StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · trend lines<< >>Post Follow-up
jrbikes
624 posts
msg #52841
Ignore jrbikes
7/6/2007 10:55:11 PM

is there a scan that can give stocks that are trading in a channel that is at about a 45 degree angle, with the top and bottom trend lines in place? this would give a series of higher highs and higher lows, so you could trade at the trend lines. kinda like the old school trading before computers were mass available but just with the technology of today, know what I mean?

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #52842
Ignore nikoschopen
7/6/2007 11:29:46 PM

Give this one a try. I think you'll like it.

Fetcher[
close near the bottom linear regression line(60,0.75)
close above the top linear regression line(20,0.5)

60 day slope of top linear regression line(60,0.75) above 0

price above 5
avgvol(17) above 300000

stock not otcbb
]

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #52843
Ignore jrbikes
7/7/2007 12:10:27 AM

thanks niko, thats pretty neat, one more question, can you tweak that for stocks that are establishing this pattern coming off of a 52 week low, that have at least 2 higher highs and 2 higher lows, usually in the 60 day range off the 52 week low.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #52854
Ignore nikoschopen
7/7/2007 3:17:00 PM

In short, no. As you may have seen, the linear regression channel line doesn't exactly follow the trendline. I could probably write a filter to include "higher highs" and "higher lows" but I wouldn't know that they will align with any sort of clearly identifiable trendline. Then there are so many other variables to consider, such as how high must the second high be from the first high ($1 or 1-cent). StockFetcher has no way of knowing what we want to see on the chart and it'll spit out all types of stocks that are not even remotely close to what we had in mind, although they all technically match the description.

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #52871
Ignore jrbikes
7/8/2007 10:16:25 AM

interesting, Im not that good at these filters, I know what I want, but to write it is a different matter all together, thanks for the input, maybe I can come up with something!

rtucker
318 posts
msg #52889
Ignore rtucker
7/8/2007 10:04:04 PM

Maybe you can build a filter from these general statements. Sometimes the top and bottom lines resemble a trendline. Sometimes the count is "price swings" down to the line, or, the price can approach the botom line only once but hang around there for a few days, which, drives the count up.
Yup, we all know the pattern youre looking for, but I dont know if it can be done. I dont mind looking at a thousand charts to find one I use so this type of general method is ok with me.

Fetcher[set{ls, slope of linear regression(45) }
set{lbot,bottom linear regression(45)}
count(close < 1% above lbot,45) > 1
ls > .01

/*close is below middle linear regression(45)*/

add column lbot
draw linear regression(45)
do not draw ls
avg vol(90) > 100000
close > 10
]

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #52919
Ignore jrbikes
7/9/2007 8:07:15 PM

rtucker, that is exactly what I am looking for, now I believe I may have the answer to the beginning of the trend, it is new to me but maybe not new to anyone else, so forgive my fervor! it looks like you could make a nice % gain playing the trend lines! WOW, this is neat, thanks again!
got something else if your interested, I put it on a new post,entitled (one step below the Holy Grail)

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · trend lines<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.