StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Day Trading Question<< >>Post Follow-up
glider
59 posts
msg #38112
Ignore glider
9/20/2005 5:41:47 PM

Does anyone know the answer to the following:
I own 1,000 shares of a particular company. On a given day, I buy 500 additional shares. Later the SAME day, I sell 500 shares. Is this regarded as a day trade considering I already owned 1,000 shares. Could the 500 sold be from this 1,000 lot?
Thanks

pmperreca
1 posts
msg #38114
Ignore pmperreca
9/20/2005 7:32:35 PM

Sure you can designate any lot that you want, in fact for tax purposes it does indeed make a difference, on my etrade account it asks you what lot you want to sell when you go to sell stock if you have more shares then you are selling

da-net
55 posts
msg #38125
Ignore da-net
9/21/2005 4:30:56 PM

It is interesting that you asked this question as my purpose for using SF was so that I might have some fun and trade BB (under $1.00) stocks. I use my same rule set with trading them that I do with trading ETFs and options. That is I make an initial purchase one day or several the same day, press the trade on additional days and sometimes liquidate the entire position on the same day I made the last purchase. So far the BD I use has not said anything about being classified as a day trader, however I believe the NASD and SEC could make a case for daytrader status but it would be a little flawed and could be challenged.

The previous poster indicated that Etrade has them choose which lot, this is probably because Etrade wants to cover their liability. Perhaps others might be able to shed more light on the subject.

drew9
171 posts
msg #38128
Ignore drew9
9/21/2005 10:26:24 PM

I am an E*Trade customer and they specifically list on their website what it takes to be considered a Day Trader. As for the lots being sold, they only ask due to the tax consequences. I have held stocks long term and added to my positions. If you sell the lot you recently purchased it could mean the difference between short and long term capital gains. Not many folks on this board probably worry about long term gains but that is the reason!

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Day Trading Question<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.