StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Consolidation Breakouts<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
Lillicotch
2 posts
msg #30702
Ignore Lillicotch
1/17/2004 7:25:52 PM

I am a strong advocate of Stan Weinstein's Book "Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets. His theory is simply to buy stocks at their 52 week high just as they cross above the top of their horizontal basing (channel) on very high volume. I don't have a problem phrasing the volume part of the screen, but I could certainly use some help developing the phrasing for the breakout at the top. I would prefer to deal with channels as opposed to Bollinger Banks.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LML

txtrapper
548 posts
msg #30703
Ignore txtrapper
1/17/2004 7:50:13 PM

Lillicotch

I am also an advocate of Weintein, I have found thru thirteen plus years of trading, that you need to look at the Weinstein pattern on a one and three year chart. After the stock starts basing, 99% of the time it will bounce off the
EMA(30) or the MA(20) channel line. Many of his stock patterns show up in the Darvas Box Filter I have learned. It's the most productive (money making), filter I've used to date.

Tx

Lillicotch
2 posts
msg #30713
Ignore Lillicotch
1/18/2004 6:38:33 PM

To Txtrapper:

Thanks for your prompt reply to my "Consolidation" posting. However, I am somewhat lost--what is the Darvas Box Filter? I'm brand new to Stockfetcher in the past month and I have seen some posts refering to it, but I have seen no explanation of what it is or what it does. Can you be a bit more specific and how does it tie into Weinstein's approach? From your response to me, it appears that you have had good success with this Darvas!

Lillicotch

txtrapper
548 posts
msg #30714
Ignore txtrapper
1/18/2004 7:40:12 PM

Lillicotch

Use the search button just below our posts, it a great tool to learn anything here on SF, enter........Darvas Box....you will get every mention of that tool. Try it.

Tx

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #30715
Ignore EWZuber
1/18/2004 7:58:15 PM

Here's a couple filters that I use to find potential breakout candidates.
I use Stochastics to find candidates close to an entry point and increase the odds of a successful breakout.

FIND STOCKS WHERE WEEKLY STOCHASTICS(5,3)FAST %K IS INCREASING AND CHART IS WEEKLY AND SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3) FAST %K IS INCREASING AND SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3) FAST %K IS LESS THAN 50 AND CLOSE IS NEAR 6 MONTH HIGH AND CLOSE IS BELOW 6 MONTH HIGH AND VOLUME(30) IS ABOVE 100,000 AND VOLUME IS ABOVE 100,000 AND CLOSE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 15.

or

FIND STOCKS WHERE WEEKLY STOCHASTICS(5,3)FAST %K IS INCREASING AND CHART IS WEEKLY AND SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3) FAST %K IS INCREASING AND SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3) FAST %K IS LESS THAN 50 AND CLOSE IS NEAR 1 YEAR HIGH AND CLOSE IS BELOW 1 YEAR HIGH AND VOLUME(30) IS ABOVE 100,000 AND VOLUME IS ABOVE 100,000 AND CLOSE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 15.

To eliminate stochastics from the equation;

FIND STOCKS WHERE CLOSE IS NEAR 1 YEAR HIGH AND CLOSE IS BELOW 1 YEAR HIGH AND VOLUME(30) IS ABOVE 100,000 AND VOLUME IS ABOVE 100,000 AND CLOSE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 15.

With any of these you can change the volume requirements and the close requirements. The term 'close' is reference to todays closing price.

All these screens backtest well lately since the market has been moving higher.

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #30734
Ignore petrolpeter
1/21/2004 5:00:14 AM

Here's another one for you Zube:
Fetcher[Chande Momentum Oscillator(14) has been icreasing for 2 days and Momentum(12) has been increasing for 2 days and Price and Volume Trend has been increasing for 2 days and Slope of Volume(5) is above 0 and Volume (50) is above 300000 and close is between 1 and 25 and date offset 0]

.Hang on to those ropes on these cause they either Go or Blow!A trader and columnist at RealMoney.com said he made millions on momentum and quiped that Cisco wouldn't be where it is today if people didn't buy 52 Wk. highs,sounds reasonable enough,maybe he doesn't reallize that we don't possess nerves of barbed wire.

defghca
150 posts
msg #30735
Ignore defghca
1/21/2004 7:10:17 AM

petrolpeter
what a lot of beautiful BB squeezes ! but a bit late.
can we devise a filter to catch them just as the alligator opens its mouth ?
thanks

txtrapper
548 posts
msg #30739
Ignore txtrapper
1/21/2004 10:49:23 AM

defghca

Just run a 1-3 day offset on petolpeter's fiter and you have the gators mouth closed.

TxTrapper

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #73471
Ignore chetron
4/11/2009 3:18:05 PM

CORRECTED SPELLING ERROR......

Fetcher[
Chande Momentum Oscillator(14) has been increasing for 2 days and Momentum(12) has been increasing for 2 days and Price and Volume Trend has been increasing for 2 days and Slope of Volume(5) is above 0 and Volume (50) is above 300000 and close is between 1 and 25 and date offset 0

]

miketranz
956 posts
msg #73472
Ignore miketranz
4/11/2009 5:20:11 PM

Read the book "How I made $2000000 in the stock market " by Nicolas Darvis,it will explain his methods for entering 52 wk high breakouts.Great read,a classic.......

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Consolidation Breakouts<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.