StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · bollinger bands 2<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
ig0r
51 posts
msg #26715
Ignore ig0r
6/3/2003 6:47:02 AM

just trying to keep things easier to read, this is a continuation of wallman's thread, here's the last post, number 112:

rrochon 6/2/2003 10:49:34 PM

Hi, Muddy.

Yes, my brokerage, Interactive Brokers, does have continous real time quotes, but the charts are 20 minute delayed, so by the time the green volume bar shows it is 20 minutes after it happened. But I guess, the term, "in the green" did not refer to the volume bar, as I thought.

So, tonight the screen brought up ABGX with almost 8 million shares traded and IGL with over 2 million.

Without re-reading all of the posts to find the buy target, was it above the close, or above today's high?

Thanks,

Dick

ray_reeves
5 posts
msg #26725
Ignore ray_reeves
6/3/2003 5:09:51 PM

Muddy,

I have noticed some stocks do not show up on the scan when they appear to meet all of the requirements. LU today - 5/3/03, for example: Two dollar stock, touched lower band, 7 down days in a row and high volume. What am I missing?

Thanks for all of your help.

Ray

wallman
299 posts
msg #26728
Ignore wallman
6/3/2003 7:07:25 PM

HI RAY , you're welcome, in the case of LU it looks like it should be a match,tail is clearly below bb on magnify at prophetfinance,i've seen matches added to the filter later in the evening (RTNH TVIN last night),not sure when or why but have been told after 8pm est.,it has looked to me in the past that the filter does miss some,more than a couple some nights,iv'e found that it misses previous days failures quite often,at this time tonight(7pm est- see if matches change later) IGL PGE CLKS seem that they should be matches on a 50000 bumpdown,guess this is something for the stockfetcher team .....GOOD LUCK..MUDDY

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #26729
Ignore petrolpeter
6/4/2003 4:13:47 AM

Hi igOr,
For nice live daily charts for free download the MedVed Quotetracker,load up your symbols and when quotes are streaming,double clic on selected symbol for a customisable intraday chart.The latest version shows two intradays,current and yesterday.They show befor and after hours and are very accurate meaning where the prices are depicted on the chart is right where the brokers Bid/Ask/Last quotes are so I use them to trade off from.

no4j
45 posts
msg #26730
Ignore no4j
6/4/2003 11:20:02 AM

Thought you guys might be interested. I have been trading real dollars using Muddy's BB filter for some time now. Below are the stats for the positions I have closed:

Trades: 28
Average profit per trade: 9.7%
Average hold time: 9.6 days
Winners/Losers: 26/2

Of the open positions, I have 4 losers but they all come back with time. None have stopped out.

Keep in mind, the market has been very good lately.

no4j

wallman
299 posts
msg #26731
Ignore wallman
6/4/2003 12:08:49 PM

HI NO4J, looks like you've got it down real good,the 9.7% profit PER TRADE is super,especially when you take into account you've made 28 trades,not just a few,the hold time is about what i average also,around 10 days,i've averaged 9 out of 10 winners also so you and i are probably right on track with the same buys ......when you say the market has been good lately this is true,when it starts to head down i think you will notice that you will not have as many buys at 9:40 - 9:45 as not as many matches will show green,which is good for us as it will eliminate quite a few losers,in times such as that your win % may drop some,but i've found even in the bad period of jan - mid march of this year the profit per trade was very similar to the average of 9 - 10% you get now....couple ?'s,do you only play matches with decent tails and volume increases as i do,do you buy what comes up at the time as i do or do you try to rank them with your on DD,and finally do you try to keep your entry price under 3% above previous close which i ALWAYS do,....thanks and good luck,glad to see it's working out for someone.......MUDDY

rrochon
117 posts
msg #26732
Ignore rrochon
6/4/2003 12:50:43 PM

Muddy,

Do you ever buy Call options instead of shares on stocks when they go green? Many do not have options, but some do, and it seems that buying deep in the money calls could increase profits substantially.

For example today ABGX and EXEL both have options and ABGX Jul 5 calls pay 99 cents for every dollar the stock goes up. For an investment of $400 per contract, if the stock went up $1 the options would have gone to $499, a 25% profit. While 100 shares of the stock would have cost $885 and the gain of $100 would have been 11% profit.

EXEL options would have profited about 33% instead of 13% on a rise of $1 in the stock price.

Dick

no4j
45 posts
msg #26733
Ignore no4j
6/4/2003 1:15:08 PM

Hi Muddy! Thanks again for a great filter. I'm hoping that the results are as good as you say in the bad times. That will be great. I'm doing a few things a little different than you have suggested. This is what works for me. First, the ENTRY: I will NOT go below 50000 in average volume. If I need more stocks, I'll raise the price instead of going below 50000. Consideration in order of importance. 1. Volume increase or spike. That's a must. 2.The distance (in %) from the price to the 20 day moving average (BB centerline). 3. Then comes the tail. I use that criteria to rank the picks. Then I look at the chart for warm and fuzzy. Then it's the highest ranked stock that goes green! I don't have a fixed 3% rule but I look at #2 above and make sure it still has a long way to go. Usually, I get them between 0% & 1%. I quite often will buy 2 stocks if the 2nd one looks good. EXIT: I have found (for me) that your exit rules are causing 2 things that I don't want. One is that they sometimes give back profits before they get to a trigger point and I wind up settling for less. The other thing is that I wind up holding longer than I like. I like to keep um moving. My way of doing it is to wait until they are up 10% or hit the top BB. Then I will place a very tight stop (1%) or just sell, depending on the chart pattern and the RSI(14) value. You can spend a lot of time waiting for some of these to get the RSI up to 75. For me, 10% in 3 days is much better than 20% in 15 days.

Well, how does all that sound? It's working good for me but as I said it's a little different form your stragegy.

no4j

no4j
45 posts
msg #26734
Ignore no4j
6/4/2003 1:20:09 PM

Hi Muddy! Thanks again for a great filter. I'm hoping that the results are as good as you say in the bad times. That will be great. I'm doing a few things a little different than you have suggested. This is what works for me. First, the ENTRY: I will NOT go below 50000 in average volume. If I need more stocks, I'll raise the price instead of going below 50000. Consideration in order of importance. 1. Volume increase or spike. That's a must. 2.The distance (in %) from the price to the 20 day moving average (BB centerline). 3. Then comes the tail. I use that criteria to rank the picks. Then I look at the chart for warm and fuzzy. Then it's the highest ranked stock that goes green! I don't have a fixed 3% rule but I look at #2 above and make sure it still has a long way to go. Usually, I get them between 0% & 1%. I quite often will buy 2 stocks if the 2nd one looks good. EXIT: I have found (for me) that your exit rules are causing 2 things that I don't want. One is that they sometimes give back profits before they get to a trigger point and I wind up settling for less. The other thing is that I wind up holding longer than I like. I like to keep um moving. My way of doing it is to wait until they are up 10% or hit the top BB. Then I will place a very tight stop (1%) or just sell, depending on the chart pattern and the RSI(14) value. You can spend a lot of time waiting for some of these to get the RSI up to 75. For me, 10% in 3 days is much better than 20% in 15 days.

Well, how does all that sound? It's working good for me but as I said it's a little different form your stragegy.

no4j

no4j
45 posts
msg #26735
Ignore no4j
6/4/2003 3:17:41 PM

Sorry for the duplicate posting. Not sure why that happens. It has happened to me B4. Anyway, didn't do it on purpose.

no4j

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · bollinger bands 2<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.