 posts
msg #111658
Ignore oldsmar52
2/22/2013 6:57:20 PM

Kevin/Gloria, I think the two of you have developed a filter that will fit my needs. I needed something that would let me put in a limit buy on & then I'm content putting a limit sell on and taking a 3% profit. (I'll miss out on some profit but build it up slowly.) I work & am still at home to see if my buy executed but leave shortly after. It appears that if I take the stock with the largest volume differential, I'll do OK. Thanks much to the two of you for your offer to help..................Frank

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · What am I doing wrong?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.