StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · DOW makes new high<< >>Post Follow-up
karennma
8,057 posts
msg #82698
Ignore karennma
11/9/2009 1:30:07 PM

Bull market still in place.

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #82760
Ignore fortyfour
11/10/2009 2:03:56 PM

Going the other way here.

Thanks again.

TrendSurfer
109 posts
msg #82762
Ignore TrendSurfer
11/10/2009 2:22:19 PM

Come on fortyfour, it's 50-50 at best at this point. But have to admit the start of this post and it's sentiment may just tip the odds in your favor. All in fun guys :)

TS

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #82767
Ignore trendscanner
11/10/2009 3:16:10 PM

Here's my "the market will rally through Christmas" theory. Maybe I'm crazy but here's what I think.

Given:
1. the dependency of the American economy on robust consumer spending, especially discretionary consumption
2. the high proportion of discretionary spending that occurs during the Christmas season
3. the strong desire of the "Powers That Be" (PTB) to assauge the concerns of a financially-rattled population and instill a hope that things will "return to normal" (e.g., circa 2005) any day now.

Then - the thing that the PTB most want to avoid is a stock market collapse or even major pullback right as the peak consumer buying season is about to begin in earnest. If the stock market were to tank right now, then the already rattled consumer would get even more skittish about spending money on unnecessary consumables and the upcoming Christmas selling season, which is already on thin ice and likely to underperform by historic standards, is likely to be a complete disaster, which would send the economy further down a black hole.

Based on this theory, I would expect the PTB to do whatever is necessary to keep this almost 9 month rally intact through the Christmas season. Once Christmas is over, all bets are off.

Through Christmas then, I'll continue to (cautiously) play the bull market rally game - buying the dips, selling the peaks.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · DOW makes new high<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.