StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Anyone subscribing to IBD program? opion please.<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
danglin
37 posts
msg #53253
Ignore danglin
7/19/2007 9:03:50 AM

Well said. It's how you use the tools!

danglin
37 posts
msg #53254
Ignore danglin
7/19/2007 9:06:45 AM

Astro, email me at danglin462@aol.com with some of your Vector Vest setups. I am willing to show you what I have.

arby347
87 posts
msg #53324
Ignore arby347
7/22/2007 3:57:26 PM

Thanks Danglin for sharing your ways of handling IBD data.
I recently subscribed to the IBD electronic version and added the eTables.
Here are some questions and thanks in advance for your response.

1. Why are you using over 50 as one of your filters? Does it have something to do with the expectation of getting higher nominal gain? The striking prices of the options. Your experience of performance?

2. What about the other tables like the 85-15? Have you experimented with them?

3. The IBID 200 list comes out on Thursday. Many of these supposedly hve made the UIBID100 list. Have you utilized this list? It seems the data cannot be exported to excel. Would you have insight on how to profit from this list?

arby347
87 posts
msg #53325
Ignore arby347
7/22/2007 4:20:42 PM

Back again.
One more question for Danglin. You stated that there are currently 130 stocks on your watch list. How long are the stocks kept on the list that "survive" the filtering? The 130 are obviously not all current.

danglin
37 posts
msg #53341
Ignore danglin
7/23/2007 2:53:12 AM

1. Why are you using over 50 as one of your filters? Does it have something to do with the expectation of getting higher nominal gain? The striking prices of the options. Your experience of performance?

ANSWER: Stock price > $50 is indeed related to expectation of getting a higher gain on a percentage basis based on price movement. It is easier for a $50 stock to move to $51 (2$ increase) than a $10 priced stock to move $11 (20% increase). You need good price movement on the underlying security (plus your Greeks and Volatility) when you are trading options.

2. What about the other tables like the 85-15? Have you experimented with them?

ANSWER: I have not experimented with that yet.

3. The IBID 200 list comes out on Thursday. Many of these supposedly hve made the UIBID100 list. Have you utilized this list? It seems the data cannot be exported to excel. Would you have insight on how to profit from this list?

ANSWER: I have not used this list primarily because a lot of the stocks on this list end up on mine and I need to focus on maintaining just 1 list that I can manipulate and generate independently. There is nothing wrong with just using IBD 100. I prefer my list of criteria. I find CANSLIM to be better, though.

danglin
37 posts
msg #53342
Ignore danglin
7/23/2007 2:56:25 AM

I do flush my list once a month getting rid of stocks that don't pass a filtering process I use in Vector Vest. It's a dynamic list that gets updated frequently but indeed has a core number of stocks that stick around. These are the stocks that you get to know and trust like CROX, RIMM, AAPL to name a few

arby347
87 posts
msg #53357
Ignore arby347
7/23/2007 11:55:26 AM

I have made watch lists utilizing the other etables indexes after applying your methods and requiring "A"'s on some additional columns. Back testing is really not valid because of the fluidity of the list. Looking forward,it seems to make great sense to use criteria that IBD has created that already has been tested in time. Each one of their lists has beaten the S&P. Filtering proven successful fIlters and then using SF screening has got to work!

Here is a little thing to make things easier. In your stelpof deleting stocks that do not show an A- in their industry rating.In Excel,under the "custom" part of the autofilter, you can get "begins with" from the drop down. If you put"A" you will get the same results.

danglin
37 posts
msg #53376
Ignore danglin
7/23/2007 10:16:18 PM

arby347. Your input appreciated. Keep in mind that some of the SF filters one may want to use includes retracements and bottom fishing methods. Not just rocket trending stocks that might be too late to jump on. That's what the frequent IBD prescreen stocks are like.

Hanging on to your list of strong fundamental stocks which my IBD screening methods provide will allow for periods of retracement on these stocks that you can buy on the low end and profit on their uptrend which they will eventually do (because they are strong stocks).

Yor point well taken when you state the list is too liquid and Backtesting may not be valid beyond certain dates since some of these stocks may not have made it to the list on your start date yet.

Well, that is why I seldom Backtest. I Forward test using virtal trades while still trading live, of course. I base my confidence in my trading system on the foward testing results I see, as they unfold. Now which testing method would you prefer?

arby347
87 posts
msg #53379
Ignore arby347
7/24/2007 12:13:48 AM

My horizon is probably best labeled "swing-trader" I cannot be on a computer during market hours.
What I am trying to do is use a filter that has back tested well and has made money. My results are better than any back test because of the other things I look at.
In another thread awhile ago I shared the filter. It is very simple but very effective.
If you just place the LRS(20) in your settings and use other screens, you will see that a rise in the LRS(20)-the buy signal very often will precede what ever
filter you are using.

LRS(20) 2 days ago had been below 0 for 5 days
and LRS(20) 2 days ago had been decreasing for 5 days
and LRS(20) is increasing for 2 days

In my settings I show RSI, momentum, and accum-distribution. I like two see two out of the three being favorable. I check for stock formations and medium term trend. All these are subjective after the initial
screen. Also I exclude stocks for various reasons. For example I would not make a trade if the stock has not gone sideways for at least a week after a downward move. I also will pass on a stock that has gone up an enormous amount on the day it shows up on my SF screen. Another thing that keeps me away is a gap. I do not want to have to guess if its a runaway gap or an exhaustion gap.

My sells in the past have been triggered by a drop in the LRS(20). I am thinking of replacing this with a trailing stop methodology.

I have been trading mostly on the above with very little fundamental analysis. My results have been profitable, but I really have been seeking a way to systematically look at fundamentals. IBD's "stuff" with its combination of technical and fundamental factors should be very effective.

There is no way to test the combination of things I am doing. This is sort of like circumstantial evidence. Everything is pointing to this working very well

danglin
37 posts
msg #53380
Ignore danglin
7/24/2007 1:23:44 AM

Sounds quite interesting. I will check out this LRS(20). I believe that if you employ a good, fundamentally sound set of stocks to apply any reasonable system you will get better results. So Take the IBD selected stocks seriously. I am not saying you have to use my selection criteria, IBD 100 can do just fine.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Anyone subscribing to IBD program? opion please.<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.