StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · A market that makes no sense<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
tuck
2 posts
msg #67988
Ignore tuck
10/2/2008 1:19:35 AM

This bail out plan is about pacifying foreign investors. Overpaying for the toxic instruments and thereby supposedly propping up home prices isn't the point. That won't work. Many have pointed out that trying to prop up the institutions while letting prices bottom out is the correct approach. Try to salvage the institution not the bad asset. Which is what the Fed has been doing. But that wouldn't help foreign investors and they are probably threatening to dump Tbonds. Didn't you think it was incredibly strange when this was first announced they included foreign holders. It sounded like political suicide. Why would you include it if you were trying to gain support for a bailout? At any rate expect the instability to continue. Too many command economic/redistribution schemes are at or near the end of their life cycle.

heypa
283 posts
msg #67999
Ignore heypa
10/2/2008 11:38:30 AM

Observation. The market is down.
interpretation. Owners of stocks don't like the Bail out bill.
Owners of stocks don't think it will solve the Problem.
Owners of stocks don't like the nuclear deal with India.
Owners of stocks don't trust the politicians .
All of the above.
Some of the above.
None of the above.

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #68000
Ignore petrolpeter
modified
10/2/2008 12:35:26 PM

Owners of Cash : ) : ) : )

Let the Death Reaper into the room to claim his grim prize.(aw c'mon,it's Halloween.)

lctrcbddha
28 posts
msg #68005
Ignore lctrcbddha
10/2/2008 5:08:01 PM

Of course investors are screaming, but in a year or so they'll be even if not up.

In the meantime, traders are making bank. Up or down, volatility = profit.

marine2 wrote:
> What is value? How can anyone value a company? How can
> anyone at this time play the market other than day trading?
> Fundamental equation is out. Being a mad scientist is in. Our
> leaders are like 8 year olds given their daddys cars to drive
> New Yok Citys streets.

> Cash is in, trading for now is for people that have only a few
> days of life left. The market is going down. Play it and let me
> know how much you lose

dforant1
76 posts
msg #68007
Ignore dforant1
10/2/2008 7:14:42 PM

*heypa 10/2/2008 1:03:32 AM

It still has to pass the House.
I don't think it will work.
They want 90 days to study Mark to market effects. Good grief!
They really want time to figure out how to cover their ass for what they have done in the last few weeks. *

Wait till they put the Fox in charge of the hen house.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #68008
Ignore johnpaulca
10/2/2008 8:28:21 PM

This market is a trader's dream in my opinion....traders should be celebrating not complaining. With such volatility how could you not make money....cheers

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #68009
Ignore chetron
modified
10/2/2008 9:03:18 PM

HEAR, HEAR.

tuck
2 posts
msg #68010
Ignore tuck
10/2/2008 9:27:11 PM

Obviously its good for traders in the short term but I'm not so sure about the long run. If there's a meltdown you had better have made a lot and it had better be in the right form. What was the name of that movie? Oh yeah Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

marine2
963 posts
msg #68011
Ignore marine2
10/3/2008 12:40:07 AM

lctrcbddha, you mentioned how great this is for day traders. I have to agree at this point in time. Even though I stated a person would be desperate to play in this current environment. But remember there are millions and millions of investors that seek longer term investing not trading. Those are the people getting slaughtered. Yes, the market will eventually come back up and erase the losses. How long will it take no one knows. I don't think this recovery will be a knee jerk like some downturns we have witnessed in years past.

Some elderly investors do not have that long to wait. They live off their porfolios returns. They are scared to death. Their brokers tell them to stay the course and many of them do but they sure don't sleep well at night. I know you are only thinking about yourself, which is fine we all invest our different ways but the whip sawing we are seeing the last few days and upcoming ones will continue to keep most long term investors still in the market nervous, scared and feeling sick seeing their portfolios melt down. The millions of investors that moved to cash are frozen, not daring to dip into the market again until theres a time when the signs point that its ok again.

Some experts were guessing our market could go as low as the low 8000's. Now that would truely be the longer term base look back. Thus, if I am reading everyones sentiment that we will have more downside movement than upside for awhile. The traders out there would be trading into negativity, lower lows, downward trend. I would call that Negative Trend Swing Trading / Day Trading. I even hear traders want the short sale block to be removed. If they did that wow that will make for exciting times.

lctrcbddha, good luck on your day trading. Let us know how rich you get.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #68019
Ignore luc1grunt
modified
10/3/2008 7:36:23 AM

trading account is fine...long term accounts? ...ok, bloody red is not my favorite color. wifey's 401k...bloody.

saying that, we have time to ride through storms. many don't as marine stated.

those trading profits being moved into money market./ cd / treasuries (relatively secure assets) are yielding less than GDP/inflation. So, stale money begins to pile up. real estate/stocks/???

I'm sure 3rd QTR 401k statements are gonna make a few puke and create even more distress and unrest.

Big picture is ugly.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · A market that makes no sense<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.