StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ETF Filter, emphasizing RSI<< >>Post Follow-up
glgene
613 posts
msg #37264
Ignore glgene
8/2/2005 4:25:45 PM

Here is an ETF (Exchange Trade Funds) filter I wrote, and in the 1-line output it shows RSI(14) for today and the 3 previous days. Sort is on RSI(14) today. By visualizing four successive days of RSI numbers, it quickly shows which ETF baskets of stocks are making steady progress. Look at EWW (Mexico). The best of the ETFs (4 straight days of increased prices). By the way, it went up again today for the 5th straight day.

Question: What kind of minimum volume would you suggest in the filter?
Also, would you recommend any other improvements? Would you DRAW any more charts?

Fetcher[/* ETFs showing 4 days of RSI(14) */
stock is etf
stock close is greater than 10
add column rsi(14)
add column rsi(14) 1 day ago
add column rsi(14) 2 days ago
add column rsi(14) 3 days ago
draw parabolic
draw adx(14)
draw rsi(14)
draw cci(25)
draw macd(12,26)
draw ema(13)
draw ema(30)
sort on column 5 descending
rsi(14) is greater than rsi(14) 1 day ago
]

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #37266
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/2/2005 7:36:28 PM

Fetcher[/* ETFs showing 4 days of RSI(14) */

set{rrb,days(rsi(14) is above rsi(14) 1 day ago,100)}
set{rra,days(rsi(14) is below rsi(14) 1 day ago,100)}
set{rxr, rra - rrb}

add column rxr

add column rsi(14)

draw parabolic
draw adx(14)
draw rsi(14)
draw cci(25)
draw macd(12,26)
draw ema(13)
draw ema(30)

sort on column 5 descending

stock is etf

stock close is greater than 10

]

Column rxr will tell you how many days rsi(14) has been going up (+) or down (-).

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

glgene
613 posts
msg #37269
Ignore glgene
8/3/2005 12:09:13 AM

To: TheRumpledOne

I don't understand your two lines of SF scripting (but I certainly enjoy the results):

set{rra,days(rsi(14) is below rsi(14) 1 day ago,100)}

"1 day ago, 100?" Please elaborate ... please. I don't get it.

GL Gene

jclaffee
81 posts
msg #37270
Ignore jclaffee
8/3/2005 12:15:11 AM

Re: volume and charts

You're into areas of personal preference, I think. I would set a volume criterion that caused SF to pull up only those issues I'd be interested in trading. . .I wouldn't be interested in trading EWW because of the skimpy true daily range. IWM, IBB and XLF are about the only ETFs that THIS individual is interested in along with SMH and OIH on the Hldrs side. (SPY, DIA and QQQQ are the playground of traders who are a lot more adept and well-heeled than I and I don't choose to give them a shot at my money!)

As to charts, I'd ask myself the question that a Sales Manager ought to ask himself when he requires another daily activity report from his salesmen: what action am I going to take based on this when I get it? There's a point at which one risks "paralysis by analysis"! Is there any other chart which would provide information essential to your making an entry/exit decision?

Jim

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #37281
Ignore Koronbock
8/3/2005 12:25:01 PM

Glgene,

rump is trying to make your life easier and giving you some examples. But he is a VERY experienced programmer and SF wizzard, thus this may intimidate you.

I will give you the "plain English version" of the last statement:

Original: set{rrb,days(rsi(14) is above rsi(14) 1 day ago,100)}

Plain English:
1. Create a variable called RRB
2. Check if RSI(14) of today is above RSI(14) of yesterday
3. DAYS will give you the number of days since that event has occured
4. The total period you are looking at is 100 days
(Only the last 100 days are checked for this event).

In other words: If the above statment returns a 10, you know that the above has ocurred 10 days ago.

Hope this helps.

, which is comparing the RSI(14), namely

glgene
613 posts
msg #37286
Ignore glgene
8/3/2005 3:13:44 PM

Koronbock,

I understand #1, #2, and #3. I don't understand #4 (what does a 100-day lookback mean? Do you mean the chart is showing 100 days instead of the default 3 months? Or what? Please elaborate ... and thank you for your kind response.

GL Gene

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #37305
Ignore Koronbock
8/4/2005 3:46:17 AM

Gene,

Since we are dealing with the DAYS function here ("How many days have passed since the event in question") you have to tell SF a period to look at. It could be 50 days (SF will then look at the last 50 days) or any other period. It is simply looking at the last 100 days to check the DAYS condition.

Hope this helps.

Also if you want to learn programming I would suggest you start with simple syntax (no "nested statements" = statements within statements). Most filters can be written in very simple language. Nested statements will make the code shorter, but also more complicated.

Cheers and happy learning.

glgene
613 posts
msg #37308
Ignore glgene
8/4/2005 9:31:52 AM

Koronbock,

You're talking to a newbie SF scripter. You said, "simple syntax (no "nested statements" = statements within statements). Give me an example of each so I can fully relate to what you're saying. My BASIC programming days were 30 years ago, and they ARE basic. But I'm willing to expand, and I'm working on improving my SF scripting skills.

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #37330
Ignore Koronbock
8/5/2005 3:51:00 PM

Gene,

What I am trying to say is, try to simplify things, especially in the beginning.
Let me give you an example: The above statement:

can be broken down into smaller and more intelligible parts. For example:

set {rrb1,rsi(14) }
set {rrb2,rsi(14) 1 day ago }
set {rrb, days(rrb1 is above rrb2, 100)}

You will get the same results. Just experiment, write your own simple filters and look at other peoples code. We hav all been there, you can also make it.

Hope this helps.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ETF Filter, emphasizing RSI<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.