StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · DMA<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
fortyfour
189 posts
msg #96189
Ignore fortyfour
modified
9/11/2010 8:22:42 PM

Living in this tight TZA 5 day trading range . Which way will it go .......I have no opinion even though I sense and see the
bullish sentiment on the DOW etc... Rooting for European bank issues to prevail......on Monday.

heypa
283 posts
msg #96192
Ignore heypa
9/12/2010 1:24:06 PM

I'm confused.How can you use DMA in real time.Seems to me that when looking at the chart historically you have to know that the DMA values depicted in the past are not the same as they were when that day was the last day on the hard right edge of the chart.They have been changed by the price action of the 5 following days. This becomes obvious if you look at any chart with a large movement in any of the subsequent 5 following days.
I don't really know how stock fetcher fills in the blank days from the displaced average to the present.
Can anyone help me understand the logic of using DMA for trading decisions?

four
5,087 posts
msg #96193
Ignore four
9/12/2010 2:33:26 PM

http://www.thailandinvestorclub.com/download/E-Book/JOE%20DiNapoli%20,%20%20-%20Trading%20With%20DiNapoli%20Levels.pdf

Perhaps page 293 helps?

Joe DiNapoli seems to be "THE" guy for DMA.

HTH

tomm1111
202 posts
msg #96195
Ignore tomm1111
modified
9/12/2010 3:38:11 PM

I think the DMA will change daily until the offset value is reached. In this case -5. I believe a moving average is used looking forward to fill in the DMA value to current day. See example below.

http://help.stockfetcher.com/sfhelp/?id=100315&isiframe=&isiframe=

The high in comparison to the DMA 5 days and beyond may not be the same as current day. Meaning the entry signals specified may not be reliable. (The stoch crossover would still be valid but not the high less than DMA.) Please correct me if I am wrong.

One way to verify would be to write down the DMA value every day. After six days, compare the current day DMA with what you have wrote down.

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #96197
Ignore fortyfour
9/12/2010 3:50:18 PM

I like it....thats all.
I spend zero time on the derivation of indicators.
To me it is just a visual thing.....For a couple/(few) days the entire day bars are below the indicator lines.
I have tried many...many indicators to find oversold setups and honestly dont care which one I use as they are all the same.
I am / was aware of the past threads howling over this ridiculous indicator.
To each his own......

heypa
283 posts
msg #96205
Ignore heypa
9/12/2010 11:14:24 PM

Four...Good grief! Nowhere in the referenced book in any proposed trading methods described does the author use a displaced backward moving average. It was an interesting read however. Thank you.

heypa
283 posts
msg #96206
Ignore heypa
9/12/2010 11:19:24 PM

Tomm1111 Thanks for the reference. The method used is how i suspected from the appearance of the charts. I just didn't bother to look it up.

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #96210
Ignore fortyfour
9/13/2010 9:27:10 AM

Will be selling TZA..... for a loss .....on a pullback if available at 10:30ish.....

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · DMA<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.