StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · American auto companies 9/11 donations vs foreign car makers<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
marine2
963 posts
msg #69328
Ignore marine2
11/22/2008 10:03:14 PM

HOW SHORT SOME PEOPLES MEMORIES ARE...

Nothing needs to be said... Ford, Chrysler and GM's contributions after 9/11

An interesting commentary...You might find this of interest:

'CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington.

The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company also offered ER response ! team se rvices and office space to displaced government employees.

2. GM- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the sam e number and a fleet of vans, suv's, and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the
New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen-Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation,
funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi-Nothing.

8. BMW-Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat-Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in
August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi-Nothing.

14. Nissan-Nothing.

15. Porsche-Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota-Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001.
Condolences posted on the website Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to a car manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based company. Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed nothing at all to the citizens of the United States ... It's OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but it is apparently not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe we should not forget things like this. Say thank you in a way that gets their attention..

marine2
963 posts
msg #69338
Ignore marine2
11/24/2008 3:01:09 PM

What no comment from you American citizens ?

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #69342
Ignore chetron
11/24/2008 5:25:27 PM

i would hope that an american automaker was a better american than non-american automakers, even though they are ill-equipt to run a business.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #69343
Ignore luc1grunt
11/24/2008 6:56:07 PM

don't forget, America is the most generous on the planet. good post. Too bad $25 an hour to the lowest common denominator has not spread to those foreign companies listed. In that light, US automakers would not be so beaten down.

rharmelink
81 posts
msg #69375
Ignore rharmelink
11/25/2008 11:22:32 PM

>> Nothing needs to be said... Ford, Chrysler and GM's contributions after 9/11

Tell you what -- you pay me $500,000 and I'll donate most of it to charities too. Does that make me a good person?

I'm not a fan of companies giving charitable donations. It means they are taking away that opportunity from either their customers or their shareholders. I'd rather have individuals deciding which charities or causes are more important.

marine2
963 posts
msg #69407
Ignore marine2
11/27/2008 12:17:43 AM

rharmelink,
Over the course of a GM employee's career they donated regularly to various charity agencies. In the case of 9/11 GM and the other American auto companies compassionately gave to this sad but needed cause. No one needs to downgrade the generosity and human compassionate move our American auto companies did on this event.

Over the hundred years of American auto existance in our country they have given multi billions if not trillions of dollars back into our country. Yet there are people in our country that still feel they need to be driven into the dust. Yes, bankruptsy will change management and also change unioin and dealership contracts. That could be a good thing but if bankruptsy also meant the hundreds of thousands of penioners to lose 2/3 of their pensions because the Feds had to take over the pension responsibility then this would be very bad for the country and individual families. Workers that earned those hard earned pensions had to at least work 30 years to get any kind of decent pension money. Now people want to take that away. You think Detroit had bad riots back in the sixties that would be kindergarden behavior if their pensions got reduced to 1/3 and lost all their medical. Granted the 65 year old retirees would still get their Medicare but losing 2/3 of their pension would create ridiculous stress.

Let's hope sane minds will figure this out. I will add another thread following this one giving you what another writer at one of the papers wrote. It gives you another perspective of why people shouldn't be so hard on our American auto companies.

marine2
963 posts
msg #69408
Ignore marine2
11/27/2008 12:24:30 AM

This makes sense:

Beckmann: Members of Congress, not auto execs, deserve grilling
There was one major problem with this week's congressional hearings about the bid by Detroit's automakers for a government loan to stay in business -- the wrong people were under the gun.
Representatives and senators should have been answering questions from the automakers about why they approved government policies that have played the biggest role in driving American carmakers toward extinction.
The automakers have done what all businesses do -- they have created products their customers wanted to buy, and they have paid wages and benefits that were negotiated and agreed upon by management and labor.
Have they made mistakes? Of course -- from the Edsel to the Pinto, from the Corvair to the Cimarrron, from the Imperial to the K car, from job banks to full health care coverage for retirees.
Advertisement
As with all companies, Detroit's carmakers have paid for their errors in the market. They have suffered losses. And they have adjusted their product and policies to stay in business. What has pushed them to the brink has been a mortgage crisis and credit crunch not of their making.
This week, auto execs Rick Wagoner of General Motors, Alan Mulally of Ford and Robert Nardelli of Chrysler, along with United Auto Workers boss Ron Gettelfinger, were grilled by the ultimate second guessers, the politicians, most of whom don't have education degrees in economic fields or experience in making decisions on private employment, inventory and global competition.
One wishes the four could have asked the questions instead this week.
Why did members of Congress -- such as House Banking Chairman Barney Frank, Senate Banking Chairman Christoper Dodd and others -- raise fuel economy standards, adding more than $85 billion in costs as the industry was restructuring itself?
If the reason was forcing automakers to deal with higher gasoline prices, perhaps the politicians could explain why they have made fuel more scarce by blocking domestic drilling for oil and preventing new refineries from being built during the past three decades.
If global warming was the reason, perhaps the politicians could explain why some scientists now point to cooling temperatures while carbon dioxide levels continue to rise.
Our politicians like to claim the automakers have been slow to react to changing consumer demand. Perhaps they'd care to explain U.S. Energy Department figures that show flex-fuel vehicles, many made by the Detroit Three, accounted for a mere 6 percent of sales in 2007, while hybrid vehicle sales accounted for 2.6 percent of the market.
Politicians who insist on claiming that foreign manufacturers emphasize "green" technology over muscle might explain why sales last year of Toyota Tacoma and Tundra trucks were 30 percent higher than its hybrid vehicle sales.
Next, the execs and Gettelfinger could begin querying lawmakers about the credit crisis, born of government decisions that forced tens of billions of dollars in loans through Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to borrowers who were unqualified and high credit risks. This, in turn, has led to the reduced availability of credit for potential car buyers and helped send auto sales plunging.
We wouldn't expect the lawmakers to apologize for their lengthy list of mistakes. We wouldn't expect them to admit their role in creating the trouble. They never do.
But we should expect lawmakers to agree to these loans for the carmakers. After all, the credit record of GM, Ford and Chrysler is markedly better than that of Congress.

wirechild
11 posts
msg #69683
Ignore wirechild
12/8/2008 2:59:41 PM

I gave more than my share to different charitable organizations for different reasons. So I guess that makes me eligible for a handout from you? Let know when your ready to send it to me...

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #69693
Ignore luc1grunt
12/8/2008 6:54:37 PM

when my taxes go up, my sizeable charitable donations will go down. That's the way it is. But, the government knows how to better spend the money...they have proven it for years ;)

marine2
963 posts
msg #69695
Ignore marine2
12/8/2008 8:30:03 PM

Lol, yeah, the GAO knows how to spend your money wisely, like paying thousands of dollars for a toilet stool, etc, etc. That kind of professionalism always makes you feel proud your money is in good hands.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · American auto companies 9/11 donations vs foreign car makers<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.