StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Anyone know a better backtester?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
SFMc01
358 posts
msg #51791
Ignore SFMc01
5/24/2007 10:30:07 PM

SF backtester has problems, especially when we want to see results of daytrading ... buying and selling in the same day. Anyone know a better one?

juha
52 posts
msg #51822
Ignore juha
5/26/2007 12:53:16 PM

www.wealth-lab.com
www.smartquant.com
www.tradestation.com
www.esignal.com
www.stratasearch.com
www.omnitrader.com
www.tradecision.com
www.aiqsystems.com
www.neuroshell.com
www.tickquest.com
www.amibroker.com
www.equis.com

Need more? :)

rharmelink
81 posts
msg #51825
Ignore rharmelink
5/26/2007 8:01:24 PM

Juha -- All of those have survivorship bias, correct?

juha
52 posts
msg #51827
Ignore juha
5/27/2007 11:02:21 AM

rharmelink, sorry, I don't understand what you mean :( English is not my native language.

SFMc01
358 posts
msg #51834
Ignore SFMc01
5/27/2007 4:50:14 PM

Juha ... I know these are other systems, but, do you have personal experience that indicates they are better than Stockfetcher?

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #51835
Ignore Koronbock
5/27/2007 5:41:34 PM

Juha,

"Survivorship bias" means that the respective database keeps only the companies that survived to date. Companies that were bought out, went bankrupt or disappeared for other reasons are eliminated. They do this because it is easier to handle for them (statistically). But this also makes the whole database somewhat unreliable because in real life you can not eliminate these stocks from your portfolio in retrospect.

Hth

juha
52 posts
msg #51836
Ignore juha
5/27/2007 5:53:01 PM

SFMc01, I don't have personal experience with them cos I don't back-test. I don't back-test cos I have a strategy which works without any back-testing.

Koronbock, rharmelink, those companies from advertisiments places in hard copy of "technical analysis of stocks and commodities" magazine http://www.traders.com/S&C_homepg.html. So I suspect those companies are alive :) Also I beleive they are much better in intra-day backtesting than stockfetcher cos stockfetcher doesn't support intraday back-testing at all :) You can personally check every web site and decide if they worth a dime or not. I'm sure all of them are good companies.

SFMc01
358 posts
msg #51848
Ignore SFMc01
5/28/2007 12:02:21 PM

Great Juha .... what is your strategy?

juha
52 posts
msg #51864
Ignore juha
5/29/2007 3:00:22 AM

it's a zero sum game and most people will not disclose their real strategy and will not describe it in details to make it possible for others to do same things...
I'm shorting pre-market gainers on pre-market and some times during market hours...

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #51869
Ignore Koronbock
5/29/2007 4:58:30 PM

Hey Juha,

I dont think the general notion of what you are describing is true. There are tons of people who have gone out of their way to describe their method(s) in great length and detail. The Rumpledone is the most striking example. There are virtually dozens of methods he described including filters.
Others are Muddy, Cegis, Niko Schoppen, Petrolpeter guru trader and a ton of others. Just read their posts and you will find MANY detailed trading methods.

Zen of the day: If the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Anyone know a better backtester?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.