(Or Options out more than 4 months)
THx.
Karen

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #125328
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/30/2015 3:13:16 PM

Nope - I have heard of them but never really looked at them for any of my systems. Is this something you are evaluating?

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125330
Ignore karennma
9/30/2015 5:40:29 PM

Yes, .. "evaluating".
I completely understand how the short term options work, but for the life of me, I can't understand Y on earth anyone would pay $$$$s of dollars for "leaps" (options 6 months out) because I KNOW (and please, take me literally when I say I KNOW), the extrinsic value of options isn't worth a can of beans from the Dollar Store as you get closer to expiration.
It's like buying a brand new car. Once you drive it out of the lot and get home, you've already lost 20% of your money.

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125352
Ignore karennma
10/1/2015 2:15:03 PM

I've started a Options thread in the "trading" forum.
We'll see how it goes.
:>/

gmg733
788 posts
msg #125398
Ignore gmg733
10/4/2015 1:36:53 PM

It's all about the Greeks Karen.

When the SPY broke its recent 12 month moving average I considered selling a calendar spread because I thought the market from a long term was going down and I wanted delta on my side for that long term move without having Theta eat away at profits. Calendars are good for that.

What I did instead is purchase the SH. No leverage but net result is about the same.

Another option would be to sell a long term calendar and buy short terms against it. Helps finance short term options and addresses brokerage margins vs naked.

I hope this helps. Been focusing on futures trading lately. :)

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Attn: KEVIN<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.