StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · re: Narrow trading day<< >>Post Follow-up
raven4ns
23 posts
msg #33151
Ignore raven4ns
9/5/2004 9:10:07 PM

I'm trying to construct a filter to pick out stocks that have the narrowest daily range in past say 7 days or narrowest 2 daily ranges in past 7 days. They should have volume of a 100,000 or more. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Tim

robdavis
69 posts
msg #33154
Ignore robdavis
9/5/2004 11:23:46 PM

Tim,

There are many ways to write a filter. If you don't mind using long filters, and if you want to construct a filter to pick out stocks with the narrowest daily range in past 7 days, and if you also want a requirement on a minimum of 100,000 volume, I'd write...

/*Establish a reference range*/
set{Highest,high+0.001}
set{Lowest,low minus 0.001}

/*Count the highs and lows that comply with this reference range*/
/*Yesterday's bar*/
set{HighCount1,count(high 1 day ago is below Highest,1)}
set{LowCount1,count(low 1 day ago is above Lowest,1)}

/*The bar 2 days ago*/
set{HighCount2,count(high 2 days ago is below Highest,1)}
set{LowCount2,count(low 2 days ago is above Lowest,1)}

/*The bar 6 days ago*/
set{HighCount6,count(high 6 days ago is below Highest,1)}
set{LowCount6,count(low 6 days ago is above Lowest,1)}

/*Add up these 6 * 2 = 12 counts*/
set{count1,HighCount1+LowCount1}
set{count2,HighCount2+count1}
set{count3,LowCount2+count2}
set{count4,HighCount3+count3}
set{count11,LowCount6+count10}

/*Set a minimum limit for the number of highs and lows that have to comply with this reference range*/
and count11 is above 10 /*This count of 10 can be any number between 0 and 11.999*/

/*Add a global filter*/
and close is between 1 and 250
and volume 30 day low is above 100000

And once your new filter is working, you will be able to tweak it; you can, for example, gradually narrow the reference range, and observe how many stocks your new filter yields.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

raven4ns
23 posts
msg #33157
Ignore raven4ns
9/6/2004 11:33:01 AM

Hi Rob,
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to help me. I truly appreciate it. I will take your filter and play with it to see how it works. It was a thought that a narrow range day might give you an entry into a reasonably low risk trade. Once again, thank you.

Kindest regards,

Tim

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · re: Narrow trading day<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.