StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Debugger question<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
DrJimO
35 posts
msg #124501
Ignore DrJimO
7/23/2015 10:29:14 PM

Is there some trick to running the debug consistently. When writing a filter it will sometimes works fine, and other times (on a very simple filter) I can't get it to run at all. Is there some sequence of events I'm not following or??

Toad
20 posts
msg #124504
Ignore Toad
7/24/2015 12:54:42 AM

I have the same issue...it's not just you.

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #124507
Ignore mahkoh
7/24/2015 6:07:18 AM

DrJim,

Usually it is just a misplaced comma or bracket. Posting your actual filter will make diagnosis much easier.

DrJimO
35 posts
msg #124509
Ignore DrJimO
7/24/2015 12:30:30 PM

Mahkoh

Understood. But what I'm talking about is NOT a simple syntax error. This happens with many different filters. all of which have gone thru the debug process before and are know working OK. When I go to the debug tab, essentically nothing happens. These are filters that have been run thru debug before and produced a series of "OK" with no error. Seems to have something to do with where (or how) I enter debug.??? It's very confusing.

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #124510
Ignore mahkoh
7/24/2015 12:55:10 PM

I never use the debug button. When I write a filter I either get tickers returned or not. If there is nothing returned there are two possibilities: I made an error in my syntax or there simply aren't any stocks to satisfy the requirements.

As an example, the statement 'volume above 500000' will gradually return more symbols as the day progresses.

DrJimO
35 posts
msg #124511
Ignore DrJimO
7/24/2015 1:49:52 PM

The problem with that is that some tickers may be returned even tho the filter has an error in it. That's OK for simple filters, but unacceptable for long ones. I'm a former professional programmer in several languages. I'm quite comfortable checking programs line-by-line. A line missed due to a syntax error can be the difference between success or failure. StockFetcher does not appear to abort if there is an error in a line. Seems to me that it executes up to the error and only the lines following the error do not execute. Thus, if the error is near the end of the filter, it still returns results but they may not be exactly what you are looking for.

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #124512
7/24/2015 1:55:31 PM

Hi,

When you have a chance, please send us the full filter text and details to support@stockfetcher.com.

We'll be happy to take a look.

Best Regards,
StockFetcher.com Support

DrJimO
35 posts
msg #124513
Ignore DrJimO
7/24/2015 2:28:25 PM

It's really not specific to any filter. Sometimes it works fine, and another time on same filter, debug doesn't seem to be executing properly. I'll see if I can find a filter that exhibits the problem,

DrJimO
35 posts
msg #124515
Ignore DrJimO
7/24/2015 3:54:31 PM

Support:

Here's a simple filter I'm trying to write. Like I said above, I'm new to StockFetcher, but I am an experienced programmer in several languages. Debug runs on this and shows an error on the set statement but the filter still produces results. However, if I uncomment the draw line below the set, the filter produces nothing. And, if I go to debug from customize, the uncommented line still appears commented. I don't understand the sequence here - can you explain?

What I'm trying to do is count the days where the day high exceed the days open by 10% and produce a bar plot below the chart. I've seen this done on several filters, but can't seem to make it work.

/* Get difference between high and open */
set {DailyHiOpen, high - open }

/* Count days where hi to open range exceeds 10 percent */
Set { ScalpDays, Count(DailyHiOpen > 1.10, 14) }
/* and draw Scalpdays */

/* Pick the issues*/
Show stocks where price is >= 1 and price < = 2
and average volume(14) above 100000
and chart-length is 14 days

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #124517
7/24/2015 4:16:31 PM

Thank you for the example. You see results with the "draw" command commented out because the variable in question is never actually utilized in your filter.

Additionally, when we removed the comments around the line in question, we do see results and no error is reported. However, the plot that appears for that variable 'ScalpDays' is a constant 0 -- so no values are visible on the chart.

Hope that helps!
StockFetcher Support

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Debugger question<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.