StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · 545 PEOPLE vs. 300,000,000 By Charlie Reese<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
trendscanner
265 posts
msg #87770
Ignore trendscanner
modified
2/3/2010 4:53:27 PM

I'm definitely up for voting all incumbents out of office. I'm not convinced it would change a whole lot.

It's hard to have much of an impact on the world we live in. One thing I do is support small, locally-owned businesses whenever I I have a choice regarding a purchase. Small businesses have to compete in a true free market with real competition, not like many of the large mega-businesses who, through their major lobbying activities, are often part of the crony-capitalism oligopolies that have contributed significantly to the current economic problems. I'm not "against" the large companies, I'm just more "for" the smaller independent businesses.

Examples - I've moved my banking operations to a local credit union from Wachovia (now part of Wells Fargo). When I need something from a hardware store, I go to the small local hardware shop rather than Home Depot. When going out to lunch or dinner, I'll usually go to a small independent restaurant or pub (that have real character) rather than a large chain. If I need running shoes, I'll go to the locally owned small athletic shop rather than Sports Authority. Etc, etc. Minimize the amount of my money that goes to the Corporate-Government Borg.

These are small actions, for sure, and in the larger scheme of things, perhaps they don't make a big difference. But hopefully, in the aggregate, it helps the local economy and people in my community.

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #87775
Ignore karennma
modified
2/3/2010 7:21:35 PM

This "poor guy", .. "Ham", missed the biggest bull market in history. HE GAVE UP EXACTLY AT THE BOTTOM.
HE GOT OUT at EXACTLY the wrong time.
His comment, .. "bailout was a total waste of money" ... is especially unfortunate, since it was gov't intervention and the TARP money that moved the market up 60% in 9 mos.

============================================================================================
ham1198
- ham1198 3/5/2009 5:30:22 PM
TRO, you just made me MORE depressed. Thid country is going to pot. I'm more convinced now that the Dow is on its way to 4000. GM, Citi, BoA, AIG and a whole lot more are history. Get used to not seeing GM around any more, they are toast. This whole bailout was a total waste of money. This is all going to make the Great Depression seem like a tea party. Good luck to all. I sold everything today. Wish I sold months ago. At least I saved myself another 50% haircut.

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #87786
Ignore karennma
2/4/2010 9:22:55 AM

Trendscanner:
I commend you on your efforts.
I closed my acc't at BofA.
I still go to Home Depot tho'.
In fact, I was there yesterday, and the place was EMPTY. No long lines.
Three associates asked me if I needed help.
Ten yrs. ago, I could never get help @ HD.
I don't think they're doing well.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #87805
Ignore TheRumpledOne
2/4/2010 12:30:26 PM

"Change you can believe in"

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #87808
Ignore karennma
2/4/2010 12:50:23 PM

Look at the DOW.
This run is over!

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #87809
Ignore karennma
2/4/2010 1:08:18 PM

TheRumpledOne
- TheRumpledOne 2/4/2010 12:30:26 PM
"Change you can believe in"
===========================================================

I understand the bailout total is up to $12.8 Trillion now.
Well, I guess no one can accuse President Obama of being anti-Wall Street.

LOL!

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #87810
Ignore karennma
2/4/2010 1:11:22 PM

Where's da' money?

HERE

:>)

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #87811
Ignore karennma
2/4/2010 1:13:55 PM

I think the DOW will trade in a "range" as the gov't pays itself back.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · 545 PEOPLE vs. 300,000,000 By Charlie Reese<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.